ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP EXTREME Problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP EXTREME Problem

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Omelette Du Fromage

Rep: 0
ZOTAC GTX 1070 AMP EXTREME Problem

Good evening,

I have an issue with my gpu and I would like opinions on the matter.

During a game session my computer just "hard froze" meaning black screen with sound freeze too, no BSOD, just black screened. No signal on the display(sleep mode) and the computer just froze so I had to turn it off by long pressing the power button.
After rebooting the motherboard showed a message/warning saying that it needed to load the optimized default settings(That's why I thought the PSU had borked my motherboard and/or my GPU).
I did then reboot again to put back my OC settings and stuff.
When I tried to reboot the computer it turned on but the display stayed on sleeping mode. The computer turns on everytime and "boot normally"(motherboard POST ok = code A0) but the display turns on and go in sleep mode unless I plug the computer on the onboard graphics(and then I can boot with no issue).

After trying different things :
- switching pci-e ports ==> no luck
- switching graphics card outputs ==> no luck
- resetting the BIOS by clearing the CMOS ==> no luck
- reflashing the BIOS with the latest available ==> no luck
- uninstalling nvidia drivers with DDU ==> no luck
- switching power supply(I had a 6 or 8+ years 660W Gold Seasonic PSU which was doing weird noises so I thought it was the culprit and bought a better one ; still the same issue but I really needed it anyway)
- switching to onboard graphics on the cpu using the motherboard output (which I am on since then) and it works.
- I, then, tried to clean the pci-e port it was in before the issue and plug it back in and it booted up. I thought I was safe so I launched the game again to see if it withstood the charge and after maybe 5-10mins it did the same thing...hard freeze + black screened. And since then back to onboard graphics with default motherboard settings. The GPU doesn't smell burnt I think. It's pretty clean. The warranty is passed by 8 months and I didn't know I had to register in the first 28 days to get the 3 years extension warranty so ZOTAC won't RMA it. There is a power led on the card near the power connectors that lights up green like always but I get no signal.
I'm not sure that the GPU is dead and the only hardware shop that can test it for me is asking 25€ to plug it and a lot more for long testing and that's a no for me. I don't have anybody I know that can try it on his rig for me either.
So what do you think and what should I do?

Last edited by LeGiTT; 05-17-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Mining the DB

Rep: 114 (Unique: 98)
Is the GPU still under warranty? It sounds like its not happy and its very hard to try troubleshoot without a second PC to test on.

The virtualizer
(11 items)
Sufrfacing
(0 items)
CPU
E5-2670
CPU
E5-2670
Motherboard
Dell PowerEdge R720
RAM
Dell Default
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 256GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 5TB Barracuda(ST5000LM000)
Power Supply
Dell PowerEdge 750W
Power Supply
Dell PowerEdge 750W
Case
Dell PowerEdge R720
Operating System
Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Omelette Du Fromage

Update*

After some more troubleshooting I found the real issue. What I did to arrive to that conclusion :
- I waited until I couldn't anymore and decide that I was gonna pay the shop the 25€ to test the GPU and just before going out I decided to search the web for something I didn't tried yet.
- After thinking about any and everything I could for an hour or two, I search for DisplayPort issue reports and found a ton of people reporting the same problem. One solution, in particular, was acknowledged to work so I said to myself I've got nothing to lose and tried it before going out. And as dumb as this solution sounds it worked! The solution was to turn off the computer and unplug the display from everything(from power source and PC) and let it sit for 60 seconds or more and then plug everything back up again and start the computer. My rig worked like a charm for 4-5 hours straight, I was so astonished I almost cried and wanted to throw the PC out the window or for it to be human so it can get cancer and feel as bad as I felt for 2 weeks+. I ran Heaven\Valley benchs on extreme settings for the entire time to be sure the GPU wasn't faulty while taking a nap. I woke up and it was still running no problem. I was so happy. Then I started to watch a stream while surfing on tech sites preparing myself to close this thread and the problem came back out of nowhere...just like this. I wasn't even mad nor sad, lol, because I was relieved that my GPU wasn't faulty. I turned the PC off, removed the GPU and went back to the iGPU instead. Everything was working but I noticed that the wiggling the DP cable was making the screen go black...and started remembering the numerous occasions my screen went black for no reason at all...but moving the mouse seemed to brush the problem away so I didn't figure.
One thing I noticed in the OSD of the display was weird settings when the GPU was plugged in for example : 0hz instead of 144hz and other stuff(thought it was a firmware issue but it wasn't). But the OSD was ok when using the iGPU displaying everything fine. I just had found the culprit! (I can't, for the life of me, explain why the cable worked when using the iGPU from the motherboard DP and not with my GTX1070...maybe power requirements Idk?????)
To be sure of that and that my GPU and display ports weren't fried, the next day I went and bought a HDMI cable(waiting for the new DisplayPort cable I ordered off Amazon to arrive a few days later) in an electronics shop near my house and tried it with the GPU and it worked right away flawlessly for the rest of the day(but at 60hz because HDMI 2.0 can't manage 144hz) so I was sure that I had found the real problem.
By the grace of the shaman disciple that I wish to be, my new DP cable arrive 2 days earlier and by that I mean in the evening of the events so I swapped it with the HDMI cable and it's been working flawlessly since. I even played games and kept the rig running all night until now with no issue whatsoever. I'm so relieved.
- About the DisplayPort cable : while searching for reports on it, I stumbled on a Geforce forum post that talked about the original DP cable coming with his display killing 2 GPUs of his and the troubleshooting he has done so far and other diverse forum posts about certified VESA DisplayPort cables and other stuff. I search for a certified DP cable brand on a website referencing them by models and serial numbers, found one really well reviewed off Amazon for 28€, bought it and it is perfect. The original DP that came with my display is in the trashbin. Really bad quality.

Case closed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
If it makes you feel better, I got Philips 5K monitor with 2 DP cables, I already RMA 1 monitor for such problems and when it continued with the new replacement monitor I googled and found the DP issues and decided to buy 2 new DP cables, Bought Vention DP 4K60Hz model for ~$20 and they are perfect, more then year without a problem.
So if they go cheap for such expensive monitor- better to always test bad DP cables for similar issues before changing parts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Omelette Du Fromage

@Hwgeek Misfortune of others doesn't make me feel better at all unless they are bad people or I have personal grudge against them lol. It's sad that you, I and many others had to go through this for the price we payed our hardware. Mine is a Acer Predator XB271HU and it is pricey too. The thing is, it never occured to me that the DP cable which didn't move for so long could just decide to go bad on its own. I didn't have spare cables to try either way but damn they need to check themselves and stop cheaping out on the essentials. It could have cost me a lot more than cables because of their stupidity.

Last edited by LeGiTT; 05-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in