Slow 2080 Ti - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Slow 2080 Ti

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 73)
Slow 2080 Ti

Greetings everyone, I just purchased a spanking brand new 2080 Ti along with an i9-9900K CPU and a new motherboard.

Took them for a test drive and noticed my 2080 Ti didn't seem to perform particularly better than my older 1080 Ti. Ran a couple of benchmarks and I was right. It beat my previous Strix 1080 Ti by 6-9%.

I then compared its performance to other benchmarks such as Eurogamer and mine tend to be much lower. For instance, Eurogamer's benchmark of AC: Odyssey averages 52fps, mine averages 43fps. Using the same settings. In Far Cry 5 I average 59fps. they average 76. I seem to be in the ballpark of a 1080 Ti rather than a 2080 Ti.

I moved the card from the bottom PCIe slot to the top one. Made sure it ran at 16x, checked the temps, uninstall all old drivers using DDU, did a clean install of Windows, updated my motherboard's BIOS and everything under the sun but nothing does it. It performs poorly both in games and in benchmarks. It's only marginally better than a 1080 ti when it should beat it by 20%+ and not by a meager 6-9%. I do not have another PC I can test it on at the moment. GPU usage is also at 99% in those runs. The more I test it the more I suspect a faulty card or a faulty motherboard. Checked the temps, it's not going above 65C, no thermal throttling and I can see the clocks going up to 1750MHz on boost. No idea why it's so slow however.

CPU: i9-9900K 5GHz
GPU: EVGA RTX GeForce 2080 Ti Black Edition
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI
Storage: Samsung Evo 960 256GB m.2

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Juub; 05-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Da Boss

Rep: 140 (Unique: 121)
I'm guessing faulty card which can happen. Contact EVGA. They are wizards when it comes to customer support and RMA.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Juub View Post
Greetings everyone, I just purchased a spanking brand new 2080 Ti along with an i9-9900K CPU and a new motherboard.

Took them for a test drive and noticed my 2080 Ti didn't seem to perform particularly better than my older 1080 Ti. Ran a couple of benchmarks and I was right. It beat my previous Strix 1080 Ti by 6-9%.

I then compared its performance to other benchmarks such as Eurogamer and mine tend to be much lower. For instance, Eurogamer's benchmark of AC: Odyssey averages 52fps, mine averages 43fps. Using the same settings. In Far Cry 5 I average 59fps. they average 76. I seem to be in the ballpark of a 1080 Ti rather than a 2080 Ti.

I moved the card from the bottom PCIe slot to the top one. Made sure it ran at 16x, checked the temps, uninstall all old drivers using DDU, did a clean install of Windows, updated my motherboard's BIOS and everything under the sun but nothing does it. It performs poorly both in games and in benchmarks. It's only marginally better than a 1080 ti when it should beat it by 20%+ and not by a meager 6-9%. I do not have another PC I can test it on at the moment. GPU usage is also at 99% in those runs. The more I test it the more I suspect a faulty card or a faulty motherboard. Checked the temps, it's not going above 65C, no thermal throttling and I can see the clocks going up to 1750MHz on boost. No idea why it's so slow however.

CPU: i9-9900K 5GHz
GPU: EVGA RTX GeForce 2080 Ti Black Edition
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XI
Storage: Samsung Evo 960 256GB m.2

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
I can't remember where it is but on my 1080ti PC I was only getting like 1070/80 performance even though it was at 100% load and I reinstalled everything from driver to windows and couldn't find the issue then I stumbled across a boot section in windows that let's you set the CPU cores from 1 to 8 in my and as soon as i set it to 8 all my performance came back.
Its the part of windows where you can select what processes start on win start up and you can filter out Microsoft processes!
Pretty vague but might help as i tried everything and was getting ready to smash something. My PC worked flawlessly for 2 yrs in this configuration then just last month started with less performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by 2ndLastJedi View Post
I can't remember where it is but on my 1080ti PC I was only getting like 1070/80 performance even though it was at 100% load and I reinstalled everything from driver to windows and couldn't find the issue then I stumbled across a boot section in windows that let's you set the CPU cores from 1 to 8 in my and as soon as i set it to 8 all my performance came back.
Its the part of windows where you can select what processes start on win start up and you can filter out Microsoft processes!
Pretty vague but might help as i tried everything and was getting ready to smash something. My PC worked flawlessly for 2 yrs in this configuration then just last month started with less performance.
It's in msconfig in the boot tab. Gonna try it out. Not sure this will work though.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 359 (Unique: 236)
Fully updated mobo, nvidia drivers, and Windows correct?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by 2ndLastJedi View Post
I can't remember where it is but on my 1080ti PC I was only getting like 1070/80 performance even though it was at 100% load and I reinstalled everything from driver to windows and couldn't find the issue[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG] then I stumbled across a boot section in windows that let's you set the CPU cores from 1 to 8 in my and as soon as i set it to 8 all my performance came back.
It's in msconfig in the boot tab. Gonna try it out. Not sure this will work though.
Thats it, good luck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1793 (Unique: 1172)
Well, 1080 Ti Strix is probably in 19XX MHz range while you are saying your 2080 Ti is 17XX. That is 10% loss in performance right there. Add the fact that 2080 Ti is only 20-25% faster and really you end up with your performance. You also have to run them and benchmark them at the same time. Run synthetic benchmarks and see how fast that 2080 Ti. Games will be hard to test since areas can effect fps greatly.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I would RMA... it's not acceptable!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
Well, 1080 Ti Strix is probably in 19XX MHz range while you are saying your 2080 Ti is 17XX. That is 10% loss in performance right there. Add the fact that 2080 Ti is only 20-25% faster and really you end up with your performance. You also have to run them and benchmark them at the same time. Run synthetic benchmarks and see how fast that 2080 Ti. Games will be hard to test since areas can effect fps greatly.
Something is confusing me. I enabled monitoring while running some benches. I added +220MHz to the core and +300MHz to the memory to what I believe are reference clocks. While running Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for some reason at times, my clock speed caps out at 1680MHz or so and it gives me an average of 55fps. At other times, it caps out at 2050MHz or even 2080MHz which is way higher than the overclock I applied(which should let it boost to 1870MHz or so). With that said, my performance increases by a significant amount. I go from 55fps average to 63fps average. Then in benchmarks I go from 32K in Fire Strike graphics score to 36K. A slight boost shouldn't net such a huge improvement in performance.

It doesn't thermal throttle either. Max temps are 70C.

Quote: Originally Posted by MacMus View Post
I would RMA... it's not acceptable!
I'm trying to figure out exactly what's wrong with it before doing something.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 125 (Unique: 92)
Something is confusing me. I enabled monitoring while running some benches. I added +220MHz to the core and +300MHz to the memory to what I believe are reference clocks. While running Shadow of the Tomb Raider, for some reason at times, my clock speed caps out at 1680MHz or so and it gives me an average of 55fps. At other times, it caps out at 2050MHz or even 2080MHz which is way higher than the overclock I applied(which should let it boost to 1870MHz or so). With that said, my performance increases by a significant amount. I go from 55fps average to 63fps average. Then in benchmarks I go from 32K in Fire Strike graphics score to 36K. A slight boost shouldn't net such a huge improvement in performance.

It doesn't thermal throttle either. Max temps are 70C.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what's wrong with it before doing something.
Sounds like power limits/throttling??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

You're just nitpicking words now. I was talking about in terms of performance, those are the only measurements that matter. Not IPC or clock speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi go_quote.gif

If Bulldozer came out of the box at 5 ghz and overclocked to 6 ghz on air, no one would have said it was a failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in