Dell Laptop - GTX 1050 - W & W/O Displaylink - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dell Laptop - GTX 1050 - W & W/O Displaylink

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Dell Laptop - GTX 1050 - W & W/O Displaylink

Hi All

Just a random question hoping someone has any advise/experience with this.

I just got a new dell laptop with a GTX 1050 inside, I have it connect to a Dell 3100 dock which is a displaylink dock.

I ran the Valley benchmark and it was terrible on my monitors, with FPS of 6 lol. I have just run it now with it not plugged into the dock and FPS was 32.6, massive increase.

Is this the docks fault? What is going on I though the dock was just an expansion of ports but it seems to have a massive negative effect on the laptops performance?

Is there a fix for this, as when I do game on it, I want to game on my monitors not the laptop screen.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 74 (Unique: 62)
What is the model number of the laptop?

Edit: The Dell D3100 is not meant for gaming. You can connect a display directly to your laptop's HDMI port without the drop in framerates though.

Last edited by speed_demon; 07-10-2019 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It's a Vostro 7590. Its my work laptop but occasionally would like to use for lan nights etc.

Just light gaming like LoL etc.

I understand the dock is for a business environment but was shocked at the performance lost, my old laptop with dell dock worked fine.

So I'm assuming there is a crap layer of software in the dock instead of just passing the video through?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Kill Confirmed

Rep: 74 (Unique: 62)
Outputting to a display over USB takes a large hit in performance no matter what dock is used. Other docks make use of higher bandwidth configurations which work much better for what you want to accomplish.

If you have a thunderbolt port (which you likely do) you could use a thunderbolt dock and could output to external monitors without a loss in performance. That would mean replacing your existing dock though.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Great lol only just got this new setup. Damn laptop doesn't even have Ethernet port so have to lan over WiFi.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So just checking, if I return the current dock and get a Dell WB19TB which is a thunderbolt 3 type c dock. Will this run the GPU through to its full potential?

Its a decent amount more so want to be sure.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in