Asus Strix OC Gaming GTX 1080 Ti FireStrike cancelled by user - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus Strix OC Gaming GTX 1080 Ti FireStrike cancelled by user

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sptz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Him
Sharing power on a 1080ti isn't a good idea
Run two vga cables to it from the psu.

Minimum recommended psu is 600w so you're just a little above should be okay make sure if it has a ECO switch it is not on.
I am running two cables as I've stated in a post after that. The ECO switch is just relevant for the PSU fan to kick in when the internals of the PSU reach 55C. Doesn't make any difference in power delivery.
Sptz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,999
Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
Okay you have it all figured out then good job

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:12 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
microchidism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 333
Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Okay you have it all figured out then good job
LoL

GPU History - 6 Nvidia, 3 AMD <--- need to get this number up
microchidism is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sptz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Okay you have it all figured out then good job
Ok. lol.
Sptz is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jonkrmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Rep: 0
[QUOTE=Zfast4y0u;28045848]his card dosent run at stock in the first place. it boosts way over its rated ''boost'' clock that is 1683mhz i believe. hes probably sitting at 1800-2000mhz range when benchmark crashes. the issue is, his auto overclock need more voltage seams.

Boost is automatic and controlled by the silicon itself based on power/temp/voltage parameters in its' BIOS. Yes, the card is factory overclocked but does not seem stable at that factory overclock hence, the card is not performing to rated specifications.
jonkrmr is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jonkrmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Rep: 0
Sptz, can you test the card in another system?

If your system was running fine and stable with your old 1070 in it so it is most likely your used 1080Ti at fault here.

My 1080Ti overclocks/boosts to 2050MHz all day long and 2025-2050 is the average the 1080Ti will clock/boost to with 2100 up being golden chips.

My advice would be to return the card. It is not performing to advertised specs.

If the seller on eBay resists, eBay has protections. Did the seller make any mention the card did not perform as advertised from the manufacture?

Last edited by jonkrmr; 07-16-2019 at 02:33 PM.
jonkrmr is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sptz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by jonkrmr View Post
Sptz, can you test the card in another system?

If your system was running fine and stable with your old 1070 in it so it is most likely your used 1080Ti at fault here.

My 1080Ti overclocks/boosts to 2050MHz all day long and 2025-2050 is the average the 1080Ti will clock/boost to with 2100 up being golden chips.

My advice would be to return the card. It is not performing to advertised specs.

If the seller on eBay resists, eBay has protections. Did the seller make any mention the card did not perform as advertised from the manufacture?
Unfortunately I can't. I did put my 1070 back in and bam, perfect. Absolutely perfect.

I also got in touch with a 3DMark developer and he confirmed it's most likely a faulty card judging by the crash dump files. I've also requested a return and the seller complied and that he was going to check it out.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
Sptz is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Zfast4y0u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 295
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
[quote=jonkrmr;28046302]
Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
his card dosent run at stock in the first place. it boosts way over its rated ''boost'' clock that is 1683mhz i believe. hes probably sitting at 1800-2000mhz range when benchmark crashes. the issue is, his auto overclock need more voltage seams.

Boost is automatic and controlled by the silicon itself based on power/temp/voltage parameters in its' BIOS. Yes, the card is factory overclocked but does not seem stable at that factory overclock hence, the card is not performing to rated specifications.
only base/boost clocks are guaranteed by manufacturer, not the auto overclock on top of them. but what ever. show me one card that market its auto overclock boost speeds as selling point. you would have ton of RMA's on anything that clocks under 2000mhz for example.

also boost curve that card has is quite a bit overvolted to meet those worse chip requirements and is not established by somehow knowing how good chip actually is in each card. thats why we have now feature overclock scanner, to match voltage/curve to silicon quality exactly, not overvolt each freq step in curve without need.


@Sptz

did u try to lock ur card to 1700-1800mhz @ 1.062mV/1.093mV in stress tests??? if it crashes with that voltage, there could be issue with card itself and not poor silicone quality.
Zfast4y0u is online now  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:07 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
jonkrmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
Rep: 0
[quote=Zfast4y0u;28046394]
Quote: Originally Posted by jonkrmr View Post

only base/boost clocks are guaranteed by manufacturer, not the auto overclock on top of them. but what ever. show me one card that market its auto overclock boost speeds as selling point. you would have ton of RMA's on anything that clocks under 2000mhz for example.

also boost curve that card has is quite a bit overvolted to meet those worse chip requirements and is not established by somehow knowing how good chip actually is in each card. thats why we have now feature overclock scanner, to match voltage/curve to silicon quality exactly, not overvolt each freq step in curve without need.


@Sptz

did u try to lock ur card to 1700-1800mhz @ 1.062mV/1.093mV in stress tests??? if it crashes with that voltage, there could be issue with card itself and not poor silicone quality.
You missed my point. Does not matter what Boost will go to his card was rated to be stable at a certain clock speed from ASUS not Nvidia and it is not stable at that advertised clock speed. Boost will automatically raise clock speed based on temp/power/voltage parameters and also adjust said voltage and clock speed to keep within those parameters keeping the card stable. Boost will not boost to an unstable clock speed for that perticulare silicon quality. You have absolutely no control over how boost works.

Each card will boost a little different based on silicon quality. Even two cards that are the same manufacture and model.

The fact his card is crashing at stock speed for that brand/model card indicates a failing/defective card. It will not maintain the rated clock speed advertised by the manufacture (ASUS).

He should not have to "lock" the card's voltage and clock to get a stable card at its stock clock speed. Period.

Last edited by jonkrmr; 07-16-2019 at 04:12 PM.
jonkrmr is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sptz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 159
Rep: 0
I do wonder though. If my EVGA G3 650W isn't enough and causing this? Even though the system never crashed, just those fire strike and superposition etc, which accurately reports a gpu/driver crash.

Guru3D stated this:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - On your average system the card requires you to have a 600~650 Watts power supply unit.
Sptz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off