Asus Strix OC Gaming GTX 1080 Ti FireStrike cancelled by user - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus Strix OC Gaming GTX 1080 Ti FireStrike cancelled by user

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Asus Strix OC Gaming GTX 1080 Ti FireStrike cancelled by user

Hi everyone,

So I had a GTX 1070 Strix OC and decided to buy a second hand exact same model but a GTX 1080 Ti. I did the whole classic procedure of uninstalling the drivers beforehand, DDU'ing, shut down then after installing the 1080 Ti, doing a fresh install.

My problem is, Fire Strike benchmark doesn't even finish, it's "cancelled by user" , I only ever seen this happen when my OC was too high on my 1070. In this case, I'm running fully stock. I've tried both 430.86 and 431.36 (latest) and no good, it just doesn't finish a run.

Does this mean it's a dud? Should I seek a refund in this case? I never had any such occurrence out of the box all stock...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Does it crash in any other benchmark/games?

Run the card in Debug mode and see if it still does it. If it does, you most likely have a failing/defective card and I would return it.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jonkrmr View Post
Does it crash in any other benchmark/games?

Run the card in Debug mode and see if it still does it. If it does, you most likely have a failing/defective card and I would return it.
I just ran in debug mode and it finished the benchmark. So, it seems it's not enjoying the stock boost clocks? Still, this isn't normal though which leaves me wondering. Temps aren't high at all also, hovering around 65-70C.

I forgot to say, the last fan (the one that connects to all of them) had 2 broken wings (why I got it cheaper) rest of the card looked immaculate, so I just replaced it with one from my 1070 and also disconnected the LED cable as I find it annoying and don't want to install AURA. (disconnecting that cable shouldn't pose any kind of issues right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Disconnecting the LED cable should have no effect other than turning off the LEDs on the card.

It seems the card is not able to run stable at advertised clock speed of the card and I would return it for refund.

The only other thing that might cause this would be an insufficient power supply. What power supply are you running and how old is it?
Are you using two seperete PCIe power connectors from the power supply to the GPU or just a single one split into two?

The 1080Ti draws quite a bit more power than the 1070.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Disconnecting the LED cable should have no effect other than turning off the LEDs on the card.

It seems the card is not able to run stable at advertised clock speed of the card and I would return it for refund.

The only other thing that might cause this would be an insufficient power supply. What power supply are you running and how old is it?
Are you using two seperete PCIe power connectors from the power supply to the GPU or just a single one split into two?

The 1080Ti draws quite a bit more power than the 1070.
I have an EVGA G3 650w. And am also running a single one split in two as I thought using the 2nd VGA connector would be mostly for SLI systems and one cable should be enough?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

I believe that PS is a single rail design but using two separate PCIe power cables is the preferred method to make sure power is evenly distributed across the cables especially with high end graphics cards that draw a lot of power. 650 watts should be enough but not knowing what your other components are and if you are overclocking the CPU and such.

My 1080Ti can draw 300 watts by itself under load in games and benchmarks. Add onto that an overclocked i7-8700K, lots of fans and LED stuff, water cooling pump, etc and it all adds up pushing my 750 watt PS close to its limits under heavy load.

All things given with a normal PC setup and not overclocking the CPU or just a mild overclock, your 650 PS should be enough for the graphics card to operate properly.

Try using two separate PCIe power cables from the PS and if your card still crashes in the benchmark at stock speed, return it, it is failing/defective.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)

his card dosent run at stock in the first place. it boosts way over its rated ''boost'' clock that is 1683mhz i believe. hes probably sitting at 1800-2000mhz range when benchmark crashes. the issue is, his auto overclock need more voltage seams.

maybe run overclock scanner first, for card to get proper voltage/freq curves for its own silicone quality. after that i would test benchmark again, on the other hand maybe u get way too big ripple from PSU and it causes instability with card, when ripple is too big, voltage that card runs on, isnt stable cause of it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I believe that PS is a single rail design but using two separate PCIe power cables is the preferred method to make sure power is evenly distributed across the cables especially with high end graphics cards that draw a lot of power. 650 watts should be enough but not knowing what your other components are and if you are overclocking the CPU and such.

My 1080Ti can draw 300 watts by itself under load in games and benchmarks. Add onto that an overclocked i7-8700K, lots of fans and LED stuff, water cooling pump, etc and it all adds up pushing my 750 watt PS close to its limits under heavy load.

All things given with a normal PC setup and not overclocking the CPU or just a mild overclock, your 650 PS should be enough for the graphics card to operate properly.

Try using two separate PCIe power cables from the PS and if your card still crashes in the benchmark at stock speed, return it, it is failing/defective.
My rig is:

AMD 2600x
16GB @ 3600mhz fast timing (dram calculator values)
Asus B450i

Have PE Lvl2 and that's about it. My system was 100% stable with the GTX 1070.

I decided to try connecting with two cables instead and it's the same thing. Sometimes, very very rarely it finishes the benchmark but then the next run it fails. I even tried undervolting and same thing.

Also, just ran an OC scan with everything at default and when performing the scan sometimes the screen sort of flashes for half a second with weird artifacts, never seen this before... And it always shows confidence level of 83%, even by just doing a Test without Scanning, so at 0mhz overclock.

I bought this on eBay, I wonder how I can get a case happening regarding this. If the seller doesn't comply...

Last edited by Sptz; 07-16-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
his card dosent run at stock in the first place. it boosts way over its rated ''boost'' clock that is 1683mhz i believe. hes probably sitting at 1800-2000mhz range when benchmark crashes. the issue is, his auto overclock need more voltage seams.

maybe run overclock scanner first, for card to get proper voltage/freq curves for its own silicone quality. after that i would test benchmark again, on the other hand maybe u get way too big ripple from PSU and it causes instability with card, when ripple is too big, voltage that card runs on, isnt stable cause of it.
I find it odd that the PSU would be at fault here as it never let me down with my GTX 1070. I ran OC scanner as stated above. Running just a Test without scanning first yields 85% confidence. Not good at all...

Is there anything else I can do / test before I request a return?

EDIT: Just ran Superposition. Crashed after about 1 minute. Temp never surpassed 67C. Core Clock was hovering around 1964 then down to 1924.

Last edited by Sptz; 07-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Him
Sharing power on a 1080ti isn't a good idea
Run two vga cables to it from the psu.

Minimum recommended psu is 600w so you're just a little above should be okay make sure if it has a ECO switch it is not on.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in