1080 Ti vs. 2070 Super - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1080 Ti vs. 2070 Super

post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 280 (Unique: 201)
Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Sell both, waste it all on a 2080Ti.
If I could justify the $1200 asking price, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
good point, sell both, get used 2080ti.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Old dog, likes new tricks

Rep: 77 (Unique: 64)
I'd sell the 2070 and avoid the entire 20xx line forever, and keep the 1080TI. RTX is a total bust, since ray tracing is utterly useless at *this* point, and the prices are mental. The guy who mentioned stagnation earlier was bang on. GPU development has slowed, and as this generation proved, they pretty much peaked at the 1080TI. Sure the 2080TI is faster, but you'd have to go full retard to buy one of those things (because price), and you never go full retard. I'd bet the 1080TI will be good for another 2 years, and I've read nothing that indicates anything super exciting is coming performance-wise in the near future. Keep the 1080TI, and maybe put it under water if you haven't already and crank that sucker UP if you want a performance boost that will make you smile.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I'd sell the 2070 and avoid the entire 20xx line forever, and keep the 1080TI. RTX is a total bust, since ray tracing is utterly useless at *this* point, and the prices are mental. The guy who mentioned stagnation earlier was bang on. GPU development has slowed, and as this generation proved, they pretty much peaked at the 1080TI. Sure the 2080TI is faster, but you'd have to go full retard to buy one of those things (because price), and you never go full retard. I'd bet the 1080TI will be good for another 2 years, and I've read nothing that indicates anything super exciting is coming performance-wise in the near future. Keep the 1080TI, and maybe put it under water if you haven't already and crank that sucker UP if you want a performance boost that will make you smile.
nothing exciting until after new consoles release, so over a year till those drop, and the GPU response would likely come by the following spring/summer. I agree about the stagnation, you can barely even trust the 480>570>660>750 steps anymore. However, I do believe NV will release an actual behemoth (not at a good price either) once PS5/XBs are out.

post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
nothing exciting until after new consoles release, so over a year till those drop, and the GPU response would likely come by the following spring/summer. I agree about the stagnation, you can barely even trust the 480>570>660>750 steps anymore. However, I do believe NV will release an actual behemoth (not at a good price either) once PS5/XBs are out.
Considering the heavy flak they've been receiving over the price versus performance jump with the 2080TI over the 1080TI, I would hope so. But it's Nvidia and they're known for leaking stuff out slowly, releasing crippled versions, then releasing TI's and Titans later on so god knows what they'll do, especially if they have no real competition at the top end. RTX is bust as far as I can see, and DLSS is already a running joke in the tech press. There are rumbles (probably AMD marketing B.S.) about 'big Navi', but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm content to stick with my 1080TIs for I'm guessing 2 years, but we'll see what happens.

post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

big navi will come, but it'll come with all the shortcomings of a new AMD product, then quickly trumped by NV.

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bart View Post
If nVidia would have just slapped DP 2.0/HDMI 2.1 on the RTX series (granted DP 2.0 was just finalized recently [IIRC]), I'd be able to justify the cost by being able to get 4K+120hz+HDR from an OLED (or LGs SM9000/SM9500), but I agree that upgrading from a 1080ti isn't worth it no matter what card you go for (100% more for a 35% increase in perf seems crazy to me). Did not realize OP had one when they were asking; though I would probably still buy a 2070S if I was coming from nothing, just for the warranty alone.

I do like that Navi seems to be more than a step in the right direction from AMD. Hopefully, like Skupples said, the next console release leads to some more promising cards.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

no HDMI2.1 until consoles force their hand.

post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 AM

I have hope for AMD. If you look at the recently discontinued Radeon VII, once you solve the usual AMD cooling problem and put it under water, it's a beast. I mean a GAMING beast. Everyone knocks it, since it benches pretty low in stock form. But put proper cooling in place and it will smoke my 1080TI. With both cards water cooled and running at 2100 core, the VII is the faster card, better image quality too (nicer colors, etc). So much potential, sabotaged out of the box by a garbage blower cooler. It's like AMD just never learns.

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

gotta keep the costs down some how. Those over engineered NV coolers can't be cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in