I tried to "fix" the MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

I tried to "fix" the MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 31)
I tried to "fix" the MSI RTX 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X

First post in about 6 years I think!

Still to business, I recently built my first proper desktop in quite some years. Wanted to try a micro ATX build so ended up with the Fractal design meshify mini which gave some interesting issues when it came to GPU length. Basically any decent 2080Ti was just too long or way too long to fit. Long story short I ended up with the Sea Hawk X simply due to the size and the price was cut massively so it cost less than most FE PCB based aircooled cards.

Bad points of this card
- Build quality feels worse than my old GTX 480, plastic fantastic and really feels cheap
- No RGB other than the pump, which is on the underside of the card. I'm not the biggest fan of RGB but still feels quite cheap on a 1250 euro card... (some EU retailers have it up for 1500!!!)
- The fan setup... where do I even start? The stock blower fan is fine ramps up to like 70% in games and is reasonable. The stock 120mm fan setup is so dumb. It's powered by the GPU but the wire is cable tied along the water cooling hose (see images). It looks getto af. But that's not the dumb part. It sits at 50% and never ever moves no matter what the GPU temp hits.

Stock fan results:

OC applied
+100 core + 900 memory all sliders maxed

1X run of Superposition Benchmark card hits around 68c
GTA V 1 hour run 65-68c but as the heat soaks in the card keeps ticking up a few C
Rising storm 2 vietnam 1 hour run 63-67c same issue as above

Now I hear you say, why not just ramp the stock fan up? Well good idea but it's not even a PWM fan and the fan controller on the GPU is really odd. It just blips the fans up to max and then back down again, you can't really get a consistent fan speed over that base 50% making for a really annoying noise.

What I did to fix the above issue:
- Got 2x Noctua nf-f12 chromax in push pull and plugged them into the motherboard. Granted I could have used a cheaper fan but I thought why not see how good I can get these temps
- Got the Cablemod AIO Sleeving Kit Series 1 for Corsair Hydro Gen 2. Now these are not the correct length and need to be trimmed down a little but but nothing too drastic. They are also not the best fit so I needed to cable tie the ends and then used the included clamp bracket to cover this up. The fit is still quite loose, but once it places it's stable. If you wanted to keep the stock fan setup this would also just slide over the awful cable and hide the sins!!

Results

How the system looks

I used Argus Monitor to run the fans on the radiator with a custom fan curve (see image) this still needs tweaking and is just a rough and ready start. Granted this means you need another program to launch on startup, but it seems quite light on performance.

1X run of Superposition Benchmark card hits around 58c
GTA V 1 hour run 56c and stable
Rising storm 2 vietnam 1 hour run 54c

Even with the above fan curve set for performance rather than noise it's waaay quieter, and a more stable fan noise. I'm playing with the idea of having the intake fan turn off at idle, but for now both have the same curve.

I have to say with this "mod" the card is performing great. It boosts to 2100mhz most of the time and never dips before 2070mhz even in heavy benchmarks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 695 (Unique: 426)
Looks good. Getting rid of the "stock" radiator fan and using anything with PWM attached to your motherboard was a must. If you had more room in the front or switching the fans to intake would help with temps even more.

Anyway, very nice.

I have a big bang house. I had all the materials for my new house brought in and dumped on a vacant lot. I took a stick of dynamite, lit the fuse on fire and tossed it into the pile of materials. BOOM went the explosion and when the dust settled I had a new house! Amazing isn't it?
Super P's Rig
(21 items)
Noahman
(9 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON
GPU
Gigabyte RTX 2070S
RAM
XPG Spectrix D41 3600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
MyDigitalSSD SBX
Hard Drive
WD Black 500GB NVMe
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2
Cooling
Bykski CPU-XPR-AM
Cooling
Phobya Balancer 150 Reservoir
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Radiator
Cooling
TC-A - CPU Liquid Cooling Pump
Cooling
XSPC EX360 Radiator
Case
Phanteks Pro M TG
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
MSI Optix AG32CQ
Keyboard
G710+
Mouse
G305
Mousepad
Vipamz Extended XXXL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 439
Audio
Asus U7
CPU
5960X
Motherboard
Asus X99
GPU
MSI R9 380 Gaming
RAM
V-Color Skywalker 16GB 2666MHz
Hard Drive
Kingston SSDNOW V300
Power Supply
EVGA 500 W1
Cooling
CoolerMaster 120MM AIO
Case
Fractal Design Define S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by criminal View Post
Looks good. Getting rid of the "stock" radiator fan and using anything with PWM attached to your motherboard was a must. If you had more room in the front or switching the fans to intake would help with temps even more.

Anyway, very nice.
Thanks, I am happy with the results and good point. I'm thinking of taking the stock NZXT fans out of the front and sticking 2 more NF12s in, as I'm quite pleased with the noise and airflow they give. Still time will tell. I am still quite shocked how some retailers want 1500 euros for this card. MSI really should have put a bit more money into this product as the older Sea Hawk card had braided cables when they co branded with Corsair. Still it's a good card now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Argus monitor sounds pretty good, haven't heard of it.
The Chromax fans were a good purchase, they fit your build and have great performance. I have a X41 with G12 bracket on my 1080ti and I went for the Chromax NF-A14 and I'm happy about them. If you really want to test the thermal capabilities of this setup, I suggest FireStrike Ultra stress test.
Just a word about your curve, In my opinion it's pretty aggressive, those type of GPUs tend to idle at around 30c, and every occasional spike will cause your fans to ramp up and down. Your 100% temperature also seems to be on the edge of average temps, so there's a lot of ramping up and down there too. I suggest you don't make your curves so steep, but it's up to you.
If you want an extra 2-4c, consider changing the thermal paste of your card.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
Argus monitor sounds pretty good, haven't heard of it.
The Chromax fans were a good purchase, they fit your build and have great performance. I have a X41 with G12 bracket on my 1080ti and I went for the Chromax NF-A14 and I'm happy about them. If you really want to test the thermal capabilities of this setup, I suggest FireStrike Ultra stress test.
Just a word about your curve, In my opinion it's pretty aggressive, those type of GPUs tend to idle at around 30c, and every occasional spike will cause your fans to ramp up and down. Your 100% temperature also seems to be on the edge of average temps, so there's a lot of ramping up and down there too. I suggest you don't make your curves so steep, but it's up to you.
If you want an extra 2-4c, consider changing the thermal paste of your card.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the curve is just a first draft as such. The card is still quite a bit quieter than it used to be underload with better temps, but I will play around with it using your suggestions.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 16)
Isn't it best to have the radiator oriented so that the hoses are on the bottom rather than the top?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in