Duel of the CLC 2080 Tis: Aorus Xtreme Waterforce vs. EVGA FTW3 Ultra Hybrid - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Duel of the CLC 2080 Tis: Aorus Xtreme Waterforce vs. EVGA FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Duel of the CLC 2080 Tis: Aorus Xtreme Waterforce vs. EVGA FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

I'm considering upgrading from my EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid, which has served me well for almost two years. It runs cool and quiet, and, for those reasons, I'm only interested in GPUs with a Closed Loop Cooler (CLC).

I have no interest in building a full custom loop, and have already discarded the options from MSI (Sea Hawk X - too ugly), Asus (ROG Matrix - not sold on their integrated solution) and the other EVGA alternatives (Kingpin - too expensive - and XC Hybrid - not worth it compared to the FTW3 Ultra and also not available where I live).

That leaves us with the aforementioned Aorus Xtreme Waterforce and EVGA FTW3 Ultra Hybrid. Here's my list of pros and cons between the two:

Aorus Xtreme Waterforce

Pros:

+ Slightly higher boost clock - 1770Mhz (same as the EVGA Kingpin), versus 1755Mhz on the FTW3 Ultra. Allegedly, both have binned chips, but a higher boost clock is usually indicative of better overclocking performance;
+ Bigger radiator - 240mm (with two 120mm RGB fans), versus 120mm (with one regular fan) on the FTW3 Ultra;
+ More HDMI outputs - 3 in total, versus 1 on the FTW3 Ultra. Useful to me, since my PC is connected to a TV through an AVR, and running a single HDMI cable through the AVR can cause issues with some non-standard resolutions and refresh rates not being supported by that device. That could potentially be solved by connecting one HDMI directly to the TV, and another to the AVR, for multi-channel audio;
+ Slightly cheaper than the FTW3 Ultra.

Cons:

- A bigger radiator means that I'd need a new case. My NZXT S340 Elite only has room for one 280mm rad, and that space is taken by a Corsair H110i. I was planning on purchasing a new case along with a new processor and a new 360mm cooler - but only next year, when Intel's upcoming line of CPUs is likely going to be released;
- Can take up to 30 business days to be delivered.

Unsure:

The Waterforce has an all-around cooling solution that cools not only the GPU, but also the VRAM and MOSFET. The FTW3 Ultra, on the other hand, offers a hybrid solution, with liquid only cooling the GPU itself, and a fan for the other components. I'm not sure which one is better. An all-around solution sounds good in paper, but can cause the GPU to become warmer due to the shared cooling. EVGA's blower fan is barely used on my 1080 Ti, in comparison, as VRAM and MOSFET can handle more heat than the GPU.

EVGA FTW3 Ultra

Pros:

+ Already familiar with the brand, know what to expect from the product (never owned anything from Gigabyte before);
+ Replacing my current GPU is a matter of unplugging the old card and plugging in the new one, no other changes required;
+ Readily available.

Cons:

- The opposite of the Waterforce's pros.

Unsure:

May be able to use an "unofficial" BIOS with it? The FTW3 Ultra allows for switching between two BIOS. Not sure if that means being able to use [the BIOS designed to increase the power limit in Turing GPUs](https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/), or if that's limited to the Kingpin variant;

Again, not sure which card would end up running cooler: the Waterforce, with its bigger rad, but all-in-one cooling system; or the FTW3 Ultra, with its smaller rad, but hybrid solution of CLC plus blower fan.

What do you guys think? I'm all ears (or, in this case, eyes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 28)
EVGA RTX2080Ti K|NGP|N is best GPU on market at the moment.
And best K|NGP|N model ever. It's silent and cool difference compare to custom loop is very cmall.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:29 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 108)
I got this, the price doesnt include taxes, but you may like it anyway. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-AO...53.m2749.l2649

~FOUNDER~
Best RPG Towny Minecraft Server projectmango.net
STRYKER-[ ]
(14 items)
CPU
4790k -4.8 ghz 1.3v
Motherboard
ASUS Z97 Mark S #1175
GPU
AORUS RTX 2080ti Waterforce Extreme
RAM
16G G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400 cas10
Hard Drive
intel 750 PCIe
Optical Drive
Samsung BluRay Drive
Power Supply
PC P&C Silencer MkIII 850
Cooling
tygon silver tubing + Koolance CPU-370 + xspc rx360
Case
Pinnacle18+Pedestal aluminum
Operating System
x64 Windows 8.1 Pro
Monitor
Monoprice 27" 1440p
Monitor
Monoprice 27" 1440p
Keyboard
WASD Keyboard
Mouse
elecom m-xt3drbk
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
EVGA RTX2080Ti K|NGP|N is best GPU on market at the moment.
And best K|NGP|N model ever. It's silent and cool difference compare to custom loop is very cmall.
Can vouch for my 2080Ti Kingpin, running 40-45*C in games with 4x Noctua NF-A12x25. 2100MHz core all day.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || EVGA Z390 DARK || 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4600 C18 @ 4266 C17 || GPU: EVGA Kingpin RTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Lian Li O11 Dynamic White || Corsair AX1600i || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F
Corsair H150i PRO + Noctua NF-A12x25
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

120mm will not unlock the full overclock potential of the card. It will hit 50-60c under sustained extreme load (No, not Overwatch on 1080p with G-Sync, more like Plague Tale on 4k ultra), which means you lose at least 12MHz from direct thermal throttle and some clock stability because power limit hits more on higher temps.

Regardless, this difference alone is negligible, for sure not observable in gaming conditions. I suggest you get the card that has the better/longer warranty. 2080ti's are susceptible to early failure, some talk about bad batches but at this point we're way beyond that.

If both cards have the same warranty terms, then go with the one that better suits your needs. The main dilemma for you would be swapping cases vs using adapters. In my opinion keep your case. Some say it's worth it to invest in a good case, and if all you do is swap hardware every other day, then you need a case that is easy to work with. But even PC enthusiasts will have a hard time justifying a 200$ investment for a CASE UPGRADE. Getting a fancy case when ordering a new PC is one thing. But paying 200$ + a few hours of work for marginal difference in airflow, some RGB, and potentially using a 240mm radiator instead of 120mm... In my opinion it's silly, and I say this as someone who has done those things in the past.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
120mm aio is pointless on a card that is drawing 300W+ only 240mm and up.

Core i9 9900K @ 5.2 || EVGA Z390 DARK || 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 4600 C18 @ 4266 C17 || GPU: EVGA Kingpin RTX2080Ti @ 2130MHz || Samsung 970PRO 1TB + 860EVO 2TB || Lian Li O11 Dynamic White || Corsair AX1600i || Screen: LG B8 OLED 55 and LG 34GK950F
Corsair H150i PRO + Noctua NF-A12x25
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Martin778 View Post
120mm aio is pointless on a card that is drawing 300W+ only 240mm and up.
All depends on ambient and case air flow. I am running my 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid with Push/Pull Noctua super silent fans at over 2100Mhz with +1000mem under sustained load in BFV at just 1.018v. I can peak the card at 2205Mhz. My memory tops around 1400Mhz, and my GPU around 2205Mhz with just the 120mm AIO. You certainly aren't getting much more than that even with KingPin. I also don't have a power limit which keeps it from power limit throttling even under heavy load in TimeSpy Extreme.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:59 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 27 (Unique: 13)
...to OP...my

I am running two of the sister models (Aorus 2080 Ti XTR WB but with the full factory water block rather than AIO). I believe the PCBs are the same, and each will pull just about 380w on full tilt (stock Bios) per GPUz. I should add that, per spoiler, there is extensive cooling (total of 1080x60 rad space just for the GPUs) but the more cooling rad area you can get, the better...and that holds for any 2080 Ti, from FE to exotic PCB; it's just the way NVBoost works. I have had these two cards for just under a year and no problems so far.

All that said, either card you mentioned is nice, so may be price / availability becomes the deciding factor ?

Spoiler!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

I have the waterforce card (Gigabyte 2080 Ti). I've not done a ton of tweaking yet, but it holds ~2100MHz in furmark, usually high 50s, low 60s. Seems to be power limited even at 110% (MSI afterburner), would like to see if it can go further but haven't spent much time on it.

The fans are loud though, and there is some kind of resonance around 1300 RPM (not sure if this is pump or fans). I ordered two Noctua A12x25 PWM to replace them, should be here this week.

It was a higher guaranteed clock with a bigger cooler at a lower price than comparable cards. Gigabyte's software leaves some stuff to be desired though (slow, buggy, etc.).

I have it set up as a top exhaust on my case (Fractal R6), using a 360mm AIO for the CPU as main case intake on the front along with a bottom of case 140mm.

Also, be aware that not all the outputs can be active at the same time, there is a limitation. You get 3 HDMI and 1 DP, or 3 DP and 1 HDMI. There is a pdf diagram on the Aorus site that shows this.

Edit: I replaced the fans with the A12x25x PWM fans and it's a LOT quieter. In a 25C room, with the rad set as an exhaust it'll hold ~62C in heaven/superposition without the fans going much beyond the min speed (~45-50%). Peak clocks in heaven (per benchmark readout) are staying at ~2300MHz (not sure I believe this, didn't have a ton of time to check out).

The resonance also seems to be gone, but I need to double check this again (I can't be sure it wasn't pump related vs fan related without some more checks across the fan range).

The lowest the fans will go is 1000 RPM (38% PWM signal). Seems to be locked in, would like to try to lower this but haven't looked into it.

Last edited by Chito; 09-25-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Tags
2080 ti , aio , clc , Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in