HELP! I put liquid metal to my 1080 and changed the thermal pads, and now I do not know what happens - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

HELP! I put liquid metal to my 1080 and changed the thermal pads, and now I do not know what happens

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
HELP! I put liquid metal to my 1080 and changed the thermal pads, and now I do not know what happens

I put liquid metal to my 1080, I changed the thermal pads, I reinstalled it and in all the games it makes a strange electrical noise, some camera flash appears on the screen, the game is stuck and closes. The higher the load the graph is subjected, the more electrical noise it makes. It is true that before doing all this my 1080 did an electrical noise but much lower, almost imperceptible, but now it is much stronger and no game works.

Here is a video of what happens when opening SWBF2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3kto6uzz1...12716.mp4?dl=0

This happened 45 minutes ago, I just recorded it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykdmy6byvz...04152.mp4?dl=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:44 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 676 (Unique: 359)
sounds like you may have used too much LM/spilled some LM. was this your first time using LM? you know a minuscule amount goes a long way, right?

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I had used LM before, I made delid and relid my cpu and I know that a tiny drop goes a long way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 06:52 PM

either way, sounds like you need to start over.

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

What do you mean?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Quote: Originally Posted by FoxerTyle View Post
What do you mean?
Good news is card isn't super dead. How are temps? I had a similar issue when I screwed up my WB install didn't tighten it all the way. As soon as a load hit, artifacting and what not occurred. Repasted and tightened everything and card seemed fine.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
Good news is card isn't super dead. How are temps? I had a similar issue when I screwed up my WB install didn't tighten it all the way. As soon as a load hit, artifacting and what not occurred. Repasted and tightened everything and card seemed fine.
Temperatures are fine, in FurMark at 1440p it does not exceed 66-67 degrees until the benchmark freezes and closes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:02 PM

i think you got lm on the board/board component. or possibly on one of your thermal pads.

so what I mean is, you can't do much by running tests.

the only option is to take the cooler off, clean it up, & start over. double check that no thermal pads overlapped causing the board to feel tight, but not actually be flush. Or maybe the cooler is just loose.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 91 (Unique: 72)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i think you got lm on the board/board component. or possibly on one of your thermal pads.

the only option is to take the cooler off, clean it up, & start over. double check that no thermal pads overlapped causing the board to feel tight, but not actually be flush. Or maybe the cooler is just loose.
This x1000
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post

Well, first I don't know if the pads I used were the same thickness as the factory ones. If in case there is liquid metal in the pcb, can it be cleaned? I remember that when handling the syringe with the LM, when I pressed to see a drop jumped to the table very close to the pcb, maybe not only did that drop jump there, if I had to clean how do I do it? Is there any way to clean the entire pcb? If there is any way, I will do it and very carefully, I don't want to throw my gpu in the trash.

Tags
help me , Troubleshooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in