Family PC having issues. Troubleshoot help please? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Family PC having issues. Troubleshoot help please?

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 28)
Family PC having issues. Troubleshoot help please?

This is whats going on with the PC atm.

https://imgur.com/a/w2Hoy2I

And I am not sure where to start on troubleshooting. To try to keep timeline/events concise, ill keep it in steps

Original parts are (i forget exactly which one)

Haswell pentium (not the G3258)
H81m P33
4gb ram (forget exactly which one)
a used HD 5570 1GB that i picked up for like $5

1. Built in around 2014ish. had no problems until it first starting doing that (is that artifacting? never experienced it so IDK how it looks like. but ill call it that for simplicity sakes) artifacting in 2016/2017
2. it did it once in a while. and would stop eventually. so i ignored it. no problems at all
3. 2019 about 2 months ago it did it again, and this time showed no signs of going away.
4. I instantly assumed it was GPU (which is why i am still posting here) so i bought a used gtx 270 3 weeks ago. (EDIT: NOT GTX 270. it was a r7 240A. i remember now that it was listed as a 270. but looking at pic/gpuz it was an r7) Should have posted this on AMD GPU looks like now. sorry, initially thought it was the 270 again when looking back at purchase history
5. it worked just find until again, just today.... when its having the same issue.

Where do i being to start figuring out whats going on here?

I dont believe its the TV, as switching to a cable box, works fine.

but i dont know where to go from here

Last edited by IMKR; 12-05-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Have you unplugged the cable from the GPU and monitor and reinserted it? Have you tried switching to a different cable completely?
I'd start with that first, because cables can go bad or come loose over time and cause similar symptoms. Plus, that's the cheapest and easiest place to start.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 630 (Unique: 342)
cable >> monitor >> GPU.

somewhere in that pipe.

have you checked event viewer?

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skeksys View Post
Have you unplugged the cable from the GPU and monitor and reinserted it? Have you tried switching to a different cable completely?
I'd start with that first, because cables can go bad or come loose over time and cause similar symptoms. Plus, that's the cheapest and easiest place to start.
no dice =/

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
cable >> monitor >> GPU.

somewhere in that pipe.

have you checked event viewer?
what is event viewer? also the display is so bad i can barely see =/

also, idk if this will be relevant. but it has been a VERY long time since ive done a windows update on that PC. i believe 1 year (LOL. i know. not good) but its been going fine. on/off so i doubt thats the issue.
but the reason why i put it off so long is because 3 months ago, i tried to do my usual 3-6 month family PC windows update. only to be keep given the "windows had a failure updating some updates" message.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 808 (Unique: 457)
Quote: Originally Posted by IMKR View Post
what is event viewer?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	4
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	310368

btw, i don't understand this:
Quote:
I instantly assumed it was GPU (which is why i am still posting here) so i bought a used gtx 270 3 weeks ago. (EDIT: NOT GTX 270. it was a r7 240A. i remember now that it was listed as a 270. but looking at pic/gpuz it was an r7) Should have posted this on AMD GPU looks like now. sorry, initially thought it was the 270 again when looking back at purchase history
5. it worked just find until again, just today.... when its having the same issue.
i can't tell what happened . . you (over)explained what gpu it was you bought - that doesn't matter. what matters is does #5 mean that it did work until today?

EDIT! nvermind, you are fine. its my reading skills that are the problem -sorry.

you sorta didn't need to do that. that pentuim has a little gpu itself aand motherboard has video outs:
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l640.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	310370

now if you hook it up to that and it still happens after 2 gpus and 1 igpu - i would suggest to look at the cable/monitor. if it doesn't happen then the slot on the motherboard maybe suspect or you got unlucky with 2 gpus . . .

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 12-05-2019 at 07:26 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 630 (Unique: 342)
i'm exhausted, so this might be more scattered than usual -

event viewer (system software, search for it), critical tab, may provide info on where its coming from. Plausible still that its just the cable, do you have somewhere else you could slot the card? second PCIE slot, or second computer?

as to updates, side thought - windows doesn't like to update into build 1903 and beyond with a normal user account, make sure your user account control is set low enough to not require password, just yes/no.

also, if you CAN get into windows normally for a moment, you could always try to re-install the GPU drivers

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
Attachment 310368

btw, i don't understand this:

i can't tell what happened . . you (over)explained what gpu it was you bought - that doesn't matter. what matters is does #5 mean that it did work until today?

EDIT! nvermind, you are fine. its my reading skills that are the problem -sorry.

you sorta didn't need to do that. that pentuim has a little gpu itself aand motherboard has video outs:
Attachment 310370

now if you hook it up to that and it still happens after 2 gpus and 1 igpu - i would suggest to look at the cable/monitor. if it doesn't happen then the slot on the motherboard maybe suspect or you got unlucky with 2 gpus . . .
thats my bad lol. i got confused after i looked at purchase history to remind myself what GPU i replaced it with. but it is still AMD. (basically just wanted to point out taht i went from AMD to AMD again. NOT to nvidia)

but yeah it worked after i changed GPU. until today. (which is resulting in the EXACT same issue/pattern/look on the TV monitor.)

I cant use the igpu. TV monitor only has HDMI connection

I dont believe its the cabling issue or the TV monitor. using another HDMI showed same issue. and switching my TV monitor from HDMI input to the cable box, display has no issue.

I will check out event viewer. I am not quite sure what it is though/used for (other than the obvious name lol)

Last edited by IMKR; 12-05-2019 at 08:18 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i'm exhausted, so this might be more scattered than usual -

event viewer (system software, search for it), critical tab, may provide info on where its coming from. Plausible still that its just the cable, do you have somewhere else you could slot the card? second PCIE slot, or second computer?

as to updates, side thought - windows doesn't like to update into build 1903 and beyond with a normal user account, make sure your user account control is set low enough to not require password, just yes/no.

also, if you CAN get into windows normally for a moment, you could always try to re-install the GPU drivers
ty ill take a look at event viewer later.

I do have a second PC, but its my main PC. and I dont really want to do the whole change for it. especially since my main pc is using nvidia gpu.

the family pc is still w7. (googling what "build 1903" is, looks like thats w10 specific). but anyhow, theres no psw/acc settings set up on the family pc.

i will also try reinstall GPUs drivers ty

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 43 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by IMKR View Post
ty ill take a look at event viewer later.

I do have a second PC, but its my main PC. and I dont really want to do the whole change for it. especially since my main pc is using nvidia gpu.

the family pc is still w7. (googling what "build 1903" is, looks like thats w10 specific). but anyhow, theres no psw/acc settings set up on the family pc.

i will also try reinstall GPUs drivers ty

...might sound silly, but have you tried a different (ie 10 MHz lower or higher than stock) refresh rate via right click on desktop / screen resolution / advanced setting ? Same visual artifacts result ?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 808 (Unique: 457)
its a shame the tv is hdmi it would help if you could use the igpu. the more things you can easily swap out the better.

i see you have another rig. you don't need to tear it apart - test with just that monitor and cable.

if that works when the other is flaky at the same time, than it isn't anything on the mother board. i'm already of the mind that it isn't; the chances of 2 cards going bad the exact same way is pretty large. but a third test would be moving from suspect to confirmation.

your saying the tv is fine because of the cable box but isn't that a separate input? if so, then its not out of the woods yet. to be clear, once is a maybe, twice is suspect and a third time is confirmation.

and don't get weird about switching amd/nvidia/igpu because of drivers. microsoft's generic driver that comes w/windows will work fine just as in safe mode. maybe use DDU (while you have the second monitor plugged in so you're not blind!) and just get rid of the amd drivers anyhow.

finally re-seat the card in the pci slot again not just the power cables. though usually from what i've seen posted in past help threads - if the pci slot is going/gone bad than you wouldn't get a display at all. but if it starts "working" again, it would be time to give that a good visual inspection.

look, really, swap out the tv/monitor. i know you believe the tv is fine and i'm sure it probably is fine but just take 5-10 minutes and confirm it.

sorry if i sound harsh.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in