New to overclocking GPUs and need some guidance - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New to overclocking GPUs and need some guidance

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
New to overclocking GPUs and need some guidance

I recently built a new computer and, more specifically, an EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra. I am trying to find the limit for overclocking it. I am able to overclock the Memory +1600 stable, but the GPU I can only overclock to +100 max otherwise it artefacts badly. Regardless of artefacting or crashing, the temps never get past 65ºC. I've been using Superposition benchmark as the testbench and I've ran it about 5 times at +1600mem/+100gpu. Do y'all think my PSU is the bottleneck? Maybe I'm just drawing too much power for the PSU to handle?

Computer Specs:
  • Intel i7 9700KF Stock speed, no overclock
  • Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
  • Noctua D-15 Cooler (w/ both fans installed)
  • EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra
  • Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3200MHz (w/RGB puke)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W PSU
  • 3x Corsair ML120 PRO 120mm case fans.

I have no idea how much power is being consumed as I am not sure how to check that. According to pcpartpicker the estimated wattage, for everything in my system, is 479W so I'm assuming 750W is enough for overclocking? I've included my benchmark score, if y'all wanna take a look at it. I'm not too sure how to convert it to text readable, sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_7834_1576203916957.zip (6.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 629 (Unique: 342)
kinda seems business as usual. You might get a higher core clock if you dial that in first. I run my air cooled 2080ti @ +250/+500 (core/mem) in games (core can go up quite a bit, just depends on the title, and there's little benefit), but haven't spent any time in 3dmark with it yet.

what do your clocks actually end up running @ after that's dialed in? NV Boost = its kinda different for everyone. Also seems like 65c is their target temp.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
kinda seems business as usual. You might get a higher core clock if you dial that in first. I run my air cooled 2080ti @ +250/+500 (core/mem) in games (core can go up quite a bit, just depends on the title, and there's little benefit), but haven't spent any time in 3dmark with it yet.

what do your clocks actually end up running @ after that's dialed in? NV Boost = its kinda different for everyone. Also seems like 65c is their target temp.
Clocks are: 2100 core/9351 mem. Yeah, the temp isn't the issue for me, it's the crashing/artefacting. But I'll try to get core first before mem and see what I can get stable. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

sounds right. 21-22 seems pretty common

boost is based on temp, and turing starts throttling @ really low temps. some claim 25c, some claim 40c. so yes, temp is always a problem.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright, I'm using Unigen Heaven 4.0 this time. Unfortunately it seems that +100 (+0 mem) core is still not good, it's artefacting bad. I lowered the core to +75 and been running heaven for a good 10 minutes and the temp is at exactly 60c and it's still artefacting, but barely at all. I lowered the core to +50 and I'm still seeing artefacts. Less than at +75, but they are there, pretty infrequent, though.

Edit: Reason I changed benchmarks is to get a different perspective. I don't see artefacts in Dragon Age or Superposition, but in Heaven it's pretty obvious.

Last edited by kiasta; 12-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

sounds right. 21-22 seems pretty common

boost is based on temp, and turing starts throttling @ really low temps. some claim 25c, some claim 40c. so yes, temp is always a problem.
Oh, I didn't know that about the throttling, interesting.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

the artifacts persist when you drop memory OC as well?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
I have the same EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra. Using OC bios and additional fan attached to the card may help a lot together with good PSU. I am using 1250W. 2100/1600 no artifacts.

Last edited by Grin; 12-13-2019 at 10:44 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:03 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 808 (Unique: 457)
just to make sure there are no misconceptions; a PSU will either run fine or shut down due to OCP. there's really no middle ground.

but of course there are outliers; using one cable for both pci-e power connections can cause ripple that is relieved by using a separate cable for each connector. other stuff won't come into play unless sub ambient cooling and pushing stuff very far.

and also:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...-8192-190628-1
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 37
Size:  14.8 KB
that 351 power limit is strictly adhered to in the bios unless you cross flash or shunt mod the card. though a point to consider, mostly from m/o experience; i have had extremely bad luck OCing the vram on any evga card that didn't have the sammy vram. what does gpu-z say for vram?

though getting back to the psu, those evga G3 PSUs have a few niggling things but mostly to do with the fan noise. but far as getting the rated wattage or getting flaky when close, is not one of them.

yeah, there's always getting a bad unit but i'd suggest just keeping it simple and assume it's ok until there is something more of a correlation; like swapping the psu relieves the problem or there's nothing left to trouble shoot.

you might end up keeping more of your hair.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

the artifacts persist when you drop memory OC as well?
Yep, even with the memory overclock to 0 there are artefacts. It made no difference when I changed the mem overclock back to 0, still crashes and artefacting even when setting the overclock even to just 25. The artefacting is less often but I can see it in Heaven.

Quote: Originally Posted by Grin View Post
I have the same EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra. Using OC bios and additional fan attached to the card may help a lot together with good PSU. I am using 1250W. 2100/1600 no artifacts.
I am using the OC Bios, I am not, however, using any additional fans. I'm not sure I understand the temp concerns as my card doesn't really get any hotter than 65C. Is there another temperature I should be checking for? I'm using Precision X1 to OC, and I don't see any other info or temps. I'm asking because another poster mentioned the same thing about temps.

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
just to make sure there are no misconceptions; a PSU will either run fine or shut down due to OCP. there's really no middle ground.

but of course there are outliers; using one cable for both pci-e power connections can cause ripple that is relieved by using a separate cable for each connector. other stuff won't come into play unless sub ambient cooling and pushing stuff very far.

and also:
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...-8192-190628-1
Attachment 311752
that 351 power limit is strictly adhered to in the bios unless you cross flash or shunt mod the card. though a point to consider, mostly from m/o experience; i have had extremely bad luck OCing the vram on any evga card that didn't have the sammy vram. what does gpu-z say for vram?

though getting back to the psu, those evga G3 PSUs have a few niggling things but mostly to do with the fan noise. but far as getting the rated wattage or getting flaky when close, is not one of them.

yeah, there's always getting a bad unit but i'd suggest just keeping it simple and assume it's ok until there is something more of a correlation; like swapping the psu relieves the problem or there's nothing left to trouble shoot.

you might end up keeping more of your hair.
I just wanted to be sure. Because of the crashing, I wasn't sure if it was because it was pulling too much power for the PSU to handle or not. GPU-Z Shows GDDR6 (Samsung) as the VRAM. I guess you're right, I did order a new 1200W PSU to see if it does anything else. I seem to be unable to OC the vram at all, there's artefacting in Heaven and Dragon Age. I know Dragon Age isn't the best game to benchtest, but I've been attempting another playthrough. Also, I am using 2 GPU cables for power, I was originally daisy chaining them but I was unable to OC at all past +450 to mem else it would crash my computer. Once I separated the cables it fixed that issue. Just not the vram OC issue.

Last edited by kiasta; 12-13-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in