I'm on the verge of having an nervous breakdown. Been spending so much time doing proper a-z research, creating spread sheets, compairing hardware, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, you name it, for over 6 months in order to feel 100% secure in building my own rig for the very first time ever. Hardware list as follows:
- Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi
- CPU: Ryzen 3950x
- GPU: Asus ROG Strix Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti OC
- PSU: Corsair RM850x
- Ram: 64GB G.Skill TridenZ Neo 16CL b-die
- Storage: 2 x 1TB Samsung Evo Plus
- Cooler: Deepcool Captain 360EX AIO
- Fans: 3 x Antec Prizm + 3 x Noctua NF-S12A
- Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic
This all ended in the grand finale yesterday night, with me finally getting to finishing up the physical build. Boot up went good, BIOS as well, installed Windows, and for the first 15 seconds, i was the happiest kid there is. And then BAM, it hit me straight in the face!:
This dead annoying electric-like kind of low pitched buzz started coming from somewhere around my upper PCIe slot. At first i thought it was the slot itself, so i switched my GPU to the second slot = no change, clean silent BIOS and boot, just to start buzzing like 15 seconds into Windows startup.
It's quite hard to pin-point the exact location of where the noise is coming from, but i am quite sure it's the GPU. Somewhere around where the PCIe power cables enter on the side of the card is my best guess.
I am really at loss here. I spent so much money on this, and have been looking insanely much forward to first load/using the machine, just to be slapped in the head with this bs. For such an amount of money i simply cannot accept this, and as i lack experience in the building game, i don't really know what to do from here.
- Quick facts that might help you guys help me:
- First all the video underplays this issue - the sound is definetely worse/more noticeable IRL.
- Both boot, BIOS and first 15 seconds of Windows use = no problem what so ever.
- I know (or at least have read about coil whine) and when compairing videos of people having this, with my noise - i don't think they match. Mine is much lower pitch, and more of a constant thing, while the coil whine sound clips i've seen/heard, are very dynamic in nature, going up and down in intensity and pitch. Also all cases i've read about, are when under medium to heavy load, and quite random when it comes to which games/software.
- On the contrary the noise is there ALL OF THE TIME in my case. Not only on loads. Idle as well. Makes no difference what i'm doing. Browsing, gaming, video editing (made a quick test), or just leaving it there....all the same.
- When i say "ALL THE TIME" it's not entirely true, there are sequences where the buzz is off for 3 seconds, and the start again by it self or by me "activating" it my doing an action in Windows (could be opening a new tab in Chrome).
- To understand this better, please watch the linked video above:
00:00 - Buzz there from start
00:02 - Me clicking (closing a Chrome tab) buzz stops
00:05 - Buzz starts on its own again without me doing anything
00:08 - Me clicking again (opening a Chrome tab this time) buzz stops
00:11 - Buzz starts by it self yet again
00:17 - Me clicking buzz stops
00:20 - Buzz begins yet again while idling
00:22 - I click, buzz momentarily stops for like 1/10 of a second but continues this time
00:24 - Again, i click, buzz momentarily stops for 1/10 of a second and continues again
00:25 - Same
00:27 - Me clicking buzz stops
00:28 - Buzz begins yet again while idling
00:32 - Me clicking buzz stops
On and on like this all day long.............drives me crazy!
- Definetely audible even with fans on
- Not a fan problem, i've turned them all off still having the issue
- Not a PCIe slot problem, tried 2 different ones
I really hope you guys can help me with this. Like i write i simply can't live with this kind of buzzing all day long. I could understand it to some extend on heavy loads/high FPS while gaming, but hell no while browsing, and doing normal day to day working tasks. Especially as the buzz comes on and off all the time - makes it 100 times more noticable and annoying. Was it static and there at all times, i might (probably not) learn to live with it by getting used to it, but this type of noise comes to remind you it's there by starting and stopping over all the time.
Having spent a fortune on a new rig of this calibre, i will absolutely not accept this - even if i come to the conclusion that this is "normal" - which i highly doubt (guess i would have seen a hell lot of more people complaining about this issue while doing my research earlier). Anyway, if it is - i will sent it all back.
And last thing, please listen carefully to the sound in the video, in stead of just quickly labelling it as coil whine. If it is, it is - but as i wrote it doesn't sound like it to me when comparing other videos.
PLEASE help a first time rig builder, what to do here?!