BIOS flash problems - 2080Ti - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

BIOS flash problems - 2080Ti

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
Good luck, have fun.
 
Bayleaf154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
BIOS flash problems - 2080Ti

I updated my BIOS for the first time without any major issues related to the flashing part, but every once in a while my computer freezes up. It's been happening ever since I flashed my BIOS to the updated one in the 2080Ti Owner's club topic. The only real way to fix it is if I restart my computer, even restarting the drivers with Win Ctrl Shift B doesn't work. I currently reflashed to the original BIOS, but I'd really like to have an increased power limit. Does anyone know what's causing this issue?
Bayleaf154 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:28 PM
Retired Staff
 
JedixJarf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 9,459
Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Sounds like your silicon can't handle the clocks?


JedixJarf is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:36 PM
professional curmudgeon
 
looniam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,970
Rep: 814 (Unique: 459)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayleaf154 View Post
I updated my BIOS for the first time without any major issues related to the flashing part, but every once in a while my computer freezes up. It's been happening ever since I flashed my BIOS to the updated one in the 2080Ti Owner's club topic. The only real way to fix it is if I restart my computer, even restarting the drivers with Win Ctrl Shift B doesn't work. I currently reflashed to the original BIOS, but I'd really like to have an increased power limit. Does anyone know what's causing this issue?
well since you got the bios from the owners' club, how about asking there?

plus it would help if you mentioned what model of card and what bios you flashed. with that info i bet many of the vets there can tell you if it would and what issues it would have.

you're just opening yourself up to a wild goose chase here.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲


looniam is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
Good luck, have fun.
 
Bayleaf154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
Sounds like your silicon can't handle the clocks?
The card froze when I overclocked it but it also froze when I didn't overclock anything.

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
well since you got the bios from the owners' club, how about asking there?

plus it would help if you mentioned what model of card and what bios you flashed. with that info i bet many of the vets there can tell you if it would and what issues it would have.

you're just opening yourself up to a wild goose chase here.
My bad, I have an Asus 2080Ti Strix OC and I grabbed the ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix OC Custom PCB (2x8-Pin) 1000W x 100% Power Target BIOS (1000W) BIOS from the forum post.
Bayleaf154 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 05:47 AM
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 272
Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayleaf154 View Post
The card froze when I overclocked it but it also froze when I didn't overclock anything.



My bad, I have an Asus 2080Ti Strix OC and I grabbed the ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix OC Custom PCB (2x8-Pin) 1000W x 100% Power Target BIOS (1000W) BIOS from the forum post.
If u change power limit with that bios it will freeze iirc, also go easy on the clocks, try +20mhz on core and see what it does, also check temps, if your card is on AIR absolutely dont use this bios and maybe try the galax 380W or some bios around 400W, thats as much as u can cool on air.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
The Red Ice
(4 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
GPU
Galax 1080Ti OC Lab
Cooling
EKWB CUSTOM LOOP
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Good luck, have fun.
 
Bayleaf154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
If u change power limit with that bios it will freeze iirc, also go easy on the clocks, try +20mhz on core and see what it does, also check temps, if your card is on AIR absolutely dont use this bios and maybe try the galax 380W or some bios around 400W, thats as much as u can cool on air.
Ah, I didn't know that the BIOS had the freezes to begin with. Thanks for the information and the warning, even though I haven't really noticed any thermal issues or issues in general with the card.
Bayleaf154 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 272
Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayleaf154 View Post
Ah, I didn't know that the BIOS had the freezes to begin with. Thanks for the information and the warning, even though I haven't really noticed any thermal issues or issues in general with the card.
any XOC bios be it 1000W or 2000W is a dumb idea on AIR. Your card is restricted more by cooling capacity rather than the actual power limit. If u want to unleash 2080ti u need watercooling, thats how it is.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
The Red Ice
(4 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
GPU
Galax 1080Ti OC Lab
Cooling
EKWB CUSTOM LOOP
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Good luck, have fun.
 
Bayleaf154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by dangerSK View Post
any XOC bios be it 1000W or 2000W is a dumb idea on AIR. Your card is restricted more by cooling capacity rather than the actual power limit. If u want to unleash 2080ti u need watercooling, thats how it is.
Alright, thanks for the heads up! Going to flash the GALAX 380W BIOS then, since the MSI 406W BIOS is only for the MSI cards.
Bayleaf154 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 06:31 AM
Slovak_Killer
 
dangerSK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 272
Rep: 14 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayleaf154 View Post
Alright, thanks for the heads up! Going to flash the GALAX 380W BIOS then, since the MSI 406W BIOS is only for the MSI cards.
Sure, have fun.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
The Red Ice
(4 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
CPU
Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
GPU
Galax 1080Ti OC Lab
Cooling
EKWB CUSTOM LOOP
▲ hide details ▲
dangerSK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off