SLI setup - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

SLI setup

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
SLI setup

Hi,

So I'm trying out SLI for the first time - With 2 GTX 780 Ti's - One is Evga the other is Zotac - SLI is enabled with one monitor being connected with one of the 780's PhysX is set to CPU - I'm just trying to run the benchmark Unigine Heaven 4.0 Basic Edition & Unigine Valley 1.0 to see the SLI in action but the bench won't run.

Will this run? - I'll try SuperPosition 2017 next - Any tips appreciated - Thanks

EDIT__Just tried SuperPosition and the app. informed that it had crashed so the same probably happened to Heaven & Valley

edit_changing direct x 11 to direct x 9 enabled the unigine heaven to load. There is also the open GL option as well (which caused a crash)__OK_so_Unigine Heaven was also run in direct x 9 option mode with no problems.

Is this due to the GTX 780 Ti being older? (but the single other GTX 780 card ran the bench. without issue - Any comments welcome as I'm new to SLI but can see the frame increase which is great to see!

On Unigine Heaven 4.0 the opening scene sees 50+ fps - maybe 60 where as with SLI it is 90+which is night and day. However, on Unigine Valley 1.0 I don't see any difference. So I've seen the SLI work which gives me some confidence in SLI to deliver more frames when needed.

Last edited by fra z; 02-19-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 05:44 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1328 (Unique: 704)
they're not that old lol, the age of the cards shouldn't be a problem. people SLI a lot older on HWBOT.

assuming you aren't dropping below PCI-E 8x on either card and you're using an SLI bridge you should just need to enable it in the NVCP and anything that can utilize SLI should work okay (or as okay as SLI can be).

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 860 1TB RAID 0
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Cooling
Raijintek Morpheus II
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 (Blues)
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mouse
Glorious Model D
Audio
Klipsch PowerGate + Schiit Hel
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston DDR4 2400 16GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech G603 Wireless
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S (Browns)
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello again,

Yes in Nvidia control panel it is quite straightforward - On Unigine Heaven I've seen SLI works and is a little test I do just to check. Some other forum user speaks quite highly of SLI and in time I'll see how useful / useless it is or isn't.

I'll also be trying out Crossfire for AMD - (this isn't the AMD section)__but only one question - Does Crossfire use the same cable attachment? I'll check anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:22 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
keplar was one of the last arches where sli was still a common place thing. there should be no issues, aside from general sli issues, which for some reason sli users like to drastically understate and flat out lie about. sunk cost fallacy i think. (can confirm, as a sli user, I lied about ho well tri-titan worked cuz it hurt to know that extra $999 went to a dedicated physx card)

SLI works amazing in synthetic benchmarks, just not so much in reality. You'll find yourself hacking bits, chasing 1FPS spikes, and extreme latency in titles where it doesn't work but has "community support!" hell, you'll even be lucky to get it to work in titles with genuine support without rolling back drivers, or installing said game's day 1 drivers (fallout 4 sli breaks every other nV driver release, even if you plugin the correct bits in inspector)

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:26 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 63 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
Hello again,

Yes in Nvidia control panel it is quite straightforward - On Unigine Heaven I've seen SLI works and is a little test I do just to check. Some other forum user speaks quite highly of SLI and in time I'll see how useful / useless it is or isn't.

I'll also be trying out Crossfire for AMD - (this isn't the AMD section)__but only one question - Does Crossfire use the same cable attachment? I'll check anyway.

Recent AMD cards (R290 and up) do not use a connector/bridge for Crossfire (they connect via the PCIe) but older ones (ie 7970) do use a connector such as the one below. It is different from the NVidia SLI one (which won't fit onto AMD cards)

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi Skupples,

I've read that the best combo is 2 - and I've seen one test where the 3rd got +1 or 2 extra frames.

I've seen on Unigine Heaven opening scene where a GTX 780 Ti x 1 got around 50-60 fps and x2 got 80-90+ so this is awesome - GTX 780 is no slouch either so by adding 2 the performance is there on 1080 on most titles / apps (I suppose)

GTX 680 was a little disappointing but 2 of these could be good on some lower end CPU'S (FX 8350_maybe)__

So 3 of these cards I don't think I'd attempt - but I suppose people aren't to know these things until they try (tri)!! them out
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hello J7SC,

Thanks for the above info as I plan to try the AMD R9 Fury / R9 390X / R9 290 X - And these will connect via PCI-e no cables at all right? - This is good then? - And all done in Catalyst Control Panel ? -
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
Hi Skupples,

I've read that the best combo is 2 - and I've seen one test where the 3rd got +1 or 2 extra frames.

I've seen on Unigine Heaven opening scene where a GTX 780 Ti x 1 got around 50-60 fps and x2 got 80-90+ so this is awesome - GTX 780 is no slouch either so by adding 2 the performance is there on 1080 on most titles / apps (I suppose)

GTX 680 was a little disappointing but 2 of these could be good on some lower end CPU'S (FX 8350_maybe)__

So 3 of these cards I don't think I'd attempt - but I suppose people aren't to know these things until they try (tri)!! them out
yeah, I ran 2x GK110 titans in 1080p, then 1440p surround. It's still to this day my favorite setup. It made me a god during my MMO raiding career. Being able to max zoom without a single frame loss. So I thought "what the hell, let's add a third!" it worked OK in benches, but was dedicated physX pretty much everywhere else. There were less than a hand full of titles where it worked, almost all CRYENGINE branches.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 03:36 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 63 (Unique: 27)
Hello J7SC,

Thanks for the above info as I plan to try the AMD R9 Fury / R9 390X / R9 290 X - And these will connect via PCI-e no cables at all right? - This is good then? - And all done in Catalyst Control Panel ? -

Yup, no bridge connection for those cards, just PCIe bus, activated via Catalyst panel. But double-check that your mobo supports it (it should say 'AMD Crossfire' somewhere on the mobo, and also its box / manual). Most motherboards with more two or more PCIe 16 slot do support it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 119)
I am still rocking my Maxwell Titan X SLI setup. I am looking to get rid of SLI next go. The numbers of games that actually use both cards get smaller and smaller every year. It makes me a little sad since I have been running mostly SLI/Crossfire setups for nearly 20 years. I even played with it on a pair of old Voodoo cards from 3Dfx many moons ago. Back when you needed an external cable connecting the cards.

Aside from needing the bridge on SLI, I see no obvious reason SLI is not working. The only other thing I can think of is a motherboard that does not support it. You need a minimum of two 8x PCIe slots with direct CPU connections. If you have a Z or X series Intel motherboard you are fine. All of those have at least two slots dedicated for SLI/Crossfire setups on mATX and ATX form factors.

So, verify your motherboard even supports SLI. Also, reboot in safe mode and run DDU to remove the drivers. Then reinstall from safe mode and reboot. Sometimes you need to reinstall drives with SLI. It's just a thing. First try does not always work correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in