Not sure if GPU related (Game/System freezes when Nvidia Shadowplay is enabled, happens randomly), need help! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Not sure if GPU related (Game/System freezes when Nvidia Shadowplay is enabled, happens randomly), need help!

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Not sure if GPU related (Game/System freezes when Nvidia Shadowplay is enabled, happens randomly), need help!

I'm having a weird problem in my system, when I enable Nvidia Shadowplay in GFE and go game (it can be recording or not, doesn't matter) sometimes my game acts weird before the real crash (whole system crash not just the game, there is no BSOD showed and I need to reboot in the case button), I'm only playing Elder Scrolls Online at the moment, and it happens sometimes, the game goes without sound (some skills and things still have sound but most of the game goes without sound), and then I can't see enemies and some ground area skills in the game are also invisible, it stays like that for like 30s and then the whole PC freezes without showing BSOD or anything, only way to fix is to reboot in the case button.

Things I tried:

Fresh Windows Installation
Fresh Game Installation
Double checked if my CPU and RAM OC was stable and also removed both of their OC
Tried old Nvidia drivers

What seems to fix it: Completely disabled Nvidia Shadowplay in GFE, I don't know what is this related, to GPU or something, it's really weird never have something like this before, if you guys can give me a hand I appreciate!

Thanks!

My gaming rig
(11 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3600Mhz CL16
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Case
Corsair 275R Tempered Glass
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 110
Mouse
Razer Goliathus Control V2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 PM
Untitled.jpg

Rep: 44 (Unique: 33)
Interesting, it does sound on the face of it like a software/driver issue, perhaps just a conflict between shadowplay and ES:O but then issues with loading in larger amounts of data could also suggest a storage, RAM or VRAM problem.
I would try checking the health of the drive, reseating the RAM then plugging your hard drive or SSD into another port just as quicker free preliminary checks before you drive yourself insane figuring out whether its game, driver or GPU.

I wish you luck cause this sounds like one of those situations where you could wind up building an entirely different system just to find out the game had a bug/conflict all along or for some reason replacing something seemingly completely unrelated fixes it for reasons you'll never understand.

Have you tried running other games with it? If its not happening in others then we can probably use occam's razor here knowing that bethesda are known for severely buggy games.

I wouldn't even be surprised if in the end you had to conclude your XB271HU somehow caused the problem, mines been so freakin weird since I got it. (I'm mostly joking here)

Everyone's freaking out buying all the toilet paper and im here just like "i hope i get this corona thing and i hope it kills me"
Panthera
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro Wifi
GPU
Msi Gaming X Trio RTX 2080
RAM
16GB 3200CL14 G.skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
1TB Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair HX750 Platinum
Cooling
AMD Wraith Prism
Case
NZXT H700
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU G-sync 1440p165hz IPS
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MK730 TKL w/ Cherry Reds
Mouse
Logitech G703 Hero
Mousepad
Glorious Extended
Audio
Presonus Eris 3.5
Audio
Audio-Technica M50xBT
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Lexi is Dumb; 02-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:12 AM
Human Being

Rep: 0
Next time when the system crashed but not rebooting automatically, try pressing Win + Ctrl + Shift + B to restart the GPU. If that doesn't work, download Blender on Steam, then try render the BMW Scene using GPU: https://download.blender.org/demo/te...27_2.blend.zip

If it throws CUDA error or any error when doing render, could be your VRAM is defective.

But why Blender, why not A/B/C/D testing software?
I've came to this situation where I tested my GPU in almost every benchmarking/stress testing software, even games and all said it's normal/stable. But once it hits Blender trying to render the BMW scene, the CUDA Cores throwing errors.

My Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard
ASRock B450M Steel Legend
GPU
Zotac GTX 1660 Ti AMP!
RAM
G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C16D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Hard Drive
Toshiba P300
Power Supply
Be Quiet! Pure Power 11
Cooling
Thermalright True Spirit 120M BW Rev.A
Operating System
Windows 10
Operating System
Linux Mint
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Lexi is Dumb View Post
Interesting, it does sound on the face of it like a software/driver issue, perhaps just a conflict between shadowplay and ES:O but then issues with loading in larger amounts of data could also suggest a storage, RAM or VRAM problem.
I would try checking the health of the drive, reseating the RAM then plugging your hard drive or SSD into another port just as quicker free preliminary checks before you drive yourself insane figuring out whether its game, driver or GPU.

I wish you luck cause this sounds like one of those situations where you could wind up building an entirely different system just to find out the game had a bug/conflict all along or for some reason replacing something seemingly completely unrelated fixes it for reasons you'll never understand.

Have you tried running other games with it? If its not happening in others then we can probably use occam's razor here knowing that bethesda are known for severely buggy games.

I wouldn't even be surprised if in the end you had to conclude your XB271HU somehow caused the problem, mines been so freakin weird since I got it. (I'm mostly joking here)
I see, I thought it could be my SSD (I have atm just one 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, have to update my signature), when I perform benchmarks on it, it acts normally, the write and read speeds are ok, the weird thing is that I don't need to be recording to have the problem, just by having Shadowplay enabled it can happen, and when I mean Shadowplay, not that feature in which records the past 5 min you set, I disabled that, I mean just having it for anytime you press ALT + F9 and it starts recording.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goghor View Post
Next time when the system crashed but not rebooting automatically, try pressing Win + Ctrl + Shift + B to restart the GPU. If that doesn't work, download Blender on Steam, then try render the BMW Scene using GPU: https://download.blender.org/demo/te...27_2.blend.zip

If it throws CUDA error or any error when doing render, could be your VRAM is defective.

But why Blender, why not A/B/C/D testing software?
I've came to this situation where I tested my GPU in almost every benchmarking/stress testing software, even games and all said it's normal/stable. But once it hits Blender trying to render the BMW scene, the CUDA Cores throwing errors.
I will try that, for now I'm testing longer to see if the problem was really Shadowplay, which seems to be.

My gaming rig
(11 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Case
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 110
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So after 5 days testing without Shadowplay I can confirm the problem is related to Shadowplay, maybe it's overlay or something related to that, it's weird because I always used Shadowplay for recording and even streaming in the past in the same PC, without changing anything and it always was without problem.

My gaming rig
(11 items)
CPU
i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus X Hero
GPU
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Case
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271HU
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 110
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in