NVLInk (NOT SLI) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

NVLInk (NOT SLI)

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Been there, done that

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
NVLInk (NOT SLI)

Recently, I have rebuilt my rig with used parts. I went from a x58 platform with a xeon 5690x 6c 12t, to a x79 platfrom with a xeon e5 2697v2 12c 24t 30mb Cache. I am an Engineer, so I figured the I would go with more cores and cache for CAD software and rendering.

I bought (2) MSI RTX 2070 SUPERS and then an ASUS ROG RBG NvLink 4 Slot Bridge ( I could not find the MSI bridge ) My mobo an ASUS P9X79 DELUXE has PCIE 3.0 x16 slots in locations that require me to use the 4 slot, the other PCIE 16x Slots do not the fully 16x capacity. ( You can see the pins only go up to 8x in the 16x lane. )

I did some digging on the NVLink, for i knew right of the get go it is not the same type of interface as SLI. My understanding is NVLink is the same type of platform the Quadro Cards have used, and every sales rep at each computer store I went to, told me it was told it was not recommended to buy (2) RTX 2070 SUPERS as for the "SLI" did not have the performance gains than previous generations. After a month of time went buy with only one RTX 2070 SUPER of normal use and benchmarking, I couldn't take it anymore. I had to have two!

So how is it? HOLY SMOKES! The performance gain has been incredible! In 3DMark has shown results of almost 100% gains on the graphics scores! Frame rates for DX11 Skydiver are went from 180-200 to 400+!
DX12 Time Spy are when from 60-75fps to 120-140fp! Time Spy Extreme 4K went from 30fps to 60fps. For the price of 1100 for both cards and the bridge. I would say these results would be equal to if not the same as a RTX 2080 Ti which is still hovering in the 1300-1400$ Range.

I will follow up with results and provide photos. Now, I am curious about the bandwidth of the bridge itself. ( The ASUS ROG is 40GBs ) some of the nvidia ones for the Quadro cards are 50GBs to 100GBs. I am wondering if finding a compatible with the higher bandwidth would even allow for more.

What do you think? Are there any more items or test you would do with these two cards to show what type of gains and performance increases you would do?

Electrical Engineer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 98 (Unique: 70)
The gains are gone when you don't play 3dmark, that's why you were told not to buy it. Only people that should be using nvlink /sli are those with 2080tis or rtx titans. You have to remember these are gaming cards, in the last 3 years maybe 3-5 new games support nvlink/sli and the scaling is rarely incredible. There are a few exceptions but those are rare.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:21 AM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 446 (Unique: 338)
I'd avoid it at pretty much all cost but that's primarily because I don't care about bench mark scores much these days.

IN HONOR OF SYRILLIAN, R.I.P.
ASUS ROG Rampage IV Black Owners Club || PNW Overclockers Club
BMW TJ07 Build Log -- The Ultimate Cooling Machine
2 year anniversary In Remembrance of a Great - RIP Syrillian
HTPC
(15 items)
Overkill FreeNAS
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix B450-I
GPU
nVidia Titan XP
RAM
Corsair LPX 3200C16 8GBx2
Hard Drive
Samsung PM981 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
IS-60 w/ A12x15 Chromax
Cooling
Accelero Xtreme III
Cooling
2x Noctua NF-A12x25
Case
Fractal Design Node 202
Monitor
LG C9
Keyboard
Logitech G613
Keyboard
Logitech K400
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
LG SK8Y and LG SPK8-S
CPU
E5-2670v1
CPU
E5-2670v1
Motherboard
Supermicro X9DRL-iF
Hard Drive
12x HGST 4TB CoolSpin
Hard Drive
6x WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX750
Cooling
2x Noctua nh-u9dxi4
Cooling
3x Scythe AP-30
Case
Norco 4224
Operating System
FreeNAS
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-1680 V2
Motherboard
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
GPU
nVidia Titan XP (2100/5200)
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 400GB
Hard Drive
Intel 750 1.2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung PM981 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
2x Swiftech D5 w/ EK Dual Pump Top
Cooling
XSPC EX480, EX360 & 2x Phobya 1080
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block
Cooling
EK Advanced 250mL Res
Cooling
Lamptron FC-5V2
Cooling
EK Rampage IV BE Water Block
Cooling
Copper Tubing w/ push fittings
Cooling
EK-FC Titan XP Copper/Acetal
Case
Silverstone TJ07, heavily modified
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus PG297Q
Keyboard
Leopold Otaku
Mouse
Corsair M65
Mouse
Corsair MM600
Audio
Sennheiser HD595 / HD428 / HD280
Audio
Corsair SP2500
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Been there, done that

Rep: 10 (Unique: 9)
Well if you would like to see performance gains for CAD software, I can write up a report. However, might not be to exciting, buts that's what my intent is on this machine.

Electrical Engineer
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mckayman View Post
Well if you would like to see performance gains for CAD software, I can write up a report. However, might not be to exciting, buts that's what my intent is on this machine.
I'd like to see that. It would nice to be see the usefulness of NVLink outside of artificial benchmarks. It would be nice to see some actual games benchmarks as well.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 PM
no regurts

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by nycgtr View Post
The gains are gone when you don't play 3dmark, that's why you were told not to buy it. Only people that should be using nvlink /sli are those with 2080tis or rtx titans. You have to remember these are gaming cards, in the last 3 years maybe 3-5 new games support nvlink/sli and the scaling is rarely incredible. There are a few exceptions but those are rare.
I agree - and I've only been doing SLI starting with 1080's (then 1080 Ti's, Titan Xp's, failed to hack Titan V's NVLinks into working, and now Titan RTX). When it helps, it is usually pretty nice (the only two games I play that come to mind are Witcher 3 and most recently Jedi Fallen Order) but most games won't utilize the second card. This is especially true with DirectX12 titles since that API requires explicit game programming to use multiple graphics cards. In DX11, as long as the game can do full screen mode you *should* be able to get SLI going for it. The games that Nvidia has already made SLI profiles for are the best ones to use it with though - chances are if Nvidia hasn't managed to create an SLI profile for a game - there's probably a good reason for it.

HEDT Overkill
(13 items)
CPU
Core i9 10980xe
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
Titan RTX
GPU
Titan RTX
RAM
G.Skill Trident-Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Case
Thermaltake Tower 900 - black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 38GL950-G
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Speedlink Decus Respec
CPU
9900ks
Motherboard
Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
2080 Ti Kingpin
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200
Case
Cooler Master COSMOS C700M
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus PG348Q
Keyboard
Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Mouse
Corsair Ironclaw RGB
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
CPU
Core i7 9750H
GPU
RTX 2080 Max-Q
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma V2
Mouse
Razer Mamba Wireless 2018
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 07:44 PM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
benchmarks show epic gains.

games rarely do, and many users end up fighting with it more than not, if they play a wide selection of titles. certain genres have support, like simming, for example, but all in all, in the grand history of mGPU, as of right now, for 90% of gamers, they should consider it dead.

NOW THEN .... if you're into benching. go flipping ham. most benchmarks have near perfect scaling. for gaming though, have fun with troubleshooting nearly inherent stutter(minimum FPS tanking) & latency injections, and have fun trying to figure out why the hell you aren't getting above 50% utilization, even with the bits and driver swaps, while everyone else (usually without proof) claim they're having a "perfect" experience (again, on the gaming side of things).

NVLINK tech itself is still not being utilized on a game engine rendering level though. it's all sli still.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 02-28-2020 at 07:49 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 08:33 PM
sudo apt install sl

Rep: 188 (Unique: 130)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalm_Traveler View Post
I agree - and I've only been doing SLI starting with 1080's (then 1080 Ti's, Titan Xp's, failed to hack Titan V's NVLinks into working, and now Titan RTX). When it helps, it is usually pretty nice (the only two games I play that come to mind are Witcher 3 and most recently Jedi Fallen Order) but most games won't utilize the second card. This is especially true with DirectX12 titles since that API requires explicit game programming to use multiple graphics cards. In DX11, as long as the game can do full screen mode you *should* be able to get SLI going for it. The games that Nvidia has already made SLI profiles for are the best ones to use it with though - chances are if Nvidia hasn't managed to create an SLI profile for a game - there's probably a good reason for it.
As more games utilize Vulkan and DX12 we'll see less SLI profiles. AMD already stopped supporting crossfire since the developers can make use of mgpu themselves.

https://developer.nvidia.com/explici...ing-directx-12

Quote:
Background

Since the launch of SLI, a long time ago, utilization of multiple GPUs was handled automatically by the display driver. The application always saw one graphics device object no matter how many physical GPUs were behind it. With DirectX 12, this is not the case anymore. But why start doing something manually that has been working automatically? Because, actually, for a good while before DirectX 12 arrived, the utilization of multiple GPUs has not been that automatic anymore.

As rendering engines have grown more sophisticated, the distribution of rendering workload automatically to multiple GPUs has become problematic. Namely, temporal techniques that create data dependencies between consecutive frames make it challenging to execute alternate frame rendering (AFR), which still is the method of choice for distribution of work to multiple GPUs. In practice, the display driver needs hints from the application to understand which resources it must copy from one GPU to another and which it should not. Data transfer bandwidth between GPUs is very limited and copying too much stuff can make the transfers the bottleneck in the rendering process. Giving hints to the driver can be implemented with NVAPI or by making additional Clear() or Discard() calls for selected resources.

Consequently, even when you didn’t have explicit control over multiple GPUs, you had to understand what happened implicitly and give the driver hints for doing it efficiently in order to get the desired performance out of multi-GPU setups. Now with DirectX 12, you can take full and explicit control of what is happening. And you are no longer limited to AFR. You are free to invent new ways of making use of multiple GPUs that better suit your application

Silent
(20 items)
CPU
Core i9 9900K... CoffeeTime! @ 5.1Ghz w/ 1.36v
Motherboard
Maximus VIII Formula
GPU
Titan RTX @ 2100Mhz/2075Mhz
RAM
TeamGroup Xtreem 32GB 3200Mhz CL15
Hard Drive
HP EX950 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1200w P2
Cooling
EK Supremacy Full Copper Clean
Cooling
XSPC D5 Photon v2
Cooling
Black Ice Gen 2 GTX360 x2
Cooling
EK-Vector Radeon VII - Copper + Plexi
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Tempered Glass Edition
Operating System
Clear Linux
Monitor
Acer XF270HUA
Keyboard
Cherry MX Board 6.0
Mouse
Logitech G600
Mouse
Alugraphics GamerArt
Audio
Definitive Technology Incline
Audio
SMSL M8A
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 60 (Unique: 26)
I've been running NVLink on 2080 Tis for over a year now (sig link), and so far, I have not had any problems...mind you, I don't play quite as many games as others seem to. What is exciting though is that NVidia (rather quietly) added CFR / checkerboard rendering support last November to the RTX line.

Last edited by J7SC; 02-28-2020 at 09:54 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 10:50 PM
no regurts

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
benchmarks show epic gains.

games rarely do, and many users end up fighting with it more than not, if they play a wide selection of titles. certain genres have support, like simming, for example, but all in all, in the grand history of mGPU, as of right now, for 90% of gamers, they should consider it dead.

NOW THEN .... if you're into benching. go flipping ham. most benchmarks have near perfect scaling. for gaming though, have fun with troubleshooting nearly inherent stutter(minimum FPS tanking) & latency injections, and have fun trying to figure out why the hell you aren't getting above 50% utilization, even with the bits and driver swaps, while everyone else (usually without proof) claim they're having a "perfect" experience (again, on the gaming side of things).

NVLINK tech itself is still not being utilized on a game engine rendering level though. it's all sli still.
Yeah idk I've never had any issues with it at all in any game - either it works or it doesn't. Haven't noticed any stutter/latency/etc but I also don't play hundreds of games, probably less than 50. The few where I've really wanted SLI do scale quite well (Witcher 3 and Jedi Fallen Order come to mind).

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I've been running NVLink on 2080 Tis for over a year now (sig link), and so far, I have not had any problems...mind you, I don't play quite as many games as others seem to. What is exciting though is that NVidia (rather quietly) added CFR / checkerboard rendering support last November to the RTX line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX5pNpVMShA
Yeah same boat for me - don't play a huge variety of games and it either works or just isn't supported at all. I still need to try enabling that checkerboard rendering though to see if it helps in something like World of Warcraft.

HEDT Overkill
(13 items)
CPU
Core i9 10980xe
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
Titan RTX
GPU
Titan RTX
RAM
G.Skill Trident-Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair AX1600i
Case
Thermaltake Tower 900 - black
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 38GL950-G
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Speedlink Decus Respec
CPU
9900ks
Motherboard
Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
2080 Ti Kingpin
RAM
GSkill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200
Case
Cooler Master COSMOS C700M
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus PG348Q
Keyboard
Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Mouse
Corsair Ironclaw RGB
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1
CPU
Core i7 9750H
GPU
RTX 2080 Max-Q
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma V2
Mouse
Razer Mamba Wireless 2018
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
2 rtx 2070 super oc , nvlink

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in