Can Someone Help Me Overclock? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Can Someone Help Me Overclock?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Can Someone Help Me Overclock?

I have an Asus G752VY with GTX 980M and Intel i7-6700HQ. This rig has been with me for almost 4 or 5 years and I just don't have the money, time and heart to replace it.
and as you guys know, games these days are getting more demanding, so I'd like to overclock my CPU and GPU to gain some fps.
However I'm completely new about overclocking and affraid of ruining my one and only laptop.

Can someone have the time to help me with overclocking (I'm not looking for crazy boost) and making sure that it is stable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:44 AM
Stock is too casual~

Rep: 78 (Unique: 46)
Somebody quote me if i'm wrong, but usually on these devices the GPU VBios is inside the Main Bios
You can only do something after unlocks and bios flashing, which is a dangerous procedure

Normally you are locked, to have what you have
Maaybe you can undervolt the gpu - maybe (unlikely)
But in order to do anything that has a significant feel - you'll need to unlock stuff
Both , bios and GPU VBios
~ soo unless you feel like learning a lot about it and are experiment friendly, you can't

EDIT:
You have also to keep in mind
Notebooks are a complete package with fixed powersuply powerdraw
In case you want to push one thing, you need to undervolt another, or get a better 3rd party powersuply

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:50 AM
Stock is too casual~

For gaining any kind of feelable performance difference i'd start with:
- Uninstall Bloatware Windows, and get something that is cleaned ~ or focus on cleaning yourself all the bloat till you end up at 1% idle cpu usage
- Grab/mod yourself the ultimate performance powerplan
- Start by disabling anything spectre and meltdown related within windows, and read yourself into Intel ME driver installation, so you can backup and flash the bios without IntelME attached to it ~ that should give around 5-10% more headroom but will lose Intel Quicksync support (the iGPU will still work)
- upgrade ram to dual channel if you haven't ~ but that costs money, soo forget it for now / ram programmingfor OC is tedious and license for the tools are expensive

Or just switch to any linux ~ Arch Linux (Manjaro for example)
And learn how to port your games
Unless you are playing many competitive online shooters, anti-cheat issues shouldn't be something to consider

Personal Records

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Veii View Post
Somebody quote me if i'm wrong, but usually on these devices the GPU VBios is inside the Main Bios
You can only do something after unlocks and bios flashing, which is a dangerous procedure

Normally you are locked, to have what you have
Maaybe you can undervolt the gpu - maybe (unlikely)
But in order to do anything that has a significant feel - you'll need to unlock stuff
Both , bios and GPU VBios
~ soo unless you feel like learning a lot about it and are experiment friendly, you can't

EDIT:
You have also to keep in mind
Notebooks are a complete package with fixed powersuply powerdraw
In case you want to push one thing, you need to undervolt another, or get a better 3rd party powersuply
For gaining any kind of feelable performance difference i'd start with:
- Uninstall Bloatware Windows, and get something that is cleaned ~ or focus on cleaning yourself all the bloat till you end up at 1% idle cpu usage
- Grab/mod yourself the ultimate performance powerplan
- Start by disabling anything spectre and meltdown related within windows, and read yourself into Intel ME driver installation, so you can backup and flash the bios without IntelME attached to it ~ that should give around 5-10% more headroom but will lose Intel Quicksync support (the iGPU will still work)
- upgrade ram to dual channel if you haven't ~ but that costs money, soo forget it for now / ram programmingfor OC is tedious and license for the tools are expensive

Or just switch to any linux ~ Arch Linux (Manjaro for example)
And learn how to port your games
Unless you are playing many competitive online shooters, anti-cheat issues shouldn't be something to consider
Hey Veii!

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! I was kinda expecting that since I am using a laptop, and Ive been trying to kinda improve its performance.
FYI my idle cpu usage is around 5%ish, should I clean up more?
Anyway if its not possible/risky for a laptop to be overclocked, I wouldn't do it just because its my main rig and I'm basically screwed if it's ruined.

I'll come back when I saved up some money and build a PC

Once again, Thank you so much for your help Veii
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:12 AM
Stock is too casual~

Quote: Originally Posted by sgotama View Post
Hey Veii!

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! I was kinda expecting that since I am using a laptop, and Ive been trying to kinda improve its performance.
FYI my idle cpu usage is around 5%ish, should I clean up more?
Anyway if its not possible/risky for a laptop to be overclocked, I wouldn't do it just because its my main rig and I'm basically screwed if it's ruined.

I'll come back when I saved up some money and build a PC

Once again, Thank you so much for your help Veii
I thought if i should edit the message
It should be <1%
Currently i'm chained to my old i7-3612QM
But it has no IntelME backdoor and runs dual channel 1600CL9-9
Did what i can , but yes what is under 1% for me, should be near 0.5-0.8% for you usage on the desktop
Taskmanager sadly on win10 uses also some resources, soo after you open it - wait a bit till it settles down

It's not the "risky" part to be overclocked, i mean of course it is when you have a fixed powerdraw - there is no headroom
But It's rather "not possible without any change" as stuff is locked
The bios is locked, likely voltage regulators for your gpu are locked away
All to hold their fixed powerdraw and don't give users any chance to exceed powertarget

Easiest thing you can do , is disable all mitigation patches
Later work your way to clean out microsofts cr*p

Personal Records

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I thought if i should edit the message
It should be <1%
Currently i'm chained to my old i7-3612QM
But it has no IntelME backdoor and runs dual channel 1600CL9-9
Did what i can , but yes what is under 1% for me, should be near 0.5-0.8% for you usage on the desktop
Taskmanager sadly on win10 uses also some resources, soo after you open it - wait a bit till it settles down

It's not the "risky" part to be overclocked, i mean of course it is when you have a fixed powerdraw - there is no headroom
But It's rather "not possible without any change" as stuff is locked
The bios is locked, likely voltage regulators for your gpu are locked away
All to hold their fixed powerdraw and don't give users any chance to exceed powertarget

Easiest thing you can do , is disable all mitigation patches
Later work your way to clean out microsofts cr*p
Ah I see, alright i'll work on cleaning it first to be <1%.
Any tips to clean it up? maybe like useless programs that are pre-installed or nobody ever use
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:35 AM
Stock is too casual~

Quote: Originally Posted by sgotama View Post
Ah I see, alright i'll work on cleaning it first to be <1%.
Any tips to clean it up? maybe like useless programs that are pre-installed or nobody ever use
There is soo much installed in the hidden, including candy crush and zune music
Hmm, usually i use scripts for these kind of work usually trown together one, not multiple tools
let me check:
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater this should work well
and you can use this guys tool to disable remain services - set up as "profile Tune"
both shouldn't disable Windows Store and shouldn't remove Windows Xbox service soo games like sea of thieves ~ should work
https://github.com/madbomb122/BlackViperScript

EDIT:
Proof of Example Screenshot

Ultimate Performance Powerplan works well for Intel machines
On App launches it boosts up to 2.9
Skin: Janguru Classic

Personal Records

Last edited by Veii; 04-07-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in