Sudden dramatic drop in RTX 2060 laptop FPS - Heaven score attached for reference - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Sudden dramatic drop in RTX 2060 laptop FPS - Heaven score attached for reference

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
kiteman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Rep: 0
Sudden dramatic drop in RTX 2060 laptop FPS - Heaven score attached for reference

I have been only playing COD: Warzone all week at 1080p on a 6 month old Sager laptop with an i7-9750 and an RTX 2060. The temps have been fine with CPU under 90c and GPU under 72c. I had been getting 75fps average until yesterday when all of a sudden it was 45-65, where before i was never even dropping under 60 that i can remember. I didn't change any setting between these two results. I don't think it's throttling per MSI afterburner either. I tried to reinstall Nvidia drivers but that didn't do anything. I ran Heaven and I don't think this score is what my graphics card should be producing? If the score looks fine then I need to reinstall COD, otherwise if this score looks bad something must be wrong with my vid card, but what??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heaven.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	337884  

kiteman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:16 AM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 3,176
Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
Try the following in MSI afterburner turn on in OSD the following:

GPU:
Core clock
Memory clock
Power
Temp

CPU:
CPU Clock
CPU Temp
CPU Power

Play for five mins and take a screenshot of what its reporting.

Then install throttle stop and follow these two guides:

CPU:


GPU:


Following these guides will give you the best efficiency possible.

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
kiteman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
Try the following in MSI afterburner turn on in OSD the following:

GPU:
Core clock
Memory clock
Power
Temp

CPU:
CPU Clock
CPU Temp
CPU Power

Play for five mins and take a screenshot of what its reporting.

Then install throttle stop and follow these two guides:


Following these guides will give you the best efficiency possible.
thanks. first thing first i have the screenshot. i haven't done anything with throttlestop just yet. can you tell anything from this? like i said it was only yesterday i was getting 75+fps on average. i don't know why all of a sudden there would be such a throttle like this, although i'm certainly capable of making adjustments to fix if that does appear to be what is happening.

also i did look at those instructional videos and i did notice that even with my pc on "balanced plan" hwmonitor shows my cpu is running at it's max MHZ all the time for the most part, even if task manager says the utilization is 10% or less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fps.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	564.1 KB
ID:	337904  

kiteman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:09 PM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 3,176
Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
thanks. first thing first i have the screenshot. i haven't done anything with throttlestop just yet. can you tell anything from this? like i said it was only yesterday i was getting 75+fps on average. i don't know why all of a sudden there would be such a throttle like this, although i'm certainly capable of making adjustments to fix if that does appear to be what is happening.

also i did look at those instructional videos and i did notice that even with my pc on "balanced plan" hwmonitor shows my cpu is running at it's max MHZ all the time for the most part, even if task manager says the utilization is 10% or less.
No worries, can you just add another couple of OSD options: 1- CPU power + CPU clocks + Power (This one for the gpu), it will tell me the wattage that is pulled by the cpu and gpu + the actual cpu clocks while gaming.

And regarding the max clocks reported in hwmonitor those are not load clocks so maybe the manufacturer of the laptop disabled some C states with their firmware/bios or the software that you install to control the laptop with.

(Msi dragon center, Lenovo vantage or Asus armory crate, ETC...)

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
kiteman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
No worries, can you just add another couple of OSD options: 1- CPU power + CPU clocks + Power (This one for the gpu), it will tell me the wattage that is pulled by the cpu and gpu + the actual cpu clocks while gaming.

And regarding the max clocks reported in hwmonitor those are not load clocks so maybe the manufacturer of the laptop disabled some C states with their firmware/bios or the software that you install to control the laptop with.

(Msi dragon center, Lenovo vantage or Asus armory crate, ETC...)
FYI I did adjust the throttlestop and msi afterburner already per the instructions. My GPU should only be boosting to 1200 but it was going to 1800, so i lowered that and now it stays at 1200. I also saw the CPU wasn't consistently getting to 4.0ghz as it is supposed to, so now that i adjusted throttlestop it is now consistently at 4.0ghz during gaming. temperatures for both have gone way down, but framerates still continue to be a serious issue. the game was just not playing like this two days ago. otherwise it looks like the throttle issues i should have resolved.

btw i did this screenshot before your post and have since added the cpu power (it has been showing about 40 watts) but i do not see an OSD for GPU power at all, only power limit. could it be called something else? HWINFO shows gpu power max at 60w while i was playing, i don't know if that was a consistent reading, only max. i don't know if this is helpful? thank you for your assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fps2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	698.3 KB
ID:	337912  

kiteman is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 3,176
Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
FYI I did adjust the throttlestop and msi afterburner already per the instructions. My GPU should only be boosting to 1200 but it was going to 1800, so i lowered that and now it stays at 1200. I also saw the CPU wasn't consistently getting to 4.0ghz as it is supposed to, so now that i adjusted throttlestop it is now consistently at 4.0ghz during gaming. temperatures for both have gone way down, but framerates still continue to be a serious issue. the game was just not playing like this two days ago. otherwise it looks like the throttle issues i should have resolved.

btw i did this screenshot before your post and have since added the cpu power (it has been showing about 40 watts) but i do not see an OSD for GPU power at all, only power limit. could it be called something else? HWINFO shows gpu power max at 60w while i was playing, i don't know if that was a consistent reading, only max. i don't know if this is helpful? thank you for your assistance.
A 2060 should be around 80w-90w and not 60w and the CPU needs to be at a constant 45W or more for it to push 4Ghz all the time, What is your laptop's model and did you by any chance update your bios when this problem happened?

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
kiteman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
A 2060 should be around 80w-90w and not 60w and the CPU needs to be at a constant 45W or more for it to push 4Ghz all the time, What is your laptop's model and did you by any chance update your bios when this problem happened?
I just took out all the MSI adjustments I made and now it's at 85 watts. But it's still in the 40-50 fps too. I don't know what's going on...

Last edited by kiteman; 04-08-2020 at 03:31 PM.
kiteman is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 3,176
Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
If the CPU + GPU are pulling (45w+) and (80w+) and clocks are fine during gaming then 99% its a software thing.

Install Latencymon and check the results of 5 mins + check if anything is hogging resources while playing and one more weird thing is the game on an HDD or an SSD? and can you do more testing on other titles and check performance?

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
kiteman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Awsan View Post
If the CPU + GPU are pulling (45w+) and (80w+) and clocks are fine during gaming then 99% its a software thing.

Install Latencymon and check the results of 5 mins + check if anything is hogging resources while playing and one more weird thing is the game on an HDD or an SSD? and can you do more testing on other titles and check performance?
SDD, I don't have any other games just Heaven and it seemed to have poor results as well compared to what others can achieve. I ran LatencyMod and here is the screenshot. I checked and nothing in Windows shows to be actually throttling despite this error message. BTW this message happened like 10 seconds into the test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	latencymon.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	337952  

kiteman is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 AM
Still kinda lost
 
Awsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trance city (Sana'a,Yemen)
Posts: 3,176
Rep: 120 (Unique: 90)
Quote: Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
SDD, I don't have any other games just Heaven and it seemed to have poor results as well compared to what others can achieve. I ran LatencyMod and here is the screenshot. I checked and nothing in Windows shows to be actually throttling despite this error message. BTW this message happened like 10 seconds into the test.

Go to status and check what is the reported CPU speed and Measured CPU speed if they are drastically different then run a game and while in the menu of the game alt tab and run latencymon again.


If all checks out then its for sure not a laptop problem nor a hardware problem, I would recommend downloading the latest Intel DCH graphics drivers and latest Nvidia DCH drivers.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...product=126790

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/159092/en-us

Don't install them yet, Download DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details...-download.html

Make sure you are disconnected from the network for the coming steps so windows wont install the drivers automatically, Reboot into safe mode open DDU , choose the Intel drivers from the options then press on Clean and don't restart then choose the Nvidia and press Clean and restart.

After that you will restart into windows (It will ask for the password not PIN at this stage , some people forget it after a long time of using PIN ) install the Intel drivers and restart then install the Nvidia and restart.

Hopefully this will clean all things related to GPU + Drivers and its helped me fix a lot of Issues including FPS dips.

Godzilla HAF red
(18 items)
The Son Of Godzilla
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard
MSI MEG UNIFY X570
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING BLACK
RAM
G.Skill Trident NEO 32GB 3600mhz
Hard Drive
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB
Hard Drive
WD blue 2tb SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 650w
Cooling
Nh-D15 Chromax
Case
CM H500
Operating System
Windows 10 pro
Monitor
LG24GM77-b
Keyboard
Corsair K95 platinum
Mouse
Logitech G502 SE
Mousepad
Red Gear
Audio
AD900x
Audio
Beyerdynamic Custom Studio
Audio
Schiit Modi 3
Audio
JDS ATOM
CPU
Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM/Intel Core i7 2860QM
Motherboard
P180HMx
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
GPU
AMD Radeon HD 6990M
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
RAM
Samsung
Hard Drive
Seagate 750GB 7200RPM
Optical Drive
Blu-Ray reader
Power Supply
300W+8 cells battery
Cooling
Sager Cooling + CM SF-19 USB 3.0
Case
SagerNP8180
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate X64
Monitor
18.4 1920x1080 Glossy 16:9 Plastic covered
Keyboard
Gigabyte wirless
Mouse
Gigabyte wireless
Mouse
Table
Audio
ultrasone pro 550 + FiiO E7++ on board 5.1 sound system
▲ hide details ▲
Awsan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off