Kraken G12 X53 and GTX 1080 in 680x - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Kraken G12 X53 and GTX 1080 in 680x

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2020, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 5)
Kraken G12 X53 and GTX 1080 in 680x

I want to get a sinch more performance and much lower accoustics from the my MSI GTX1080 GamingX.
I've seen on youtube, someone use the g12 on the GamingX with the baseplate/front plate in tact, which
should help take care of the heat from VRMs.

I was after some opinions on how to setup my case the Corsair 680x. I currently have a Antec Kuhler 920,
49mm radiator AIO. Its at the rear of the case.

I want to add a 240mm or 280mm AIO with the Kraken G12. Question is where can I put it? And it seems
the 280mm wont work on the roof of the case as the Kuhler 920 will be in the way.

So attached are two pictures, where would you suggest I mount the 240 Kraken X53 dual radiator AIO.
And should I use the Kuhler for teh GPU and the X53 for the CPU?

fyi-rear radiator config is push pull

Heres the shopping list:

Kraken G12 - £25
Kraken x53 - £120
MX-4 thermal paste - £5
VGA to 3pin Fan connector - £10
Riser cable - £50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 03:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think, you shouldn't buy G12&X53 Kraken for GTX1080 in 2020, its not worth the cost

X53 for cpu is a good option and you can mount it on top, LL120 fans at bottom will be nice IMO
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 05:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Dual rad setups should be two exhausts, one at the rear and one at the top. If yours doesn't fit at the top, you have two options:
1) Reverse the airflow - put one rad at top as exhaust, one rad at front as exhaust, and one fan at rear as intake. It's "fundamentally" correct and the case itself won't build up hot air, but temps of the exact components may not be optimal.
2) Keep airflow standard, but put one radiator as intake. It means one component will be cool at the expanse of another component which will be heated.
It won't matter much, just pick what you prefer.

As for debating which radiator goes to which component, it won't matter much. This 1080 is about 250W TDP when overclocked, right? So the Kuhler will probably hold the temps at max 55c (with 24c ambient), and the X53 will probably be at around 40c. You won't need high speed fans for this performance, max 1500RPM should be good.

One final word about this card, it has a frontplate. This frontplate WILL interfere with how the water block sits on the GPU. Jayz2Cents mentions it in some video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by buyology View Post
I think, you shouldn't buy G12&X53 Kraken for GTX1080 in 2020, its not worth the cost

X53 for cpu is a good option and you can mount it on top, LL120 fans at bottom will be nice IMO
Well I'd like to get as much performance out my 1080 as possible, I dont plan to change it anytime soon. I could re-use the x53 (x72 see below) or sell it on. Same with G12.

Quote: Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
Dual rad setups should be two exhausts, one at the rear and one at the top. If yours doesn't fit at the top, you have two options:
1) Reverse the airflow - put one rad at top as exhaust, one rad at front as exhaust, and one fan at rear as intake. It's "fundamentally" correct and the case itself won't build up hot air, but temps of the exact components may not be optimal.
2) Keep airflow standard, but put one radiator as intake. It means one component will be cool at the expanse of another component which will be heated.
It won't matter much, just pick what you prefer.

As for debating which radiator goes to which component, it won't matter much. This 1080 is about 250W TDP when overclocked, right? So the Kuhler will probably hold the temps at max 55c (with 24c ambient), and the X53 will probably be at around 40c. You won't need high speed fans for this performance, max 1500RPM should be good.

One final word about this card, it has a frontplate. This frontplate WILL interfere with how the water block sits on the GPU. Jayz2Cents mentions it in some video.
I saw the jays2cents video, however the MSI Armour/Gamingx plates dont seem to intefere with install - see here ->

So heres whats happened. Today I noticed that the X72 and G12 were on offer!!
I will go for these, just because its cheaper to go for x72+G12, instead of x53.

I will therefore place the 360 x72, in front as intake. Keep Kuhler at rear as exhaust. Two fans on room for exhaust and two fans below as intake.

Thats 5 fans intake (front 3 and bottom 2) and 3 fans exhaust (rear 1 and top 2).

Does that sound reasonable?

fyi - gpu will be vertically mounted with riser cable.

Last edited by masscrazy; 04-30-2020 at 06:42 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 06:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Be sure to post some pictures of the finished build. Got a G12 + X42 myself last week. Very happy with the temperatures now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by masscrazy View Post
Well I'd like to get as much performance out my 1080 as possible, I dont plan to change it anytime soon. I could re-use the x53 (x72 see below) or sell it on. Same with G12.

I saw the jays2cents video, however the MSI Armour/Gamingx plates dont seem to intefere with install - see here ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjCeCebWexU&t=338s

So heres whats happened. Today I noticed that the X72 and G12 were on offer!!
I will go for these, just because its cheaper to go for x72+G12, instead of x53.

I will therefore place the 360 x72, in front as intake. Keep Kuhler at rear as exhaust. Two fans on room for exhaust and two fans below as intake.

Thats 5 fans intake (front 3 and bottom 2) and 3 fans exhaust (rear 1 and top 2).

Does that sound reasonable?

fyi - gpu will be vertically mounted with riser cable.
That's a nice acquisition.
Regarding how much performance you could get - You will see some improvement in benchmarks, but don't expect your 1080 to turn into a 1080ti. Now that I think of it... wouldn't it just be cheaper to sell your 1080 and get a 1080ti? Unless of course, you just want to mess with the card, crack it open, play with clocks etc... Which is exactly what I've done with my card.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
That's a nice acquisition.
Regarding how much performance you could get - You will see some improvement in benchmarks, but don't expect your 1080 to turn into a 1080ti. Now that I think of it... wouldn't it just be cheaper to sell your 1080 and get a 1080ti? Unless of course, you just want to mess with the card, crack it open, play with clocks etc... Which is exactly what I've done with my card.
HMMMMMmmmmm soo firstly ofcourse not expecting 1080ti performance, all i'm expecting is slight better frame rates and specfically better min frame rates.

I dont just want to mess with the card, I mainly want it quieter with a side benefit slightly better performance hopefully!!

Otherwise, its an interesting option to sell my card. I've had a look and the Ti is around 450, i can maybe get 350 for mine. So 210 its costing for the g12+x72+riser+92mm fan then an another £100 to go from 1080 to 1080ti, itll cost around 310. Which is ok, but hassel of selling mine, buying a gamble on ebay is not something I look forward to. So interesting option, got me thinking, but think i'll stick with what i got and improve the cooling for the accoustics.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Illined View Post
Be sure to post some pictures of the finished build. Got a G12 + X42 myself last week. Very happy with the temperatures now.
Here ya go!! Well pleased with temps, looks all!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	344864  

Name:	IMG_1254.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	344866  

Name:	IMG_1248.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	344868  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in