Having stutters/frame drops - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Having stutters/frame drops

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
canada2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 120
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Having stutters/frame drops

Having some trouble recently. I'm getting framerate drops/frametime jumps while gaming.

I have an afterburner log so you can see what is going on. At the bottom in framerate and frametime you can really see the drops.

I have reinstalled Windows, updated all drivers to current, bios current.

This only started last week. Not sure what to do at this point or even what is causing it. I have drop my ram back down to 2333mhz and nothing changed. Loaded bios defaults, no change.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wxqdipfrl...oring.hml?dl=0

Specs
AMD 3900x
Asus x570 Crosshair wifi
Gtx1080
32gb Trident-Z 3600mhz cl16
Custom watercooled

1 m.2 nvme Xpg S11 pro
1 m.2 nvme Crucial P1
3 sata3 ssd Samsung

canada2005 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:06 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,510
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
have you changed drivers/pushed windows updates?

have you tried dropping your CPU clocks, or are you running auto OC?

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
canada2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 120
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
have you changed drivers/pushed windows updates?

have you tried dropping your CPU clocks, or are you running auto OC?
I have update Nvidia drivers a couple times. Windows is fully up to date before and after I reinstalled.

CPU has no overclock. Just stock settings.

canada2005 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:18 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,510
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
do you have nvidia experience installed?

if so, remove.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:24 PM
Overclocker
 
EastCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,573
Rep: 157 (Unique: 102)
I think you might be on the right course when you referenced your memory. Try just 1 stick. What games are you having problems with?
EastCoast is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:02 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Jdpurvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by canada2005 View Post
Having some trouble recently. I'm getting framerate drops/frametime jumps while gaming.

I have an afterburner log so you can see what is going on. At the bottom in framerate and frametime you can really see the drops.

I have reinstalled Windows, updated all drivers to current, bios current.

This only started last week. Not sure what to do at this point or even what is causing it. I have drop my ram back down to 2333mhz and nothing changed. Loaded bios defaults, no change.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wxqdipfrl...oring.hml?dl=0

Specs
AMD 3900x
Asus x570 Crosshair wifi
Gtx1080
32gb Trident-Z 3600mhz cl16
Custom watercooled

1 m.2 nvme Xpg S11 pro
1 m.2 nvme Crucial P1
3 sata3 ssd Samsung
Make sure HPET is disabled (Device Manager, under System). I had an annoying stutter - clearly visible in 3DMark - frame rate dropped briefly, every few seconds. Turning off HPET fixed it.
Jdpurvis is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:13 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Yuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 211
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
does it happen in every game?

Some games are just poorly optimized like Borderlands3 that will stutter if you go beyond the console 30-60fps bull****.

PewPew Rig
(12 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master
GPU
RTX™ 2080 Ti GAMING OC 11G
RAM
G.SKill Trident Z Neo
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
Power Supply
be quite! Straight Power 11
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Dark Base Pro 900
Monitor
ViewSonic ELITE XG270QG
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Ultra
Mousepad
ZOWIE G-SR- SE Deep Blue
Audio
Creative Soundblaster AE5
▲ hide details ▲
Yuke is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
canada2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 120
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
I tried disabling hpet. No change.
Going to try some older nvidia drivers next. If that doesn't do anything I'm going to pull out my watercooling for cleaning and throw on the stock heatsinks on and see if anything changes.
I've been watching my temps idle and while gaming and nothing is out of the ordinary for watercooled.

This problem only started 2 weeks ago. I've had it watercooled for over a year now without problems.

canada2005 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Vermin Supreme 2020
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bradentucky
Posts: 25,510
Rep: 737 (Unique: 388)
Quote: Originally Posted by canada2005 View Post
I tried disabling hpet. No change.
Going to try some older nvidia drivers next. If that doesn't do anything I'm going to pull out my watercooling for cleaning and throw on the stock heatsinks on and see if anything changes.
I've been watching my temps idle and while gaming and nothing is out of the ordinary for watercooled.

This problem only started 2 weeks ago. I've had it watercooled for over a year now without problems.
what else changed two weeks ago?

did you get a new wireless device? Do you have a wireless device synced now you didn't before? Did you update Windows? Install new software/game/runtimes/redists?

make sure you don't install GeForce experience when you install said older driver.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
canada2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 120
Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Update. I used ryzen master and put my cpu in eco mode. All my stutters went away. Not sure what to do at this point.

canada2005 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off