FAQ: SLi - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

FAQ: SLi

Closed Thread

post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 519 (Unique: 323)

What is Nvidia SLi technology?
SLi technology allows the use of multiple Nvidia graphics cards in a single computer system with a motherboard equipped with an nForce SLi media and communications processor (MCP).

Do you need to have dedicated hardware in order to run SLi?
Yes. You will need an nForce based motherboard with two PCI-Express 16x graphics ports and two matching GeForce graphics cards which are “SLi Ready”. Alternatively, if you have an Intel Skulltrail motherboard, or any motherboard using an Intel X58 chipset, you can also run SLi.

Is it possible to run SLi on a non-nForce based motherboard?
It is possible, but will only work with older SLi capable cards. You would have to make sure that the motherboard has two PCI-Express 8x slots, so most Intel 965 and 975 based boards will work. You would also have to obtain the hacked 85.96 drivers, which means that you won't be able to run any newer cards in SLi. At the moment you cannot run "hacked SLi" on any cards that came out after the 7900 series, so that relates to the 7950 cards and the entire 8 series that was released after. With this in mind, and the fact that it isn't offically supported by Nvidia, it's not recommended to go for a setup like this.

What graphics cards support SLi technology?
Most of Nvidia’s PCI-Express graphics cards starting from the 6600 GPU can be run in SLi. However, it is always best to check before you buy that your graphics card is "SLi Ready". You can find the current list of Nvidia GPU's that support SLi here.

When two cards are run in SLi does the memory count as being doubled?
No, you do not add the memory of two cards in SLi together as both cards store the same data and textures that are being rendered simultaneously.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different GPU’s?
No. Both cards that are to be run in SLi must have matching GPU’s. For example, a GTX480 cannot be paired with a GTX580.

Can I mix and match graphics cards from different manufacturers?
Yes. The latest ForceWare drivers allow pairing of cards from different manufacturers. For example, you can safely pair an XFX 8600GTS with an EVGA 8600GTS.

Can I mix and match graphics cards if one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer or has been volt modded to attain higher clocks?
Yes. When using two graphics cards with differing default core and memory clocks, the faster of the two cards will lower its clocks to match the speeds of the lower card.

When I overclock in SLi will it apply to both cards?
Yes. Though you will only see one slider bar for the core and one slider bar for the memory, any alterations you make to the clock speeds of core and memory will be applied to both cards simultaneously.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
This is not recommended, so it would be better if you could consider the answer as a “no”, but it is possible using CoolBits. Though at the end of the day, if you currently own an 8800GTS 640MB you should purchase a second 8800GTS 640MB. However, when using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLi mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes. So an 8800GTS 640MB paired with an 8800GTS 320MB would operate the same as 8800GTS 320MB SLi.

Enableing CoolBits;

Step 1. Click on your Start Menu in the Windows Task Bar and select Run. When the command box opens, type "regedit" (without the quotes) and press OK. With the registry editor open, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\SOFTWARE \\NVIDIA Corporation \\Global \\NVTweak (expand the menu using the "+" expansion buttons to locate this menu item). Click on "NVTweak" in the menu. Next, right-click on the empty space inside right window and choose "New>DWORD value". Name the value "Coolbits" (without the quotes).

Step 2. Within the Registry Editor, right click on Coolbits and choose Modify. Change the Value data to "18" (without the quotes) and click OK. Exit the Registry Editor.

Can SLI technology work with AGP or PCI cards?
No. SLi technology is exclusive to the PCI Express bus due to its superior bandwidth and support for isochronous data transportation.

Can I run multiple monitors when using SLi?
Yes, but you will need the latest Forceware drivers, available from nvidia's homepage. Only drivers from 180.48 onwards will allow you to run multiple monitors when SLi is enabled. IF you don't have the latest drivers you'll have to disable SLi in nVidia control panel in order to get multiple monitors to work.

What operating systems are supported with SLi technology?
SLi technology supports 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7, as well as 32-bit and 64-bit Linux (IA-32 and AMD-64/EM64T).

I have three of these cards, only two are in SLI, can I use the third one for PhysX?

No.It seems that when the drivers detect three identical cards (even if they aren't Tri-SLI capable), it doesn't let you use the third card only for PhysX because they figure what is the point if you'd rather do Tri-SLI and GPU PhysX. This applies wither or not your cards are Tri-SLI capable or not. It is possible that a driver bug causes this. You'll need a different card to have dedicated PhysX support.

Useful Websites

www.nvidia.com
www.slizone.com
www.nzone.com
LL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 231)
Good FAQ, except you're incorrect about ALL GPU's being SLI capable since the 6-series. Particular low end models (ie. 7300LE/SE/GS) are incapable of SLI and some low-mid range models are only capable of software SLI, which blows.

Just a little thing to add Good overall though!

Sandy Beach
(13 items)
CPU
2500K @ 4.5GHz/1.32v
Motherboard
P8P67-PRO [BIOS 1704]
GPU
MSI GTX780 TFIV
RAM
G.Skill 4x4GB DDR3-1600 (8-8-8-24-1T)
Hard Drive
512GB 850EVO, WD Black 1TB & ES.2 1TB & Cuda 3TB
Power Supply
SilverStone Strider Plus 750W [Sleeved]
Cooling
XSPC Rasa w/ RS240
Case
Custom Stacker 832
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Monitor
Dell SX2210
Keyboard
Filco Ninja w/ Browns
Mouse
Logitech G500
Mouse
Steelseries 4HD
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 PM

well thought out. good one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle
well thought out. good one.
To be honest, I just thought that this section could do with something like this as these same questions keep cropping up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post
Good FAQ, except you're incorrect about ALL GPU's being SLI capable since the 6-series. Particular low end models (ie. 7300LE/SE/GS) are incapable of SLI and some low-mid range models are only capable of software SLI, which blows.

Sorry, I'll edit that, it does appear that a select few manufacturers don't implement SLi support on their own custom versions of the 7300GPU. An example would be the Asus EN7300TC. I got my original information from here.

I also plan to add information on running SLi on non-nForce chipset based motherboards with hacked drivers after I've researched the topic a little more.

post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 59)
Nicely done t4ct1c47!

post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Nice FAQ owd.

post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 589 (Unique: 377)
Looks good, stuck!

post-flame-small.gifKeep the standards high and the noise low. Do YOU have quality content?post-flame-small.gif

Can't get enough of Overclock.net? Keep up with us on Facebook!

For any time-sensitive issues, or anything pertaining to our business operations, email is a far better way to contact me than PM. Please remember you can contact any staff member via email to their username @overclocked.net.

post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post
Looks good, stuck!
Woot!

post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 161 (Unique: 153)
nice i was always wondering if my card was sli ready. and for 64.99 for a brand new one im gonna get one and see how much it helps since i have a sli mobo. thanks man rep+

Edited because of edited profanity. Lame

post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 126)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwolf909 View Post

7300's are capable of SLI.

Always looking for more friends to play games with, add me! thumb.gif
Steam: Munchkinpuncher
Origin: Blackwatur
Xbox Live: Blackwatur
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in