Step Up now or later? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Step Up now or later?

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 814 (Unique: 613)
Ok. so i'm not sure if i'll be in Europe when the time comes to Step Up... so the temptation to step up to an 8800GTS 512 now calls...

should i wait? if i do, i'd have to find someone who can actually ship out the card on the due time, and recieve the new card for me, and i'm not sure if i can find someone who will that... Not to mention that i don't know if any new and good cards will be coming by the time i have to Step Up.

I've got 89 days remaining on my Step Up timer...

R.I.P Syrillian
Blitz6804, ... you watch too many telecomunications commercials XD
staryoshi: Your wallet is tight like a clam. Let it breathe like a fish
JCG: you spent half of your life studying for a job, and the other half complaining about the said job
Miki, re Boxxy; She's totally adorable, who could not like her? I know, I know, some find her annoying. But, I think they are just boring so their opinions don't count.
Afrodisiac; You are such a hypocrite it's not even funny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Where will you be in 80-90 days then?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

back home, in southern africa... I just stay in the UK during uni time

R.I.P Syrillian
JCG: you spent half of your life studying for a job, and the other half complaining about the said job
Miki, re Boxxy; She's totally adorable, who could not like her? I know, I know, some find her annoying. But, I think they are just boring so their opinions don't count.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Retired Staff

How much is the 8800GT to 8800GTS Step Up for you?

You just got your 8800GT yesterday? Would it be cheaper to just return it and get a 8800GTS?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM

I would just wait to be honest. The difference between a GT and GTS really isn't that much.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 208 (Unique: 185)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
I would just wait to be honest. The difference between a GT and GTS really isn't that much.
agreed, my friend has gts 512's, aside form that we have literally identical systems. I can BARELY tell a difference. Aside from crysis: nothing.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
How much is the 8800GT to 8800GTS Step Up for you?

You just got your 8800GT yesterday? Would it be cheaper to just return it and get a 8800GTS?
I don't know if it'd be cheaper - i don't know how much the upgrade will cost... (not sure how to check without submitting the Step Up request)

R.I.P Syrillian

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
I don't know if it'd be cheaper - i don't know how much the upgrade will cost... (not sure how to check without submitting the Step Up request)
Subtract your purchase price from the 8800GTS MSRP (€359). Add in shipping costs.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

it'll cost nearly double the price of the card... but then i paid something like 130 euros for my card when converted from pounds...

why is there such a massive discreptancy?

R.I.P Syrillian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in