Recent graphics issues - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Recent graphics issues

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have two GTX 285 OCX and recently I've been having a problem where the graphics will pause for a second or two and then go back to normal. This usually happens after playing for a few hours. Today, that same issue happened but instead of it going back to normal, I got some seriously bad artifacting and there was gray all over my screen and I could barely see anything. Once I rebooted the game, the artifacting was gone, but I still get the hiccups with the graphics. I know I have enough power for the cards but could this be a cooling issue with the case fans? I use air cooling and I have 4 fans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 415 (Unique: 341)
make sure to set your fans to atleast 80%. this can be done with rivatuner. this does sound like a heat issue.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
When you start playing do you manually turn the video card fans up? They will not go up high enough on there own. You have to manually do it. I turn mine all the way up while gaming. Also, maybe something got corrupt on the drivers. Have you installed new drivers recently? Another thing is to try using one card. I dont know maybe one is going bad. The top one is the one it will use when you diable SLI. If that one works, then switch them. Just a few things to try. Do you have any temps for the cards to give us?

"NO SUCH THING AS FUTURE PROOF"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry just noticed yours are BFG and mine are eVGA. I believe you can also use precision tuner that eVGA puts out.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

At full load they are running at about 70 C after a few hours. I just played for about 30 minutes and they are around 61 C. I recently installed the new drivers and they totally dropped my performance on WoW. Went from an average of 40 fps in cities to about 13 or 14. I got rid of that one and reinstalled the driver that actually worked with that game and it's been running fine. I have been getting the system error where the card shuts off and then turns back on (can't think of what it's called). It doesn't happen all the time, but I have been getting it lately. I never knew that I had to manually crank up the fans on the cards, is rivatuner the best way to do it? Also, could you give me the correct procedure to follow when installing new drivers? I know you're not supposed to just install the new driver, you should uninstall the old one first right? Thanks in advance for any help

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also, what is a good graphics card temp monitoring program?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well i know the eVGA fans dont crank up enough to cool it enough. So i just use Precision Tool and turn it up before gaming. It only takes couple of seconds to do. No big deal.

I uninstall the drivers like normal. Than restart into Safe Mode (F8 on mine) and use Driver Cleaner to get out all of the old driver. Then I restart it. I personally delete the folders that the drivers where in. Start completely fresh. If you got to your C drive you will find your Nvidia folder. If you use Nvidia nForce drivers, make sure you dont delete that folder. Unless your doing a fresh install on them also.

I personally sometimes just uninstall all nVidia drivers including nForce drivers and just do a fresh install all around. Its up to you. If you are having problems with these drivers use an earlier version. If you didnt uninstall these drivers properly, then do so and try them again. We are here if you need more help.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Try Precision Tool. It is an eVGA program, but I believe it works with all nVidia cards. Try it. Thats what I use, cause I have eVGA cards.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Great, thank you for the help. I'm going to turn the fans up the next time I play and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, I'm going to try and troubleshoot the cards and see if one is going bad on me. Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how things turn out

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Your temps you listed above are not that bad. Maybe try reinstalling the drivers. Have you done any other driver update or install around the time this happened. It could be the drivers. Which drivers are you using?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in