People with a V-Locked Asus DirectCuII 7970 Please read - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

People with a V-Locked Asus DirectCuII 7970 Please read

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
hey all

If you have an Asus DirectCUII 7970 that happens to be Voltage locked please download the GPU-Tweak 2.2.1.4 software

Upon using this version of the software i was able to unlock my voltages, This was a true voltage option.

Before i could only get 1100Mhz before my GPU was unstable.

With the Unlock i can get 1.35V and 1275Mhz on the core and 1875 on the memory!

You can download the software here: http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads2/2012/10/GPUTweakVer2214.zip

Please let me know if this works for you, if not we can find a way !

Hmmmm....
I like Lucky charms tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry go_quote.gif
If we use breast implants in computers, no wonder the floppy went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
just installed it, I will let you know after a reboot, but I am guessing it will not work for me. ive tried just about everything over the last couple weeks. this card is really pissing me off.

what bugs me even more is the lack of UEFI GOP bios support, so fast booting with windows 8 is broken. powercolor has stepped it up and updated their vga bios to enable it, evga is doing it for their NVidia cards, but nothing from asus.

thanks for the post though, glad it worked for you! what bios does your card have? maybe fast booting will work for you!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedo View Post

just installed it, I will let you know after a reboot, but I am guessing it will not work for me. ive tried just about everything over the last couple weeks. this card is really pissing me off.

what bugs me even more is the lack of UEFI GOP bios support, so fast booting with windows 8 is broken. powercolor has stepped it up and updated their vga bios to enable it, evga is doing it for their NVidia cards, but nothing from asus.

thanks for the post though, glad it worked for you! what bios does your card have? maybe fast booting will work for you!

Standard DCII Bios mate smile.gif

Hmmmm....

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

I am pretty sure there is a few different bios revisions shipped with this card. mine is the as08.u3, switch away from crossfire connector. still need to check out the other switch position.

just rebooted, it appears I have voltage control now, but clocks are locked at 1125

edit: just ran occt gpu test, max voltage reported with gpuz was 1.17, so even though I had it set higher in gpu tweak, 1.17 was max.

edit again: appears that voltage is changing but gpuz is not reporting correctly. looking at my kill a watt while adjusting voltage there is a change in power usage. will have to do more testing later. still odd that your clocks are unlocked. when you get a chance could you check in gpu tweak settings > live update and post what bios version you are on?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
Is 1.35v safe to run 24/7 assuming everything can be cooled enough? I thought the generally accepted max "safe" power was 1.25-1.3volts
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I am pretty sure there is a few different bios revisions shipped with this card. mine is the as08.u3, switch away from crossfire connector. still need to check out the other switch position.

just rebooted, it appears I have voltage control now, but clocks are locked at 1125

edit: just ran occt gpu test, max voltage reported with gpuz was 1.17, so even though I had it set higher in gpu tweak, 1.17 was max.

edit again: appears that voltage is changing but gpuz is not reporting correctly. looking at my kill a watt while adjusting voltage there is a change in power usage. will have to do more testing later. still odd that your clocks are unlocked. when you get a chance could you check in gpu tweak settings > live update and post what bios version you are on?

My Bios is: 6798.15.12.0.4.AS08.U3

Unlock Voltage Monitoring within GPU-Tweak, That gives the correct reading.
Unfortunatly The Clock speeds are Limited in GPU-Tweak so i am forced to use MSI-Afterburner aswell.

Most software cannot detect the voltages on these cards, thus just present you with what a normal 7970 would be. hence the 1.17v

What i do is:
1. Open GPU-Tweak
2. Set voltages and press apply
3. Open MSI AB
4. Set Clocks and press apply
5. Open a game and then check back to MSI to see if clocks have stuck.
6. Check GPU-Tweak to see what Voltage reading is, if it has stuck to what i want then BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitty13 View Post

Is 1.35v safe to run 24/7 assuming everything can be cooled enough? I thought the generally accepted max "safe" power was 1.25-1.3volts
Well I don't know, My 24/7 clocks are 1200/1800 @ 1.260v, The DCII was built to be Overclocked and over volted hence the Massive VRM bank.

Hmmmm....

Quote:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

with the 2.2.1.4 gpu tweak software, and my dc2 non top with AS08.U3 bios, I had voltage control. I think the bios Is where people are having such different luck with voltage control etc.

now, with my pursuit to get fastboot working I needed a uefi bios with gop so I flashed to this one found here
and voltage control is no longer an option, I have yet to try any other versions of gpu tweak. on the bright side, I now have a working uefi bios, and my card is seen a dc2t.

for anyone interested in this, you can check out the thread here, props to CPL0

edit: just installed gpu tweak 2.3.0.2 and now I can set gpu and memory to 2000/9999, but yep you guessed it, voltage is locked to 1.18 max like usual. so it seems like its one or the other with this card. really asus, really? no seriously really?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

with the 2.2.1.4 gpu tweak software, and my dc2 non top with AS08.U3 bios, I had voltage control. I think the bios Is where people are having such different luck with voltage control etc.

now, with my pursuit to get fastboot working I needed a uefi bios with gop so I flashed to this one found here
and voltage control is no longer an option, I have yet to try any other versions of gpu tweak. on the bright side, I now have a working uefi bios, and my card is seen a dc2t.

for anyone interested in this, you can check out the thread here, props to CPL0

edit: just installed gpu tweak 2.3.0.2 and now I can set gpu and memory to 2000/9999, but yep you guessed it, voltage is locked to 1.18 max like usual. so it seems like its one or the other with this card. really asus, really? no seriously really?

I use a do to dvi adapter to get BIOS to show when on stock BIOS

Yea the new GPU tweak allows higher clocks but you loose voltage controls.... Which is very stupid.

I suggest you go back to stock BIOS mate and use a do to dvi plug

Hmmmm....

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in