Flashed Vega 56 Pulse... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Flashed Vega 56 Pulse...

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Flashed Vega 56 Pulse...

Hello Overclockers,
I want to tell you how I knocked out my Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse with a forced BIOS-Flash, by rising the power limit and running Furmark.

After over 8 years of using my old computer, I built my new system in the end of december and decided to go completely with AMD (RX Vega 56, R7 2700X).
I am very interested in benchmarking my new system and overclocking it, to see how far I can go. After many experiments I reached a point there I thought I couldn´t go higher because changing my GPU clock brought no performance improvements anymore. It couldn´t get to that frequency at load with a temperature under 65°C and I couldn´t go much higher than 980 MHz with my memory.
I was thinking it could be a power limit issue and with the intention to clock my memory higher, I tried out to flash a Vega 64 BIOS over my power saver BIOS yesterday.

I downloaded ATIFlash and used many BIOS versions which only gave me the error "Subsystem ID mismatch". After some time and reading I found out it was due to the Pulse custom design and that there was no Vega 64 version of it. Nevertheless I used the windows commandline with ATIFlash and force flashed the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ BIOS on it.

After the first restart I just got a blackscreen on both monitors, used my standard BIOS again and retried with only 1 monitor plugged in - I got a picture and for GPU-Z my GPU was now a Vega 64 with all of it´s settings. I was even able to use both monitors now.
The first benchmark run looked promising and I nearly reached my maximum Vega 56 overclock. But this wasn´t enough for me, I decided to use the full potential by rising the power limit by 50% and running Furmark again. Maybe 2 seconds into benchmarking my PC got quieter and I lost the signal on both monitors, everything else in the system was still running. The fan wasn´t spinning anymore and the EZ debug VGA led was now lid on every startup.
After several reboots and testing I gave up and had a reason to go to bed.

Today after work I decided to look if I can find something that maybe got blown and I found 2 blown fuses near the PCI-e connectors. They looked normal like the third functioning one but there was no continuity. So I decided to just bridge both fuses with solder and some copper wire to test if it was the only thing that got damaged. I am now writing this post with my Vega of corse with stock BIOS, but have not tried it under load yet. I am planning to replace both fuses with equal ones, if I can find them for cheap.

Has anyone else experience with BIOS flashing the same type of card and tried to overclock it further? Do you know if other custom designs are fused too and if the fuses in my Vega are just there because the design can´t handle more power or if it just got fused by the expected power usage, but is capable of more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
Congrats on the repair! I also have Vega 56 pulse but didn't flash for the reasons you stated such as custom PCB.

Wondering if its really necessary because you can get great results with modified powerplay. The only advantage I can see from Vega64 BIOS is the increased HBM voltage.

My GPU hits 1600Mhz in most games and 1580Mhz in Superposition while drawing around 175 watts.

I was able to get it to around 1680Mhz @1100mv but the extra power draw wasn't worth it for me.
Seems to me the temperature particularly the hot spot temperature is the limiting factor for this card.

What are your clock targets? Good luck with your overclocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	252432  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	252434  

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
In case any of you guys feel confident enough, this is how I successfully flashed a Vega64 vBIOS compatible with our Pulse 56 nano PCB:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-a...l#post27787222

Cheers!

In space no one can hear you scream.
Ryzen 7 Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero X470
GPU
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB. Sapphire Pulse
RAM
G.Skill 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz @3200 TridentZ F4-3200C14D-32GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2 NVMe PCI 500GB.
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD SATA3 ACHI 1TB.
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 SATA3 7200RPM 5TB.
Power Supply
Corsair RM-850 850W Fully Modular
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Operating System
Windows 10 x64 Pro for Workstations
Monitor
LG UltraWide 34UC79G-B 34" Curved IPS 144Hz FreeSync
Keyboard
Logitech Gaming G513 Carbon
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mousepad
ASUS ROG Stealth
Audio
Realtek ALC1220 + Logitech Z625 2.1 Speaker Set
Other
Fan Cases: 5x Noctua NF-P14s Redux 140mm 1500 RPM PWM
Other
APC Back 1400VA
▲ hide details ▲

Tags
bios-flash , fuse , power limit , vega 56 pulse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in