How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016)

post #21 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Rep: 1555 (Unique: 1017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15434083 
Is this good for just updating drivers as well?

It is the main reason why i made the guide, for when someone wants to update drivers with a clean install.

Intel Core i9 9900K HT 5GHz
GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
AMD ASUS STRIX OC VEGA 64
G-Skill Trident 2x8GB DDR4 4000MHz
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold
Corsair 900D + Custom Loop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Tired

Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW;15434123 
It is the main reason why i made the guide, for when someone wants to update drivers with a clean install.

Ahh okie doke, thanks biggrin.gif.

post #23 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15434156 
Ahh okie doke, thanks biggrin.gif.

No problem matey!

GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1156 (Unique: 763)
Here's my instructions for updating drivers in any scenario except when you swap ATI/NV cards, or rollback to old drivers:

1) Run the latest driver package, selecting 'Clean Install' option,
2) Reboot when it's done, even though you may not be told to,
3) Game On!

I been doing this for like 10 years (which means literally hundreds and hundreds of times) every time I install newer drivers (and prior to the 'Clean Install' option in the Forceware, I simply uninstalled the current drivers first via CP and restarted before installing the newest drivers).

It has literally never failed to work 100% perfectly for me.

The only reason I'd ever resort to anything more complicated (such as the instructions in this thread) is if I was switching from ATI to nV, OR if I wanted to install an OLD driver package, one that I knew was fundamentally different like a 100-series driver vs. a 200-series driver.

And Bradley, it's the forum Editors that decide stickies, not the Moderators. I don't recall who's section this is, but I believe it's this gentleman.

Edit: I would also add that if you REALLY and truly want to get rid of your nV drivers completely from a particular install (call it install 1), you ALSO need to have a separate install (install 2) that you can boot into. From install 2, you then have to go into the system32 folder of install 1 and remove the all the files named nv* that have nVidia corporation as their author.

In my experience, these files, which are your ACTUAL in-use driver files, cannot be removed if you're actually logged into the same install, not even in safe mode, and not even by driver sweeper wink.gif

There's also I believe a drivercache folder somewhere in the Windows folder hierarchy that you'd have to remove the driver files from as well if you want to be 100% rid of them, but I believe if you do the uninstall through Forceware you remove the registry pointers to these files, so they should be basically rendered useless even w/o physically deleting them.

Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Nano-based) With Samsung OC'ing in Progress!
CPU
xeon X5675 6c/12t @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht) Gen 1 I7 Baby!!!
Motherboard
rampage iii extreme
GPU
Powercolor Red Dragon Vega 56 (Samsung) Stock Bios For Now!
RAM
3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 ([email protected])
Hard Drive
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb spinpoint (bu)
Optical Drive
plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive ever
Power Supply
abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w
Cooling
corsair h8o v2 aio
Case
silverstone rv-03
Operating System
W10 home
Monitor
LG Ultrawide QHD 21:9 Curved IPS Monitor 3440 x 1440 AMD FreeSync
Audio
XFi Titanium
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv;15439160 
Here's my instructions for updating drivers in any scenario except when you swap ATI/NV cards, or rollback to old drivers:

1) Run the latest driver package, selecting 'Clean Install' option,
2) Reboot when it's done, even though you may not be told to,
3) Game On!

I been doing this for like 10 years (which means literally hundreds and hundreds of times) every time I install newer drivers (and prior to the 'Clean Install' option in the Forceware, I simply uninstalled the current drivers first via CP and restarted before installing the newest drivers).

It has literally never failed to work 100% perfectly for me.

The only reason I'd ever resort to anything more complicated (such as the instructions in this thread) is if I was switching from ATI to nV, OR if I wanted to install an OLD driver package, one that I knew was fundamentally different like a 100-series driver vs. a 200-series driver.

And Bradley, it's the forum Editors that decide stickies, not the Moderators. I don't recall who's section this is, but I believe it's this gentleman.

Edit: I would also add that if you REALLY and truly want to get rid of your nV drivers completely from a particular install (call it install 1), you ALSO need to have a separate install (install 2) that you can boot into. From install 2, you then have to go into the system32 folder of install 1 and remove the all the files named nv* that have nVidia corporation as their author.

In my experience, these files, which are your ACTUAL in-use driver files, cannot be removed if you're actually logged into the same install, not even in safe mode, and not even by driver sweeper wink.gif

There's also I believe a drivercache folder somewhere in the Windows folder hierarchy that you'd have to remove the driver files from as well if you want to be 100% rid of them, but I believe if you do the uninstall through Forceware you remove the registry pointers to these files, so they should be basically rendered useless even w/o physically deleting them.

My method has been proven to fix some peoples issues so it's up to who ever wants to give my method a shot.

GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold

post #26 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Tired

Rep: 75 (Unique: 69)
Well I did it and well my computer hasn't exploded once, let alone BSOD or crash when I benched it for a few hours. Also overclocked the card a bit and it is still stable, so I have to say THANKS! biggrin.gif

post #27 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 118)
I actually used your AMD driver removal method when I was switching from NV to AMD since this guide wasn't out at the time. Really helpful as driver sweeper has screwed me over too many times to keep track of.
post #28 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM
SMK
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 47)
This is the way to go. Installing a newer driver over an older version on my machine, no matter what version, it breaks my sli, to the point i can't enable it and only one card is used, i don't know why but every time this happens.
When i use this method and clean install, everything works fine.

Using driver cleaners actually forced me to reinstall windows during the bf3 beta.

You can add me as a testimonial ... smile.gif

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven’s scenes; they will find the streets are guarded by the United States Marines.
post #29 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerOfLive;15441507 
Well I did it and well my computer hasn't exploded once, let alone BSOD or crash when I benched it for a few hours. Also overclocked the card a bit and it is still stable, so I have to say THANKS! biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv;15441572 
I actually used your AMD driver removal method when I was switching from NV to AMD since this guide wasn't out at the time. Really helpful as driver sweeper has screwed me over too many times to keep track of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK;15450567 
This is the way to go. Installing a newer driver over an older version on my machine, no matter what version, it breaks my sli, to the point i can't enable it and only one card is used, i don't know why but every time this happens.
When i use this method and clean install, everything works fine.

Using driver cleaners actually forced me to reinstall windows during the bf3 beta.

You can add me as a testimonial ... smile.gif

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

Thank you for your input and support.

GIGABYTE Z390 Ultra
Samsung EVO NVM.e 250GB
SeaSonic 1250W Gold

post #30 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Daydreamer Builder

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
Will be giving this method a go later on today when my cards get back from RMA!

Everyone with a passion for a hobby, ought to at least once in their lifetime, go all out on a dream machine - DaaQ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in