How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016) - Page 58 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers (New - 2016)

post #571 of 578 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
so you guys saying driver uninstall is not good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 578 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Amazing tutorial, thanks!
post #573 of 578 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 570 (Unique: 431)
So for Windows 10 Pro all I should have to do is disable Windows Update service, and follow the OP steps right? Is there any benefit to using Safe Mode for parts of this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 578 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

I will try this, maybe it will help me get closer to figuring out why my card died after installing updates from Nvidia. frown.gif
post #575 of 578 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 12:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

So, I just got done with this method. I have an alpha R1 with an external card. Have been having error code 14 ALL THE TIME. makes playing games last anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. The setup worked great for the first month or two before I installed new drivers. Constant problems since. So, I'm going to test this method and see how it works out but I had one curiosity. My onboard gpu downloaded its own drivers after I reconnected to the internet. I was hoping it wouldn't do that because I wanted to try and avoid any issues between the two cards. I can just go in and disable later, and since they are two different cards there may not be any issues like when I first did this. But what do you guys think?
post #576 of 578 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

I'm gonna go ahead and give praise right now. I have been gaming on doom with the 1070 overclocked for 2 hours without a single issue. It has been great. I think this solved my problem. I knew it had to be something in the computer after I RMA'd my first card!! Thank you very much!! Hopefully it keeps up! I know what I'll be doing ever single driver install!!!
post #577 of 578 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hey, thank you
Put the ATI Radeon 4850 back in the desktop & even tho I uninstalled drivers & Geforce Exp - there was still nVidia stuff floating around - in particular NVIDIA Display Container LS.
I had disabled service NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem but really wanted it gone. Thnx to your tut my PC is clean of nVidia now )

AMD FX-8350, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC 2-way SLI, ASUS M5A99FX Pro , G-Skill Sniper 1866MHz, Crucial MX100 SSD, NZXT Phantom 410

Last edited by ipstat; 04-28-2018 at 01:39 PM.
post #578 of 578 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Same problem which causes another problem!

Quote: Originally Posted by daguardian View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by -eizenn-

I was trying this method but i couldnt delete all the folders cause it said the files were being used by another program :/ and also when I uninstall the nvidia drivers and then reboot, at startup windows installs its own drivers since it detects there isnt any... and asks me to reboot, which i didnt do. Does this affect this method at all? i mean the windows drivers for the gpu...

To avoid Windows automatically installing drivers

Start>type gpedit.msc

Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > navigate to the bottom and double click "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings"

enable this option and then OK and close

Now windows will not automatically install drivers for new devices it finds.

I have the same problem (Windows 7 Ultimate 64).

In my case, after deleting everything nvidia related from control panel and reboot to continue with the manual cleaning, windows uses it's default driver (low resolution) as it should be, but, right away after the login it installs a previous nvidia driver without a way to stop it (not from windows update, I have it completely disabled, also unplugged internet, and also disabled in System properties/Hardware/Device installation settings), and I have no idea where it takes it from (some kind of cache?). So currently there's no way for me to use this guide.

Except if I'll try the quoted answer... but there's a logical problem.

If I'll go to Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions > navigate to the bottom and double click "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings" and enable it...

Will it prevent the older nvidia driver and ALSO the default/basic windows driver from getting installed?

I'm asking because logically that setting will prevent the default (low resolution/basic) driver from getting installed (which I need to have to be able to make the manual clean-up), so after reboot I won't be able to see anything, right? Or it will prevent only the old nvidia driver from getting installed?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in