Extract and Flash GTX 970 and 980 Firmware - Zoson's H2O and AIR Custom BIOS - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Extract and Flash GTX 970 and 980 Firmware - Zoson's H2O and AIR Custom BIOS

post #21 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Whelp, that was fun.

I used the KeplerBiosTweaker v1.27 to alter the Power Limits in my PNY GTX 970 original BIOS and tried flashing the new BIOS using the nvFlash tool and got the following:

Error Code: 8 BCRT_ERROR_CODE_BODY_FNV_SIGNATURE_MISMATCH

VBIOS Signature Check failed

Error Code: 7 BCRT_ERROR_CODE_BODY_FNV_HASH_MISMATCH

VBIOS image failed certification sanity check.

BCRT Error: Certificate verification failed

ERROR: ERROR:BIOS Cert Verification Error. Update aborted

Looks like we'll have to wait for new versions of BIOS editing tools that work for Maxwell GPUs before we can customize our BIOS?

biggrin.gif The certification was not only invalid, it was even so far as insane judging from this err msg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAlive View Post

Are we able to cross flash between vendors? I have the PNY GTX970, but would like the Palit Jetstream bios on my card. They seem to have the same pcb and even the same voltage controller. Here are both bios for the archive. Any help with a crossflash would be great!

When I try to flash I get PCI Subsystems ID Mismatch.

PNYandPalitJetstreamGTX970Bios.zip 269k .zip file

Yep, same here!

The Palit BIOS are very similar to my PNY BIOS but appear to have a higher Power Limit. Couldn't flash them though. Got this message:

WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (1569.13C2)
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (196E.1131)

ERROR: PCI subsystem ID mismatch
post #23 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5ODA

This article explains most of the cert errors you are getting. nVidia is now requiring the signing of vBIOS and Firmwares "... [to protect] fuses and ROM from being written by incorrect or malicious software. There's protections for registers dealing with thermal shutdown and the thermal sensors while with GM20x there's now physical memory access restrictions too." Of course this does not mean that is impossible to modify the files, but it means work to modify the files will take more time to figure out the UEFI signing procedure and ways to bypass them.

Faraday
(9 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1900X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA GTX970 SC ACX
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Enermax Liqitech TR4 360
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptos9099 View Post

This article explains most of the cert errors you are getting. nVidia is now requiring the signing of vBIOS and Firmwares "... [to protect] fuses and ROM from being written by incorrect or malicious software. There's protections for registers dealing with thermal shutdown and the thermal sensors while with GM20x there's now physical memory access restrictions too." Of course this does not mean that is impossible to modify the files, but it means work to modify the files will take more time to figure out the UEFI signing procedure and ways to bypass them.

sigh.......not what i wanted to hear.
post #25 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Don't fret, I am sure that people are working hard on figuring out the specifics on the hows and whys. We just have to wait and see if nVidia releases tools to help the open source community as they have a vested interest (the Linux community is a large portion of why Nvflash and KeplerBiosTweaker work in the first place.)

Faraday
(9 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1900X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA GTX970 SC ACX
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Enermax Liqitech TR4 360
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 12:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

I got my original PNY BIOS and the Palit BIOS open in HxD hex editor right now. The two are so very similar but there is a bunch of code near the end of the files that is probably some sort of digital signature.

I'm hoping to fool my PNY card into thinking that it's getting legit PNY bios but with different Power Limits.
I'm probably gonna end up bricking my card.

Update: Oh well, up past bedtime. Still got signature mismatch and hash mismatch error.
post #27 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Higher Power Limit = More voltage than what the stock BIOS offers?
post #28 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptos9099 View Post

Hmmm. I don't very much understand the article but it seems more directed toward Linux devs who are trying to write open-source OS drivers that can fully utilize the GTX 9XX cards. It may not have so much effect on BIOS altering and flashing. It's quite a ways over my head though.
post #29 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 02:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

After reading this post in another thread, I think I understand the problem we're facing when it comes to flashing custom BIOS.

We can fix the HASH but the new BIOS will still fail Mfgr signature check because the Manufacturers have a special tool that generates a signature based on the file, so if you change a single bit in a file, you will need a new signature since the signature isn't just a simple encrypted signature but in part a hash itself. If this is the case we're screwed unless somebody figures out exactly how the Signing Tool works and can basically build it into a Maxwell BIOS Editor. That sounds like an extremely tough assignment if you're not contemplating corporate espionage activities to "acquire" the actual nVidia supplied tool and reverse engineering it.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Just theorizing out loud.
post #30 of 6488 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 03:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwupow View Post

Hmmm. I don't very much understand the article but it seems more directed toward Linux devs who are trying to write open-source OS drivers that can fully utilize the GTX 9XX cards. It may not have so much effect on BIOS altering and flashing. It's quite a ways over my head though.

I'm kind of making a huge extrapolation on the relationship. The way the Linux Open Source Nouveau driver works is that it can do custom operations in the Firmware package (EFI) to communicate with the card's vBIOS (courtesy of nVidia working with the writers of Nouveau). Without the certain certs for this Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, the system will not recognise the device and boot without it or fail to boot. Intel, Mircosoft, AMD, and a handful other companies moved to EFI/UEFI from MBR/BIOS to "reduce theft and the propagation of malware." This being said, it slows down development of third party tools and software similar to what KeplerBiosTweaker does.

Backstory: In recent years, AMD stopped making their drivers and firmware packages Open Source to "prevent improper modifications to the vBIOS in accordance with the protocols in the UEFI." This angered most Linux users and nVidia came in and said "we will support the Open Source community as we have interests in Supercomputing (such as technologies in nVidia GRID) and a few other projects." In the past 3 years, nVidia has been making moves to lock down their firmwares and this seems to be the "next step" they were talking about over a year ago.

Faraday
(9 items)
CPU
Threadripper 1900X
Motherboard
Asus Prime X399-A
GPU
EVGA GTX970 SC ACX
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo
Power Supply
Corsair AX860
Cooling
Enermax Liqitech TR4 360
Case
Corsair Graphite 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in