[Official] NVFlash with certificate checks bypassed for GTX 950/960/970/980/980Ti/Titan X - Page 42 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] NVFlash with certificate checks bypassed for GTX 950/960/970/980/980Ti/Titan X

post #411 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
By back of the card do you mean the part facing me out of the motherboard, or the part thats in the board? I'll check if I can.. I don't remember reading about the Hydro Coppers have a dual BIOS switch. Unless its not a main advertised feature

EDIT: Apparently it has a single BIOS.

I don't get this. I have my spare GPU plugged into the final slot on my motherboard, and it did display an image via HDMI (albeit a blue screen recovery), but now I keep getting a Q-Code error 62 on my motherboard. sigh

I love electronics and high-end gaming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #412 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiJustin View Post

By back of the card do you mean the part facing me out of the motherboard, or the part thats in the board? I'll check if I can.. I don't remember reading about the Hydro Coppers have a dual BIOS switch. Unless its not a main advertised feature

I don't get this. I have my spare GPU plugged into the final slot on my motherboard, and it did display an image via HDMI (albeit a blue screen recovery), but now I keep getting a Q-Code error 62 on my motherboard. sigh

I have been where you are and the #1 thing here is to keep calm and relax. We will help you, just be patient and relax because I am sure you are going crazy. As was stated already, GPUs are hard to brick so they are most likely just fine and just need some extra attention. There is a VERY good chance that you can EASILY fix the GPUs, you just have to accept that it will be TEDIOUS because you have a water loop. Easy is the process to fix, tedious is the process to get to the point where you can re-flash and fix.

Dual-BIOS - This is good advice but will be a workaround. Let's not give up on the actual fix yet. I think most if not all GPUs with a second BIOS will work in the same way meaning only ONE of the TWO BIOS' can/will be ACTIVE at any one time. For example: My Gigabyte cards have a dual-BIOS and if I switch to the "other" BIOS I still can't re-flash/access the other BIOS that is not active. AFAIK (confirmed for Gigabyte GPUs) you can't have both BIOS' be active at the same time so I don't know if using a second BIOS to re-flash the bad one is even possible (I don't think so, definitely not on Gigabyte dual-BIOS anyway maybe EVGA is special).

What is needed:

(1) Another GPU. Sounds like you already have one. The trick is to get this 3rd GPU in your system to be the primary GPU. . Each motherboard will be different, you have to consult the manual to check into PCI-e configurations. For example, to use 3 GPUs in a system you may be REQUIRED to use specific PCI-e slots. If you have onboard video make sure you can have that enabled while the other 2 PCI-e slots are also enabled. Don't worry about PCI-e speed, even if it is going to run at 4x or something you don't care, this is just for recovery).

(2) The ability to boot into windows with 3 GPUs. If your 3rd GPU requires PCI-e and your power supply doesn't have enough, using splitters/adapters right now is a quick fix. I would NEVER recommend using splitters/adapter for normal use but this is a great thing to have for a recovery issue like this. When the cards are @ idle, they sip power so as long as you don't run any 3D graphics having an insufficient power supply wattage doesn't matter. Your monitor connection needs to be plugged into the 3rd GPU you added. Disconnect any monitor cables from the others. You may also want to remove the SLI bridge just for now (while off) to be sure they are operating as independent GPUs at a hardware level.

(3) You must have your original STOCK BIOS for each GPU (they may or may not be the same) and NVFLASH all ready to go. When you boot into windows on the 3rd GPU, don't even bother installing display drivers OR rebooting if it prompts you to (say no). All you need to do right now is open up device manager and verify that you can see BOTH your GPUs! If you CAN see both of them, you're going to be just fine smile.gif. Put the original BIOS files in the same folder as NVFLASH.

If you CANNOT see both of them then:
(A) Your BIOS settings need changing to "see" 3 GPUs
(B) You need to change the physical PCI-e slots (I did use the word TEDIOUS for a reason wink.gif )
(C) I guess I have to list the possibility of them both being dead/bricked also but there a VERY SMALL CHANCE that BOTH would be bricked or even one of them for that matter.

(4) Assuming you CAN see both your GPUs, open a command prompt as ADMINISTRATOR and go to your folder that has NVFLASH in it.

Type:
NVFLASH --list
You should see 3 GPUs listed in your system. 0 is the first one, 1 is the 2nd GPU, 2 is the 3rd GPU. I can't accurately predict which order they will be in but usually the primary is 0. You will be able to tell easily as it shows the description of the GPU.

Note which numbers your 2 GPUs are.

Re-flash the bad GPUs:

(1) Re-open command prompt as administrator (if you closed it) and go back to NVFLASH folder.

(2) NVFLASH -ix your.rom

where x = the number of your first GPU to flash. Most likely it will be 1, so NVFLASH -i1 your.rom

(3) Do NOT reboot after flashing, you can immediately flash the other one. This time it is the next GPU number you identified.

NVFLASH -ix your.rom

Again, mostly likely it will be GPU 2 so it would be NVFLASH -i2 your.rom

Now reboot, all fixed thumb.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #413 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Dual-BIOS - This is good advice but will be a workaround. Let's not give up on the actual fix yet. I think most if not all GPUs with a second BIOS will work in the same way meaning only ONE of the TWO BIOS' can/will be ACTIVE at any one time. For example: My Gigabyte cards have a dual-BIOS and if I switch to the "other" BIOS I still can't re-flash/access the other BIOS that is not active. AFAIK (confirmed for Gigabyte GPUs) you can't have both BIOS' be active at the same time so I don't know if using a second BIOS to re-flash the bad one is even possible (I don't think so, definitely not on Gigabyte dual-BIOS anyway maybe EVGA is special).

Lots of EVGAs have dual bios, and it would be a huge time saver. The vBIOS is read at boot. Booting with the working bios position allows you to get to windows, where you can flip the switch, and then write over the bad flash. I have done this successfully on several cards, including both of my 980 FTWs.

Too bad it sounds like the hydro copper doesn't have the switch. I find it hard to believe that EVGA would put them on lower tiered cards, but not the hydro copper...but that seems to be the case.

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #414 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Lots of EVGAs have dual bios, and it would be a huge time saver. The vBIOS is read at boot. Booting with the working bios position allows you to get to windows, where you can flip the switch, and then write over the bad flash. I have done this successfully on several cards, including both of my 980 FTWs.

Too bad it sounds like the hydro copper doesn't have the switch. I find it hard to believe that EVGA would put them on lower tiered cards, but not the hydro copper...but that seems to be the case.

Ahhh so EVGA does have a trick up it's sleeve... vBIOS, nice idea... wish Gigabyte had it redface.gif

Thank you for clarifying EVGA +1

post #415 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 111)
I remember reading somewhere about a few people have that black screen issue because of a display port they were using. Can't remember the fix but the problem sounds the same.
post #416 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 111)
Quote:

Code 62 is a memory training code. Motherboard / memory issue?
post #417 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for all the advice. I'm currently trying to get the computer to use the first GPU.
Here's what I did:

Had to move the top radiator so that I could shift both of my SLI 980's into slots 2 and 4. I then put my spare GPU (a really old crappy one that still works) in slot 1. However, I still get error b2 (or is it 62). I think I don't get this issue when only the spare GPU is in. Is my motherboard trying to run the GPUs. I don't understand.

Is it possible for me to boot into BIOS with just the 1 GPU, then plug into the other two while it's running? (probably nah).

At one point I did manage to boot into the spare GPU, while the second 980 Ti was plugged in. I could see the GPU with GPU-Z and Device Manager. I then did the NVFlash back to the original, I think, but it still wouldn't boot up properly because I couldn't get GPU 1 flashed.

EDIT: Alright, got to boot into monitor. thumb.gif
So this is good news = I can see both 980 Ti in both Device Manager and GPU-Z, although the first GPU's LED lights turned off for some reason.
Anyway, all I should do now is re-flash? I'll try now.. and pray.

Thanks again. I seriously was freaking out. I honestly was close to tears.

EDIT 2 : So I'm in Administrator CMD, and using NVFlash. For some reason GPU 0 says the subsystem ID doesn't match the BIOS image, even though it's clearly the same. Doesn't give me the option to override.

post #418 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

OMG THANK YOU ALL]

My 980 Ti rise from the ashes!

That was the worst experience in a long time for myself. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Everything seems good now, I think. I just don't understand what went wrong.. is it because I grabbed another BIOS (it was a recommended one for water cooling).

Definitely big thanks to you Laithan. I was panicking and feeling sick, and you definitely eased my mind.
I need some cool down time. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Sigh.. does this mean I can't do it properly? I clearly BIOS'd it back to normal. I just wanted to basically get a better overclock.
My temperatures are really low, especially at full load. Like 45c. Thats why I wanted to go further.

post #419 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Quote:

OMG THANK YOU ALL]

Everything seems good now, I think. I just don't understand what went wrong.. is it because I grabbed another BIOS (it was a recommended one for water cooling).

Definitely big thanks to you Laithan. I was panicking and feeling sick, and you definitely eased my mind.

Sigh.. does this mean I can't do it properly? I clearly BIOS'd it back to normal. I just wanted to basically get a better overclock.
My temperatures are really low, especially at full load. Like 45c. Thats why I wanted to go further.

I am always hesitant to flash random bioses from the internet. The best bet is to take your current ROM, edit it with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker, and flash it yourself. You never know if there was a silent hardware revision, or what the individual did with the bios. So either edit it yourself, or ask Mr_Dark to edit yours for you. As you have found out, a bad flash can be frustrating, and sometimes fatal to the card...the more you read, the better prepaired you will be. Always flash the second card first, so you can boot into windows and check functionality with the new bios.

Glad you got it back! Best of luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
post #420 of 960 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

OMG THANK YOU ALL]

Happy I could help! Now you're a GPU recovery expert. tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in