GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 121 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #1201 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkiefer View Post

You really have nothing to worry about with bios, while you can go slightly higher with moding, I would more worry about heat and power load .
As long as you can keep it cool you shouldn't run into any issues .

The main question you should test after you try max is do you rally need to pump all those volts, maybe you can get as good results with less, you just have to test your chip to see were it likes performance vers voltage .

Find the sweet point smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post

Anyone find out the max voltage a 980ti g1 can go with a multimeter?

I am toying with the idea of posting 3 BIOS' for the 980Ti. One for 1.24v, one for 1.26v and finally one for 1.28v. We can control max voltage under load in the BIOS but the voltage slider in O/C app isn't functional so we can go this route to help everyone find the MAX overclock with the LEAST voltage. This will be different for every GPU.

But let's also keep in mind that the difference here is minimal. 1.28 ~ 1.24 is a whole .040 mV difference..

I don't feel that anyone is sending excessive voltage here but you are absolutely right that there's NO NEED to send more voltage than what is necessary for your GPU. 1.281v is the max we've tried so far and we haven't even proved we're getting that much. We know software can read 1.275v but we are seeing 1.274v max.. is this just a glitch or are we being capped at 1.274v for real? Once I get my cards I will be beating the crap out of them to help answer the question through results.

I DO also have a Multi-Meter and if I can have some help as to where I can take a reading I can do that also.

PS. If you haven't visited in a while, take a look at THIS POST (Click to show) Looking for feedback (not compliments) if anyone has ideas to make it better, topics to include, elaborate on, etc.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 62)
This has worked for me in past to see what steps voltage is working . As my last card MSI 660ti PE/OC had non readable voltage controller .

Try this , start Heven , hit spacebar (this freezes on that scene ), now with TDP/power% in OSD, check stock voltage (get avg value, it will be pretty stable) .
Now open AB and bump voltage up each step and get reading of power% , if you see even scaling going up then voltage is scaling too.
But if you see no change, then most likely voltage is not scaling up or stopping at a point .

This of course is not going to tell you what voltage, but merely if it has raised and about proportion it raised .
That said, even what you see in GPU-Z is not real voltage, it just a target voltage from driver (not a measured value).

post #1203 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

This has worked for me in past to see what steps voltage is working . As my last card MSI 660ti PE/OC had non readable voltage controller .

Try this , start Heven , hit spacebar (this freezes on that scene ), now with TDP/power% in OSD, check stock voltage (get avg value, it will be pretty stable) .
Now open AB and bump voltage up each step and get reading of power% , if you see even scaling going up then voltage is scaling too.
But if you see no change, then most likely voltage is not scaling up or stopping at a point .

This of course is not going to tell you what voltage, but merely if it has raised and about proportion it raised .
That said, even what you see in GPU-Z is not real voltage, it just a target voltage from driver (not a measured value).

Yup, makes perfect sense, thanks for sharing that. We just have one issue right now, not clear if we'll be able to get past this or not yet. Here is a breakdown of the "Voltage slider" capabilities in O/C programs (MSI AB/Precision X etc).

As far as MOD BIOS' in this thread are concerned:

* GTX 970 MU BIOS = Allows adjustable voltage using overclock program

* GTX 980 MU BIOS = Allows adjustable voltage using overclock program

* GTX 980Ti V2BETA (unlocked voltage controls) BIOS = FIXED Voltage under load, no slider adjustments possible.
This is the same as voltage slider being maxxed out all the time.

This was the reason I was thinking of maybe posting 3 versions of the BIOS with the different voltage points because we can't really do any 980Ti testing with the voltage slider. mad.gif

The more important thing is that we got access to control the voltages even if we have to flash again to adjust drunken.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 62)
Oh, I missed that on 980ti, I thought now with new bios voltage data found that it works, was adjustable with OC app .

post #1205 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

Oh, I missed that on 980ti, I thought now with new bios voltage data found that it works, was adjustable with OC app .

I kept forgetting at first a bunch of times too telling people to max out voltage sliders HAHA! thumb.gif

EDIT:
So far on 980Ti we have to set the 2nd voltage slider MIN value to be identical to the MAX value to avoid throttling. Normally the throttling control would have been seen with the 3rd slider not the 2nd one. That's one of the behavior differences with this GM200 BIOS

This post has details (Click to show)

post #1206 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 01:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnite View Post

There go my plans of SLI lol. I thought my 850 would be cutting it close, guess it's just not gonna work

I'm now thinkg whether a good 1200W PSU would be enough for a 980Ti =/

post #1207 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 03:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
nvm
post #1208 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Hi,

I've got another card coming and system runs pretty lean other then a OC'd 3570K so hoping my Corsair HX850 will cut it.

Only planning a slight OC on each card as don't need to go crazy with sli but might pump up voltage and OC for some benching so I'll report back if I have issues.

According to link below I should be OK.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-12-gb-sli/19/
post #1209 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 10:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dual109 View Post

Hi,

I've got another card coming and system runs pretty lean other then a OC'd 3570K so hoping my Corsair HX850 will cut it.

Only planning a slight OC on each card as don't need to go crazy with sli but might pump up voltage and OC for some benching so I'll report back if I have issues.

According to link below I should be OK.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-12-gb-sli/19/

Let me know how it goes. I am also running a 3570K with an OC and a Corsair 850. I really started getting concerned about my SLi possibilities when I saw GPU-Z reporting power throttling with a custom BIOS set to 430W TDP limit
post #1210 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 10:52 PM
InstantAli3n

Rep: 150 (Unique: 110)
All this power supply talk, and here I am using a Seasonic Platinum 1000w that everybody on the face of the earth told me was overkill (Highly overvolted fx-6350+770). But no matter what I do I will never have to get a new PSU again! This one has a 7 year warranty too.

I could get two 980 Ti's and a 5820k be totally FINE.

So next time anyone thinks some shabby multi rail 850w bronze is going to cut it, think again. As Laithan said you don't want to go over 80% load for efficiency.

Also, Platinum will pay it self off in electricity savings in 3-5 years vs bronze.

Just a friendly "I told you so". tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in