GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 123 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #1221 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dual109 View Post

Hi,

I've got another card coming and system runs pretty lean other then a OC'd 3570K so hoping my Corsair HX850 will cut it.

Only planning a slight OC on each card as don't need to go crazy with sli but might pump up voltage and OC for some benching so I'll report back if I have issues.

According to link below I should be OK.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-12-gb-sli/19/

Thanks for posting the link and since you aren't looking to push things too much you can get a basic idea. Be careful about those posted values though, they are not testing the same way we do here, actually not even close.

Just to keep apples/apples for those following the bouncing dot, I took a look at the link and just want to clarify that these results are "typical/average" and even "real world" results but not MAX Power draw potential. I don't think they are even overclocking. The max value that they record is a max value under gaming and synthetic tests, that typically don't max out your power draw. In addition the values are recorded using a STOCK BIOS which in terms of power makes a considerable difference.

It says "Furmark" test but how were they testing??

For example, they have a G1 980 only showing 196Watt MAX and we know that with a MOD BIOS, overclocking both GPU and MEMORY, and an extreme test with the right settings, we can almost DOUBLE that max value.

I think that we would need to measure power draw from a range of games, tests, benchmarks, applications and mining to know EXACTLY what "Real world" power draw scenarios could possibly be, and that's too much time, work and money to acquire all that software and perform the testing.

To be clear, I know some of you are concerned about your power supply not being sufficient, AND YOU SHOULD BE, however please keep in mind that there are 2 very popular ways to look at a power supply requirement:

(1) How much do I really NEED "on average/typical/real word"
(2) How much do I really NEED "at MAX possible power draw"

Running your PS at 80% efficiency under max load is different from running 80% efficiency under "typical/average" load.

I always go overkill like cookieboyeli and many others so I'm more of an OPTION #2 kind of guy. Many other are OPTION #1 kind of people and that's perfectly fine.

PRO/CON to OPTION #1 - Save money up front, MAYBE you'll be just fine with NO issues but won't know 100%, there's always a shadow of doubt.. Future upgrades are uncertain.

PRO/CON to OPTION #2 - Spend more money up front, peace of mind that your PS is MORE THAN ENOUGH in all cases, Future upgrades are essentially covered.

I think we should run some additional tests to measure power draw with this MOD BIOS during the same "on average/typical/real word" and get some of those values recorded as well. More to come smile.gif

Any values we are going to find on a "reviewer website" is going to be STOCK BIOS values (and probably not even overclocked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post

I wish EK would bring out the full water block for the 980Ti G1.

Does anyone know when it's likely to be released?

I'm happy running my card with mild OC (or even stock!) for time being and using a custom curve to keep the noise down.

But still can't beat being under water (especially when the rest of my system is!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obyboby View Post

Oh, so they're not available yet? Cool, got some more time to save money for my loop then xD

I asked in the EK thread and the birdie there said at LEAST 1 month to wait..

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1222 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
If I have some free time I might be able to dig out my multimeter and do some testing, I'm very curious as well.
post #1223 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Check this out:

Keep in mind, ALL of these videos are using stock BIOS and not overclocking GPU or using MOD BIOS but I respect these guys (and in the process found a LOT of BAD power supply info from others).

jerry.gifGet some popcorn! You have homework to do! (Click to show)

This is what I use biggrin.gif1500i (Click to show)
To be clear I am not getting any kickbacks I could care less if you buy Corsair or not TBH but this is what I have.
thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1224 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM
InstantAli3n

Rep: 150 (Unique: 110)
https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/1200_100#post_24163528
Laithan, thank you so much for taking the time to write that! I had been somewhat frustrated seeing so many take the "wrong option" cutting corners with PSU's and using lower voltage for power savings at the expense of lower clocks and temps, but now I see it is really a difference of opinion, not objective wrongness. biggrin.gif
My overclocking soul can rest in peace for a while longer. tongue.gif

Filthy Casuals
post #1225 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 3)
Glad I got the OCZ ZX 1250W a while back. I been using this thing for 5 years now. Also when you have a higher power PSU it will last longer since its components will not be used on its limits.

Gaming Rig
(12 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9 9900K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI HERO WiFi
GPU
Asus GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC
RAM
4x8GB G.Skills Ripjaws V 3200mhz
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1200W P2
Cooling
Corsair H110i GTX
Case
HAF X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64
Monitor
DELL U2711
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Rapidfire - MX speed
Mouse
Logitech G603
Audio
Fiio K3
▲ hide details ▲
post #1226 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

New bios here for 980ti G1, fixes fan problem.

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5472#bios
post #1227 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual109 View Post

New bios here for 980ti G1, fixes fan problem.

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5472#bios

Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like a BETA BIOS though, never seen them post a BETA BIOS there before.

post #1228 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Hi Laithan, I'm getting a G1 980Ti soon should I flash the beta v2 bios or wait for an upcoming version?
post #1229 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by necriss View Post

Hi Laithan, I'm getting a G1 980Ti soon should I flash the beta v2 bios or wait for an upcoming version?

It's worth a try. I'd suggest finding your max OC on stock first to see what it's capable of. Then you can determine how much his bios improves your performance
post #1230 of 7864 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by necriss View Post

As of this time we have identified that V2BETA can result in PWR perfcaps in certain tests so we are scheduled to increase the power a bit for V3BETA. Outside of that change we are still waiting for some additional feedback on the custom fan settings and if anyone else has any additional general feedback. V2BETA just needs some final tweaks but overall seems quite stable so no reason to wait if you want to overclock now. My cards should be in Thursday according to the UPS man so I will be installing them probably this weekend. I will of course be testing with the STOCK BIOS as well and then flash V2BETA right after that to "see things for myself" tongue.gif

Bottom line is that if you are getting your card in the next day or so, you can flash V2BETA and then maybe a week or so later I should be posting V3BETA with just a slight power increase at this point.
thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in