GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 151 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #1501 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

We're all happy to help here wink.gif

It sounds like you are savy, but just a heads up Gigabyte makes it a bit tricky, they have a DUAL BIOS. Plus I typically speak to the audience so I will elaborate a little bit. If you are not already, please become familiar with the DD and DP BIOS', it is critical. Some info here https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/670#post_24066794. orientation (Click to show)
Since the orientation is very confusing when talking about the DVI ports, which way is the card being held, are you looking straight at the card or over the case. I like to put it this way to simplify:

WHEN the card is INSTALLED in your computer (assuming ATX or e-ATX case) then there will always be ONE DVI port that is closest to the MOTHERBOARD. That is the DVI-I port and it uses the D_P BIOS. The same BIOS that HDMI and a single display port cable would also use.

--

Once you get your card you need to extract the current BIOS and verify if it is a DD or a DP and what version. You don't need to flash both BIOS', just the one you use (unless you actually use both).

You will need to open your BIOS you previously extracted with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker 1.36 and identify what version it is.

You can see that my original BIOS was a DP BIOS (vice a DD BIOS) and it was the F1 version.

Then you go to this website. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5208#bios

Using the BIOS above as an example, I know it is an WF3OC DP/F1 BIOS. Since the plan is to convert it to a G1 gaming card and flash a G1 GAMING BIOS instead, we need to find the G1 BIOS that is of the same revision of the PCB and same memory. We can see that there is an F3 version posted on the website. That's the one. smile.gif They are both for SAMSUNG memory and both for revision 1.0 PCB. F1 and F3 are compatible in this example. thumb.gif

Download the latest version of the G1 Gaming BIOS that is compatible with your card. Then use Maxwell BIOS Tweaker, open the Max Unleashed BIOS and the latest G1 BIOS for your card and COPY ALL the BIOS settings over to your BIOS.
Lucky ones (Click to show)
The BIOS I post is a DP/F3 BIOS. If you are lucky enough to get a card with a F1-F3 BIOS with Samsung memory, you can directly flash the BIOS I posted.

Joe Dirt's NVFLASH will allow you to flash the G1 Gaming BIOS.

drum.gif

Hi Laithan

Again wish to express my thx to you helping peeps and myself with there modding great work :=)

anyhow up date from me as i have been busy working away so hence the delay ....i managed to get one of them gigiabyte non g1 980 but was DOA so was sent back then non in stock frown.gif .....anyway managed to source a cheap msi 980 4 g and i mean cheap ...been testing and i am able to get 1492 core and 8050 mem after that results diminish and this is with stock voltage with 65% ASIC not sure that means anything really ...

So my question is do you know of a thread re msi 980 4g good bios mod ect....

Thanks again smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Wow! Thanks for the feedback. Great results!
For the curious, what is your ASIC?

ASIC is 77.6. I was going to load up your V4 beta for a spin but it's for DP and I need the DD version.
post #1503 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 13)
Alright so here's what has just happened to me during a normal GTA V session.
I was playing the mission Fresh meat, and as soon as I reached the place where the mission was set, my FPS dropped from 60+ to 10-20!! I nearly had a heart attack!!!!!
I immediately looked up at the OSD and it looked like the GPU utilization dropped near to zero!!!
The CPU was at full frequency and high load so I kind of exclude it. There's something wrong with the GPU!!!!

The're this area on the left of the graphs where GPU Load and Memory controller load dropped to 10% - 0% something like that.
Temps were normal, 60-65 degrees (air cooler, custom fan curve).

AB settings were 1524/8200 @ 1.187v!
I was testing for stability because +13 MHz on the core clock crashed afer 30 mins of gaming on GTA. And this happens! OMG I'm so scared now! Please, I don't want to have to RMA my card frown.gif

I was thinking...could it have been the memory clock way too high? I wasn't getting any artifacts though...
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of terriried now...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:39 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 211 (Unique: 133)
do you normally have the VRel perfcap when under load?

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #1505 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

do you normally have the VRel perfcap when under load?

i get vrel at stock thought this was normal ?
post #1506 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 PM
InstantAli3n

Rep: 150 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obyboby View Post

I was playing the mission Fresh meat, and as soon as I reached the place where the mission was set, my FPS dropped from 60+ to 10-20!! I nearly had a heart attack!!!!!
I immediately looked up at the OSD and it looked like the GPU utilization dropped near to zero!!!
The CPU was at full frequency and high load so I kind of exclude it. There's something wrong with the GPU!!!!

The're this area on the left of the graphs where GPU Load and Memory controller load dropped to 10% - 0% something like that.

I was testing for stability because +13 MHz on the core clock crashed afer 30 mins of gaming on GTA. And this happens! OMG I'm so scared now! Please, I don't want to have to RMA my card frown.gif

I was thinking...could it have been the memory clock way too high? I wasn't getting any artifacts though...
Lol relax, the software (or firmware in this case) can't hurt the hardware. You should know that. It's probably an issue with the really low voltage you've got there or even a power supply issue as it's Vrel.
Nobody here should be getting VRel with the mod bios, and I don't think even with stock. It means "Voltage Reliability" after all.

Does everyone in this thread have crappy 650/750w PSU's?
post #1507 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote:

OC pooped on you. And it crashed to 2d clocks. A reset will restore it back to normal. You're memory and core seem a bit high. Either you got a card in the upper tiers or you're pushing it way too hard.

post #1508 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM
InstantAli3n

Rep: 150 (Unique: 110)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vohiep84 View Post

Quote:

OC pooped on you. And it crashed to 2d clocks. A reset will restore it back to normal. You're memory and core seem a bit high. Either you got a card in the upper tiers or you're pushing it way too hard.
No I don't think so, he's good for memory and LOW for the core, maybe not by much with that voltage though. I don't think there's anyone who gets below 1400MHz in this entire thread, even 1455 actually.

I think Vrel specifically means that at the current GPU core voltage, the card can't boost higher otherwise it will lose stability. This CAN be caused by the PSU, but I'm inclined to say it's the ultra low voltage in the bios causing that here. People need to get over their voltage and heat fears and just use the highest amount of voltage that gives them the highest clocks. Why would you get the best overclocking 980 Ti and set voltage to >1.2v??? If you don't want to push it just get some underpowered reference card for $150 less. /rant
post #1509 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post

Hi Laithan

Again wish to express my thx to you helping peeps and myself with there modding great work :=)

anyhow up date from me as i have been busy working away so hence the delay ....i managed to get one of them gigiabyte non g1 980 but was DOA so was sent back then non in stock frown.gif .....anyway managed to source a cheap msi 980 4 g and i mean cheap ...been testing and i am able to get 1492 core and 8050 mem after that results diminish and this is with stock voltage with 65% ASIC not sure that means anything really ...

So my question is do you know of a thread re msi 980 4g good bios mod ect....

Thanks again smile.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif You are all too kind to me. My other virtual family wink.gif

The ASIC %, well it is just a general reference Unless.. (Click to show)
(EDIT: Unless you are EVGA, then it is a reason to price gouge!)
but nothing definitive TBH. Some with low ASIC's can overclock pretty high.
(sorry couldn't resist the edit) Ben Dova! (Click to show)

The MUMOD settings will actually work with that MSI card also. You'd have to copy all the settings over to YOUR BIOS but those cards are also a custom PCB, have (2) 8-pin PCI-e and isn't voltage capped. Please report the results and PM me if you need any help wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post

ASIC is 77.6. I was going to load up your V4 beta for a spin but it's for DP and I need the DD version.

I will/do post DD versions of the betas now but for any "in between testing" I don't, only because I personally with DP and I'm usually making changes all the time and re-flashing.

You don't have to wait for me though, if you wanted to test it you can just grab the DD BIOS from the OP, compare the two side by side and make the changes manually. wink.gif

This is looking very much like it will be the actual V4BETA though...

Quote:

It's not a big deal. I suspect your low voltage test was insufficient voltage to maintain stability at that speed. That's lower than I've ever tested and I am not surprised at all that you are getting VREL perfcaps and odd results TBH.

I wouldn't go less than 1.2xxv TBH but everything is worth a test so thanks for sharing the results.

This means for a 980Ti we've seen (this is a limit through testing, more or less voltage IS possible):

MINIMUM VOLTAGE = 1.200v/1.206v (less appears to be insufficient voltage)
MAXIMUM VOLTAGE = 1.231v/1.237v (more introduces a major throttling bug that is hard to catch because it occurs in about 1/8th of a second, but drops clocks to ~700Mhz under load! Could be clock blocking)

One thing for sure is that we know GM200 cannot handle voltage like GM204 could at least with what we know now anyway. GM200 shows that MORE VOLTAGE = LESS DIFFERENCE with regard to overclocking and higher performance and in most cases NO DIFFERENCE (apparently this does change at 20C and colder).

The good news is that despite the lack of voltage variance under max loads, it seems just about everyone's GPU overclocks the same regardless of the voltage. Meaning the overclocking headroom doesn't appear to scale AT ALL when voltage is modified. This unfortunately means things are that much more "SILICON LOTTERY". This also could just be a result of the engineering changes...

In fact, the latest testing seems to indicate that longer term stability can be obtained with even LESS VOLTAGE than what Gigabyte uses in it's STOCK BIOS wink.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #1510 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
so, let me get this straight; what you're saying is, the lower the voltage, the better the OC(within those limits you gave)?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in