GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 152 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #1511 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
^That is my experience with this card so far. Raising the voltage does not enable drastically higher OCs. Those seem to be bound by your card asic, 1550+ needs ~80%+ asic from what other members have reported.

My 71% asic already does 1514mhz stable on stock, after flashing with v3 beta I can't get above 1532mhz despite voltage being higher, it also added another 10 deg+ to the load temperature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1512 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
ASIC 70,4%
V3 : OC GAMES [email protected] 475 MEMORY ( SOME OLD GAMES) - OC GAMES [email protected] 575 MEMORY (GTA5, WITCHER 3) VERY STABLE;
V4 EARLY : OC IS NOT STABLE AT THE SAME LEVEL ESPECIALLY FOR MEMORY. EVEN LOWERED A BIT (20-30 MHZ) IS UNSTABLE, RETURNED TO V3.

I FOUND YOUR FAN SETTING VERY GOOD FOR BENCHMARKS BUT FOR GAMES I PREFER AFTERBURNER DEFAULT FAN SETTING (THE CURVE THAT IS SET AUTOMATICALLY TO ADJUST, WITH NO CHANGES) BECAUSE IN GAMES FAN USAGE DROPS FROM 78-80% TO 70-72% (LESS NOISE) WITH A LITTLE TEMPERATURE INCREASE (1-2 C°) .

MY TESTING SEEMS TO AGREE WITH YOUR CONSIDERATION OF “MINIMUM VOLTAGE = 1.200v/1.206v (less appears to be insufficient voltage)”

I really appreciate your hard work, thanks a lot.
Sergio
post #1513 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Once again, thank you Laithan. I'm going to settle on V3 with 1519 / 4005 mem. Very stable and I'm pleased with the result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1514 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshuru View Post

so, let me get this straight; what you're saying is, the lower the voltage, the better the OC(within those limits you gave)?

Sort of, that's just what we've seen with some recent testing results. I don't think I'm ready to carve that into stone yet. We have a new RELEASE F4 BIOS now that I plan to test with. Who knows, maybe that ~700Mhz throttling bug is fixed and we can push more voltage again thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by oi37203 View Post

ASIC 70,4%
V3 : OC GAMES [email protected] 475 MEMORY ( SOME OLD GAMES) - OC GAMES [email protected] 575 MEMORY (GTA5, WITCHER 3) VERY STABLE;
V4 EARLY : OC IS NOT STABLE AT THE SAME LEVEL ESPECIALLY FOR MEMORY. EVEN LOWERED A BIT (20-30 MHZ) IS UNSTABLE, RETURNED TO V3.

I FOUND YOUR FAN SETTING VERY GOOD FOR BENCHMARKS BUT FOR GAMES I PREFER AFTERBURNER DEFAULT FAN SETTING (THE CURVE THAT IS SET AUTOMATICALLY TO ADJUST, WITH NO CHANGES) BECAUSE IN GAMES FAN USAGE DROPS FROM 78-80% TO 70-72% (LESS NOISE) WITH A LITTLE TEMPERATURE INCREASE (1-2 C°) .

MY TESTING SEEMS TO AGREE WITH YOUR CONSIDERATION OF “MINIMUM VOLTAGE = 1.200v/1.206v (less appears to be insufficient voltage)”

I really appreciate your hard work, thanks a lot.
Sergio

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not clear on how we could have impacted memory overclocking since we don't have access to memory tweaks. Interesting why that happened. And as soon as you went back to V3 you could O/C memory again?

I am asking for the F4 BIOS to be unlocked so we can test with that one. Perhaps some strange things we've identified have been resolved. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by necriss View Post

Once again, thank you Laithan. I'm going to settle on V3 with 1519 / 4005 mem. Very stable and I'm pleased with the result.

You are quite welcome although I think the credit goes to all of us equally tongue.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #1515 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
"I'm not clear on how we could have impacted memory overclocking since we don't have access to memory tweaks. Interesting why that happened. And as soon as you went back to V3 you could O/C memory again? I am asking for the F4 BIOS to be unlocked so we can test with that one. Perhaps some strange things we've identified have been resolved. wink.gif"

YES, I overclocked memory as usual when I went back to V3. I play with 4k native resolution.
I think that I had to lower memory (and MHZ) with V4 early release because the voltage was not enough for my card = instability issue.
To be more precise I tried some benchs with V4 early release and the results was quite similar to V3. In games not.

I think that V4 def. could lower voltage but not below 1,20-1,21 and always speaking for my card there is no need to high voltages as V2.
Maybe sweet spot could be 1,218.

Sergio
post #1516 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Is there any reason why the minimum fanspeed is set to 40%? I'd like my fan to turn off when my GPU is idle.

post #1517 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshuru View Post

Is there any reason why the minimum fanspeed is set to 40%? I'd like my fan to turn off when my GPU is idle.

You have to ask Heisenberg (Click to show)

LOL JK.

Fanless operation is DISABLED in this custom BIOS for 980Ti.

IMHO - It is because we are finding that BIG MAXWELL can get pretty hot, pretty fast.. If you are sitting there @ idle, after a certain amount of time (based on ambient temps and GPU workload) the fans ARE going to turn on ANYWAY (eventually). This is not a "Home theater PC" where silent operation is a primary concern. This is a PERFORMANCE GPU begging to be overclocked to make its Titan-X big brother look bad (that's what brothers do to each other right lol).

With a fan going on and off, I would suspect it might distract us more than a variable speed fan would (that gradually increases and decreases).

Fanless operation is 2015's latest GIMMICK.. but I respect those who think it is great. Silent is for watercoolers (hurry up EK!!)

IMO I prefer having a PROACTIVE fan curve than a REACTIVE fan curve. The GPU cooler with a fanless mode is going to make the ENTIRE COOLER 55C which is the STOCK temps when the fans turn on (the heat will dissiptate along the fins and heat pipes) before it starts to cool all the components. That is 131F!

Can the GPU and the cooler handle it, probably can.. but you don't hardly hear the fans at 35%-40% anyway. 35% is the STOCK BIOS speed when the fans do come on (way too low IMO and reactive cooling). 40% is the default fan speed of this custom BIOS, both speeds are very quiet.

The default FAN SETTINGS also don't work very well and can get quite loud, which is all because of the silent mode (effectively removes a BIOS fan point from 3 to 2). If you've been around a little bit there is a post when I first got my 980Ti where I tried the stock "AUTO" fan settings and they performed horribly. I customized the fan settings to perform VERY NEAR a custom fan curve (Proactive and aggressive, yet minimizing noise) without using CPU cycles of a custom fan curve. The expense was the loss of the fanless mode operation (which seems pointless to me anyway).

I also like the idea that anyone using this BIOS, if they do NOTHING and just leave the fan on AUTO, it will keep the GPU nicely cooled.

If folks want the fanless mode back let me know and we'll see if we have enough interest or you can just modify the fan profile back to stock on your own if preferred.

Above all else, Heisenberg said so wink.gif

post #1518 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I prefer fanless mode! thx! smile.gif
post #1519 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 1)
The new bios I think went too aggressively quiet. They limited the fans max rpm to like 3500-3600 or close to that. Even at 100 percent it still had issues keeping my 980ti below 70C. Also, the soft cap at 65C is still there unfortunately. I hope to see a bios on the new F4 bios Gigabyte just released.
post #1520 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post

The new bios I think went too aggressively quiet. They limited the fans max rpm to like 3500-3600 or close to that. Even at 100 percent it still had issues keeping my 980ti below 70C. Also, the soft cap at 65C is still there unfortunately. I hope to see a bios on the new F4 bios Gigabyte just released.

OMG yes you are right, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

They changed it so that fans will stay off all the way until 59C now (formerly 55C). 138F until the fans come on... MAX RPM like you said is now 3600 (formerly 4200).

Should we change this thread to "Cooking with Ti"
tongue.gif

Yes I hope to be testing with F4 soon, but the first thing to go will be these fan settings LMAO! thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in