GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 153 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #1521 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

OMG yes you are right, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

They changed it so that fans will stay off all the way until 59C now (formerly 55C). 138F until the fans come on... MAX RPM like you said is now 3600 (formerly 4200).

Should we change this thread to "Cooking with Ti"
tongue.gif

Yes I hope to be testing with F4 soon, but the first thing to go will be these fan settings LMAO! thumb.gif

ROFL! Cooking with Ti! I love it. I'm currently taking your V4 beta and modifying the fan and voltage tables of the F4 bios. I am also bumping my voltage to 1.225. 1.212 saw some artifacting on my card around 1565. 1574 would eventually see a TDR. I am getting the correct bios this time wink.gif.

I really wish the developer of maxwell tweaker would add a freaking copy paste or better yet an import/export function. I am so tired of changing this stuff lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1522 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 211 (Unique: 133)
Is the cooling system on the 980ti's any better at cooling the cards than the 970 cooler is? I can't keep my 970's under 80c for very long while gaming unless I open up my case and put a real fan next to it blowing like a mad man. And this only allows me to stay in the mid/low 70's.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #1523 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
On my G1 980 Ti, after being unstable at 1500MHZ with the V3 Beta bios, I am now running the V4 Beta Bios, I am completely stable at 1500MHZ and 8000MHZ memory after numerous lengthy tests, the set voltage on the Bios is perfect for my card it seems at 1.218v and throwing no Perf caps at all.

I know this isn't the best result with a 77% ASIC, although I am happy with the round figures lol.

In regards to fan speeds, the fan speed settings in the V3 Beta were way too loud for me, so with the V4 Beta, I changed all the settings back to the original Gigabyte which allow me to game with over 100% TDP at 70-72 degrees.

Could anyone post a quick rundown on how the settings work in regards to Bios fan speeds etc and how to modify or direct me to a link so I can tweak myself?

I too, would like a slightly more proactive fan curve than stock, that's a little less aggressive then the V3 Bios.

Also, does anyone know of a way to control the LED colors on the card without using Oc Guru 2?? or even how to get Oc Guru 2 into windows startup as a last resort, its listed in startup after setting to administrator etc in the startup folder but still doesn't work and my Led's that I want red keep turning off or back to white.

Anyone upgraded to Win 10 yet and any reliability problems with the card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1524 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I'm getting really bored waiting for a waterblock for this card.

Really don't like the air cooler, it's too loud for me.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5GHZ / EK-Supremacy EVO - Full Nickel
MOBO/PSU: X99 SOC Champion / EVGA SuperNova P2 1200W '80 Plus Platinum'
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z - F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ 14-14-14-34 1T
GPU: Nvidia Pascal Titan X @2.1Ghz / AC Kryographics Nickel + Active Backplate
STORAGE OS: Intel 750NVMe 400GB (WIN10Pro)
CASE/COOLING: Enthoo Primo / Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 420 + 480 Monsta
post #1525 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

Is the cooling system on the 980ti's any better at cooling the cards than the 970 cooler is? I can't keep my 970's under 80c for very long while gaming unless I open up my case and put a real fan next to it blowing like a mad man. And this only allows me to stay in the mid/low 70's.

In your instance, probably not.

The G1 coolers are good at what they do however they are ignorant to ANYTHING ELSE in your case.

The reason why is that they suck up air with 3 fans, blow it across the cooler and then the air exits right back out into your case, hotter than when it went in. This process just repeats itself over and over. Fanless mode doesn't help, we have to talk about GPUs under LOAD here.

If your case fans are unable to PULL the HOT air out of your case, it will very simply re-circulate.

You can say "well air is coming OUT of my case so therefore HOT air must be coming out too" - however that's not always true.

All cases have fans (even water cooled computers).
All cases have INTAKE and EXHAUST fans
All cases have INTERNAL FANS such as GPU fans, CPU fans, Power supply fans, supplemental fans, etc

Heat rises

Inside our case, depending on the components of course, we have devices generating heat. They are not always located in the same spots but thanks to ATX/ATX-e being the standard for a while, things are GENERALLY located in the same spots.

All these FANS inside your case will PULL AIR or PUSH AIR or BOTH.

Do you have more fans PULLING AIR IN than you do PUSHING AIR OUT?
Do you have more fans PUSHING AIR OUT than you do PULLING AIR IN?
Are the sizes of the fans equal? The speeds? The RPMs? The quality? STATIC PRESSURE?

Do you have obstructions, wires, hard drives, cdroms (huge air blocker) preventing air flow?

Is your case dusty and clogged up?

If you have GPUs under load getting to HIGH TEMPS, the FANS will spin faster and therefore CREATE SUCTION

If the AIR FLOW inside your case is WEAKER than your (3) GPU FANS SUCKING IN AIR, the GPU's can actually PULL HOT AIR BACK IN especially if you have something blowing air DOWN in your case. Watch for orientations and obstructions inside your case that may prevent heat from rising (or moving away).

A good PC airflow design will account for all this and more. Crazy fancy cases are not always good for airflow. Look at all that BLING as your equipment melts. lol

You can literally MAP OUT the airflow of your system. What are the possibilities? What are the options? Are you using the most ideal options?
SHOULD A FAN DIRECTION BE REVERSED?

Keep in mind that blowing air INTO your GPU may help, it is not specifically PULLING AIR OUT of your case. Side windows with fan mounts should be configured to BLOW AIR OUT with G1's because they exhaust hot air out of the cooler back into your case.

Sometimes you need to force the airflow to be directed across and up and away.. get creative.

This is only a rough example, I did this for testing and I will be getting a water block (any day now EK) anyway.
You can see how the air is getting pushed across both GPUs and the top fan will PUSH heat exhausted from both GPUs away.
My case is left OPEN so it is the easy way but will give great results.

A great tip is to take a fan and insert TIE WRAPS through all 4 holes of the fan. Push them through snug and leave about and INCH/CM on the end. Cut the rest off. Now you have (4) adjustable feet on your fan to pitch it a little or just raise it up higher. You can put it right on your GPU backplate and let it push hot air away. Makes a huge difference.

Get creative and run your gear cool!

Lastly, if you have slightly MORE FAN POWER SUCKING IN to your case than you do AIR EXHAUSTING OUT, that will create positive pressure in your case and help reduce dust build up. Filters are cool. Compressors and routine cleaning are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsn View Post

On my G1 980 Ti, after being unstable at 1500MHZ with the V3 Beta bios, I am now running the V4 Beta Bios, I am completely stable at 1500MHZ and 8000MHZ memory after numerous lengthy tests, the set voltage on the Bios is perfect for my card it seems at 1.218v and throwing no Perf caps at all.

Could anyone post a quick rundown on how the settings work in regards to Bios fan speeds etc and how to modify or direct me to a link so I can tweak myself?

I too, would like a slightly more proactive fan curve than stock, that's a little less aggressive then the V3 Bios.

Also, does anyone know of a way to control the LED colors on the card without using Oc Guru 2?? or even how to get Oc Guru 2 into windows startup as a last resort, its listed in startup after setting to administrator etc in the startup folder but still doesn't work and my Led's that I want red keep turning off or back to white.

Thanks for the feedback. That's an early-test V4BETA in case anyone was wondering. I am probably going to test with F4 a bit before I post V4BETA.

The fan speeds require you to do percentages. The most important number is to know is that MAX RPM is 4200. That would be 100% fan speed. Any value that you want to enter must be mathematically correct. RPM value and percentage must match. For example 80% of 4200 would be 3360. So I would have to put BOTH 3360 for the RPM and ALSO 80 for the percent. The TEMP value is simply when that specific fan point will be triggered. The rpms increase gradually at a rate based on the numeric distance to the next fan point. The last fan point (only 3) will be the max your fans can go.

In my example below, you can see that I had also reduced the MAX RPMS from 4200 to 3600 to reduce noise. That works out to 90%.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #1526 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

You have to ask Heisenberg (Click to show)

LOL JK.

Fanless operation is DISABLED in this custom BIOS for 980Ti.

IMHO - It is because we are finding that BIG MAXWELL can get pretty hot, pretty fast.. If you are sitting there @ idle, after a certain amount of time (based on ambient temps and GPU workload) the fans ARE going to turn on ANYWAY (eventually). This is not a "Home theater PC" where silent operation is a primary concern. This is a PERFORMANCE GPU begging to be overclocked to make its Titan-X big brother look bad (that's what brothers do to each other right lol).

With a fan going on and off, I would suspect it might distract us more than a variable speed fan would (that gradually increases and decreases).

Fanless operation is 2015's latest GIMMICK.. but I respect those who think it is great. Silent is for watercoolers (hurry up EK!!)

IMO I prefer having a PROACTIVE fan curve than a REACTIVE fan curve. The GPU cooler with a fanless mode is going to make the ENTIRE COOLER 55C which is the STOCK temps when the fans turn on (the heat will dissiptate along the fins and heat pipes) before it starts to cool all the components. That is 131F!

Can the GPU and the cooler handle it, probably can.. but you don't hardly hear the fans at 35%-40% anyway. 35% is the STOCK BIOS speed when the fans do come on (way too low IMO and reactive cooling). 40% is the default fan speed of this custom BIOS, both speeds are very quiet.

The default FAN SETTINGS also don't work very well and can get quite loud, which is all because of the silent mode (effectively removes a BIOS fan point from 3 to 2). If you've been around a little bit there is a post when I first got my 980Ti where I tried the stock "AUTO" fan settings and they performed horribly. I customized the fan settings to perform VERY NEAR a custom fan curve (Proactive and aggressive, yet minimizing noise) without using CPU cycles of a custom fan curve. The expense was the loss of the fanless mode operation (which seems pointless to me anyway).

I also like the idea that anyone using this BIOS, if they do NOTHING and just leave the fan on AUTO, it will keep the GPU nicely cooled.

If folks want the fanless mode back let me know and we'll see if we have enough interest or you can just modify the fan profile back to stock on your own if preferred.

Above all else, Heisenberg said so wink.gif

Is there any guide for what of these does what? Or could you just tell me what I have to change for the fan to stay off until 55°C?

post #1527 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshuru View Post

Is there any guide for what of these does what? Or could you just tell me what I have to change for the fan to stay off until 55°C?

RED = Starting FAN PERCENTAGE and RPMS / Maximum FAN PERCENTAGE and RPMS

BLUE=STARTING FAN POINT (1)

GREEN=DISTANCE TO NEXT FAN CHANGE (2)

ORANGE=DISTANCE TO MAX FAN SPEED (3)

PER = PERCENTAGE
TMP = TEMP TOP CHANGE IN CELCIUS
RPMS = SPEED

post #1528 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:11 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 211 (Unique: 133)
I did a little testing and it turns out I get the same temperature benefits if I leave the side of the case on and just point the fan under my desk. I think my issue is all of the hot air that is getting trapped under my desk once I have been playing for a little while. All of that hot air is being sucked in by the intake fans and blown right back into the case. I have a poor set up, large desk, in a corner, exterior walls and 100 degrees outside. When I am gaming it is hot as hell under my desk and 75 degrees above it. So I have pulled my desk away from the walls a bit to help the hot air escape and I aimed the fan under my desk to help circulate cooler room air in and hot case exhaust out.

I will see how this helps. I just recently got this case and have yet to sort out the airflow situation in it because I am planning to make the jump to a custom loop and didn't want to buy fans twice.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #1529 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

RED = Starting FAN PERCENTAGE and RPMS / Maximum FAN PERCENTAGE and RPMS

BLUE=STARTING FAN POINT (1)

GREEN=DISTANCE TO NEXT FAN CHANGE (2)

ORANGE=DISTANCE TO MAX FAN SPEED (3)

PER = PERCENTAGE
TMP = TEMP TOP CHANGE IN CELCIUS
RPMS = SPEED
Thanks. Do I have to match up the percentage to the fan speed? Shouldn't a certain percentage correspond to a certain speed?

post #1530 of 7855 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshuru View Post

Thanks. Do I have to match up the percentage to the fan speed? Shouldn't a certain percentage correspond to a certain speed?

Check the very bottom of this post
https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/1520#post_24235360

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in