GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #11 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
To ensure we don't stray too much (no complaints, just sayin' ) I would like everyone's help to encourage some 'expert Maxwell overclockers', especially ones with G1 hardware (this custom PCB), to take a look at the OP and hopefully provide us some further advice for additional performance tweaking.

◕◕ The idea here is to start with version beta 1.0 of the BIOS and together test and tweak to improve the performance even further, if possible. typer.gif    
◕◕ If we are not able to push the performance further, it also serves to save others lots of trial and error. cheers.gif

In detail: Digging into voltage, boost clocks, power, TDP, etc. in both BIOS and overclocking software. What works for some, may not work for others but we can dive in and prove through community testing one way or another what works and what doesn't and help other understand what these settings do. I hope the end-result to be a wealth of information and to share refined/tweaked BIOS that represents our efforts and made available to all to tinker with as they wish.

Since I'm new here, I might need some help getting this to the right audience.

Snorkle.gif
Thank you
thumb.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

I'm still working in the background on Beta v2. I've been able to make some progress through reverse engineering.

v2 so far, 1583 boost with no throttling. Look at those temps! AB is showing the results from a full 3DMark 4k run in SLI. specool.gif

post #13 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Matcha Soda

Rep: 56 (Unique: 37)
EVGA has special editions of their cards such as classy where you can have memory over-voltage, and some other special features. MSI has their lightening line-up. Gigabyte has 0. Atleast for their G1 cards they should enable memory overvoltage. Is there no rep from gigabyte at OCN?

I don't think posting to their official forums as a request for G1 memory over-voltage would help. Since EVGA and ZOTAC already do it I'm sure nvidia isn't denying this feature.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd955be5670 View Post

EVGA has special editions of their cards such as classy where you can have memory over-voltage, and some other special features. MSI has their lightening line-up. Gigabyte has 0. Atleast for their G1 cards they should enable memory overvoltage. Is there no rep from gigabyte at OCN?

I don't think posting to their official forums as a request for G1 memory over-voltage would help. Since EVGA and ZOTAC already do it I'm sure nvidia isn't denying this feature.

As we compare all of the cards out there in the round-up there are perhaps some 'better' choices for extreme overclocking. I haven't even thought about memory overvolt on these cards until you mentioned it but you are probably right, doesn't seem mentioned anywhere on G1 cards so perhaps not an option for us Gigabyte owners. I think with the apprx 1GHZ overclock on the memory with stock voltage we already get, I wonder how much we'd gain with more mem voltage but an interesting point nonetheless. We may have to just forget about mucking with memory voltage.

Last night I was messing around with voltage on my G1 cards and I can understand why people say you cannot monitor the voltage accurately with software. I don't have a multi-meter but I was able to determine that there were in fact voltage changes taking place even though software displayed a steady 1.275v.

It was simple really, I would adjust the voltage slider with Kombuster running until it reported 1.275v. Using that 'spot' on the voltage slider was my baseline where it first hits max "reported" voltage of 1.275v. I was able to complete a 3DMARK run but with some artifacts. Without changing anything other than voltage, I increased the voltage slider up about 10mv and re-ran the test each time with less artifacts until it ran clean. When I maxxed out the voltage slider and re-ran the same test, it crashed proving I was sending more voltage than it could handle.

SO..IMO I have been able to identify supporting evidence that the G1 cards with the custom PCB are allowing MORE THAN 1.275v to the GPU.

The question is how much more voltage does the Gigabyte custom PCB actually provide? I read elsewhere someone actually measured it at 1.31v (when software reports 1.275v) but cannot confirm personally (but no reason not to take their word I guess).

Perhaps we have the first variable, the VOLTAGE RANGE? This PCB is capable of between ~1 and 1.31v with a maximum voltage of 1.31v?
thinking.gif That IS an advantage for Gigabyte over some of the other cards out there (albeit maybe not the BEST but one of them).

I don't really have experience of knowing how to tweak the voltage tables to accommodate this voltage but will share what I learn as I go. wink.gif

Anyone else testing?

post #15 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 09:21 PM
Matcha Soda

I have so far tried 1.275V and pretty sure it goes till that based on TDP % numbers. I also tried 1.287V in BIOS but it wasn't stable at the frequency I wanted it to be so I just assumed my card is capped at 1.275V. It might be true as well because who knows what gigabyte did in rev1.1. Probably used an even cheaper VRM.

post #16 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 12:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 141)
@ amd955be5670 ,
I ended up returning the 750Ti to Best Buy today, because it kept shutting the computer down. When I got there they had 1 left. I was lucky because after I installed the card, I saw it had Samsung VRAM smile.gif .Also, when I opened the new package, I notice that the card had a Quality Control sticker on it, signed by a human. I looked at old pics of the card that I returned, and no QC sticker....Lucky for me I guess. No wonder it was shutting down the PC!
post #17 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 AM
Matcha Soda

We have hijacked and derailed this thread tongue.gif

But still, by QC sticker, do you mean 3~4 round small stickers with OK on it? 1 of my 560Tis which didn't have it went to 99C within 2mins of kombuster, and to 85c within 5 minutes of crysis. The other 560Ti with the 4 stickers didn't have this issue. The G1 Gaming I have doesn't have these stickers (I think). It might be under the backplate, but so far, temps are actually bad. I thought this could heat up my room but nope.. defective gpu! My 560Tis would warm upto 74c, but this doesn't even break 60c. Forcing 1.275v got the gpu upto 65c in bf4. Damn. I should have got R9 290 tongue.gif

post #18 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 01:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 141)
Nope, big rectangular sticker on the back of the card, about 1x2inches, with letter and x's in the boxes and a signature at the bottom. I dumped the bios and modded it right away, lol. EVGA750tiSCACX_1.2v_1400Mhz.rom ,lol. The old card was very loud at first. This morning loud rattling started, then fans stopped all together frown.gif and shut the pc down. Once I took it out, I could power the computer back on again. Anyway, the new card on the low side @ 23-27C, under full load 50-57C. 100W TDP, 75W PCI-E, 75W Power Limit. I also apologize Laithan for hijacking and railroading the thread.
post #19 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

w/e...np
thumb.gif

post #20 of 7864 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Matcha Soda

So I have some results for you. Currently my best stable OC is 1.275V @ 1557mhz. I tried 1.3125V @ 1569.5mhz, and yep, it failed. So my conclusion will be, the VRM in Rev 1.1 or F50 is unable to supply more than 1.275V to the Core. Its set to 1.275V in the bios, so if the real world value is actually more than or less than that, I don't know. It could also be my limit is itself 1557mhz on this gpu, which doesn't make sense because adding 0.125volts to the core should atleast net 13mhz more out of the OC.

I wonder if any other Rev 1.1 user with F50 has applied 1.3125V in the bios and is getting more than 1575mhz out of their GPU.

This is a G1 GTX 970

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in