GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 259 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #2581 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

They control the voltage slider range and more importantly, voltage throttling behavior.

I'm curious as to the behavior of the power tables, why is the TDP in stock 980Ti G1 bios set to 225W both default and max, whereas the power limit section (below the 8-pin pci connectors) is set to 280w and scales to 390w

In your custom bios you had changed the tdp to a higher value if im not mistaken, is it not enough to change the power limit (and add to the pci slot, 8-pin connectors to balance it out) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 141)
Does anyone know what the very last voltage slider controls?
post #2583 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieldra View Post

I'm curious as to the behavior of the power tables, why is the TDP in stock 980Ti G1 bios set to 225W both default and max, whereas the power limit section (below the 8-pin pci connectors) is set to 280w and scales to 390w

In your custom bios you had changed the tdp to a higher value if im not mistaken, is it not enough to change the power limit (and add to the pci slot, 8-pin connectors to balance it out) ?

If you hover over TDP% in GPU-z it describes it as the "Power consumption for the entire graphics card". For this reason I have always matched TDP and MAXPOWER values in the BIOS. I wasn't the first to do this so can't take credit for it.

If you notice, what you described occurs in most STOCK BIOS', even in areas outside power delivery. For example, most voltage tables go up to 1.281v but max voltage allowed (very first voltage slider) is usually 1.250v, limiting it. The latest Gigabyte LN2 extreme BIOS sets the TDP value to 996,000 ( higher than max power which is 900,000 LOL! ). I can only conclude that having the TDP values set lower than max power is a limiting factor and may constrict the card in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel74 View Post

Does anyone know what the very last voltage slider controls?

I think we've determined it is not in use as early testing with that didn't increase voltages and quite frankly didn't seem to do anything...

If I was to take a wild guess (and I am sure I am wrong), due to the fact that it is a fixed voltage value, and the ONLY other fixed voltage value is the very first one at the top (for the GPU's max allowed voltage) I am guessing that very last fixed slider could possibly be reserved for the 2nd GPU on a Dual-GPU BIOS? We haven't seen one since the GTX690... ¯\(°_o)/¯ [SHRUG]

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, thanks. Also is 31*C idle and 58*C max ok for an Intel 4790k overclocked to 4.4Ghz with a Corsair H100i? I used AS5 and am still within the 200 hour break-in period.
post #2585 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel74 View Post

Ok, thanks. Also is 31*C idle and 58*C max ok for an Intel 4790k overclocked to 4.4Ghz with a Corsair H100i? I used AS5 and am still within the 200 hour break-in period.

One of the reasons I switched to Tuniq TX4 (plus AS5 is conductive) mad.gif
Temps are just fine, expect a few C lower as you break it in.

My temps

post #2586 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 05:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

ok, just checking. Played SW:BF with son and looked at the cpu temps. Used to be in the low 60's before I switched cases. Not too bad I guess for 4.4GHz @ 1.084V. Stock is 4.0GHz......
post #2587 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Just doing some more testing tonight..I am thinking now that we have extreme cards, factory water blocks and custom water blocks on 980Ti's now, we should start to think about BIOS branches.... We've never needed a separate BIOS for AIR vs H2O with GM204 but there's a very different story with GM200!

980Ti is showing us that it likes to get REALLY hot, even with the BEST coolers.. They are screaming for a waterblock. sozo.gif

1.237v in my opinion is the MOST voltage you should be sending to GM200 on AIR. Yes I know some GPUs with a STOCK BIOS can hit 1.243v but with extreme tests @ 4K max settings we start to see that little bit of voltage make a HUGE difference in max temps.

I just did some tests on AIR and I'll give you the summary. This is (2) GPUs in SLI, and I am giving you the TOP card which is the HOTTEST:

1.262v = 90C max temps, test aborted by me because I wasn't comfortable with this much heat! devil.gif
1.243v = 88C max temps, test aborted by me because I wasn't comfortable with this much heat! devil.gif
1.237v = 86C max temps, test was allowed to complete

So this doesn't mean everyone will get these temps, it means that with that voltage, and @4K with max settings, if you push the GPU hard enough you CAN get those temps on AIR. I will also add that I have my fans maxxed out, supplemental fans installed and my case is open with a room that is kept cool so I'm really surprised how hot these GPUs can get when pushed hard.

The other point to highlight is that never once did I get any crashes or artifacts despite the high temps... there is clearly a THERMAL RESTRICTION preventing us from pushing GM200 further (where this was NOT the case with GM204, both AIR and WATER could run 1.281v).

I think it is clear that for those that have a water block on GM200, it isn't just for show anymore thumb.gif

H2O has a clear advantage over those on AIR with regard to higher voltages with GM200 and therefore should benefit from a BIOS optimized to take advantage of the extra cooling.

We also have some learning to do with these new Gigabyte extreme cards. The LN2 mode and the extra 6-pin, are they bound together? Can the "non-LN2" BIOS access/utilize that additional 6-pin PCI-e also? For those on water that have no intention of using LN2, we might be able to use the LN2 BIOS and change it for H2O so that water blocks can use the additional 6-pin PCI-e also.. of course we'll need to see if it is of really any benefit to do so as well..

Some ideas floating tongue.gif

Flash at your own risk of course!

If anyone want to give this a try.. The first H2O BIOS specific to the GTX 980Ti G1? (not the extreme, that will come later)

So how many out there on H20 have already found your max overclock using 1.237v and want to see if additional voltage will allow more headroom on 980Ti?

H2O_V1.1BETAF4_DP.zip 152k .zip file

☞ This is a DP BIOS! Don't flash if you are using DD! (But you can copy over all the settings to your DD BIOS wink.gif )
1.281v (1.275v in BIOS and will report 1.274v under load)
☞ Default BOOST speed increased to 1506.5Mhz (vs 1455Mhz with V4BETAF4 [AIR] BIOS).
     As always, Voltage and Power % sliders maxxed in your O/C app = 1506Mhz boost @ +0Mhz GPU.
☞ Disabled fan settings H2O ONLY!!!
☞ Power and everything else is the same as V4BETAF4, 450W (700W+ PSU recommended), No perfcaps, etc

So the main thing here is that when GM200 is on AIR, we can sometimes run into thermal limitations without have run into crashes or artifacts. Purely high temps only resulting in overclocks having to be lowered. Anyone with this GPU on H2O should gain an additional 20C or so of thermal headroom which should allow additional voltage to be compensated... but .. There's NO GUARANTEE this BIOS would result in any additional overclocking headroom, it is a TEST to see if removing thermal limitations on GM200 will allow higher voltage which can theoretically allow additional overclocking headroom..

We won't know unless we try right wink.gif
Attached Files
File Type: zip H2O_V1.1BETAF4_DP.zip (152.2 KB, 68 views)

post #2588 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Flash at your own risk

This is a new MOD BIOS for the Gigabyte GTX980Ti EXTREME Gaming.

As with previous Gigabyte 9xx cards there are (2) BIOS' however this time they utilize a physical switch on the EXTREME cards (including the new Waterforce) to change between each BIOS. The STANDARD BIOS is named D_S. The LN2 BIOS is named D_T.

This is the STANDARD (NON-LN2) BIOS, which is the D_S.
GIGA-EXTREME_AIR_V1BETA-D_S.zip 146k .zip file

I basically ported over all of the settings from V4BETAF4 (non extreme 980Ti) with some minor changes. The cooler on the new extreme cards is a "700W" cooler vs the former "600W" coolers on the non-extreme cards. For this reason I bumped the voltage up a notch to 1.243v (1.250v in BIOS).

Same features as all the posted BIOS' here, no perfcaps, no throttling, predictable boost speeds, etc.

As always max out voltage and power % sliders. Default boost speed is 1455Mhz @ +0Mhz on the GPU core. Overclock from there.

Enjoy! tongue.gif
Attached Files
File Type: zip GIGA-EXTREME_AIR_V1BETA-D_S.zip (146.4 KB, 56 views)

post #2589 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 08:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Cheers for the H2O_V1BETAF4_DP

Been waiting for this for a long time!

Gonna flash now. . .

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5GHZ / 4.5GHZ Cache / EK-Supremacy EVO - Full Nickel
MOBO/PSU: X99 SOC Champion / EVGA SuperNova P2 1200W '80 Plus Platinum'
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 3200Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 / EK Full Custom Waterblock
STORAGE OS: Intel 750NVMe 400GB (WIN10Pro)
CASE/COOLING: Enthoo Primo / Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 420 + 480 Monsta
post #2590 of 7857 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobied77 View Post

Cheers for the H2O_V1BETAF4_DP

Been waiting for this for a long time!

Gonna flash now. . .

I just ordered water blocks for my Ti's wink.gif can't wait to join you. tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in