GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 265 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #2641 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOONAMI View Post

I'm curious if anyone has developed a bios for the G1 980 ti, that includes the power targets and voltage tweaks baked in, and thus we would not have to use software tweaking at all? 1291/1455 seems + 8000 memory seems like a good sweet spot for a totally software free bios.

I haven't used nvtweak in months. Maybe I'll go in there and do some digging to see if I can modify what Laithan has already done.

My understanding is - that is basically what has been done with this bios. As far as I can tell there is really only the one power and voltage setting on this bios. Just for it to kick in you have to set those sliders all the way to max and that basically "activates" the baked in power and voltage.

At least that is how I am interpreting it, for the bios to really run properly those sliders have to be maxed out and that is the only "real" setting. I may be wrong but that's what it seems like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

its so strange because with v4 it does not downclock even if im running the card at 80 degrees. I can get 1475 "gamestable" in witcher, bf4 and fallout 4 atleast. Also im running the dp bios now but ive been running dd before,the card hade a dd bios stock. Can that cause any issues? Cause gigabyte cards got dual bios right so there shouldnt be a problem i guess. Also what really determines when the card clocks down? It cant be the temperatures?!

I didn't test with this 1.281v BIOS that much (because still on AIR) so it could also need some further tweaking but we had someone who was actually running a water block test the 1.281v BIOS and they didn't report this. I just think it is too much voltage for air unfortunately. It could be VRMs overheating not the GPU itself. I can see why you wanted to try the H2O BIOS to see if you could gain some additional OC headroom but I can't stress this enough, GM200 doesn't like higher voltages on AIR.

These GPUs have a dual BIOS but it is really important to know the difference between DD and DP (they are identical in performance) and be sure not to flash the other one by accident. Just wanted to mention this just in case it wasn't clear. When you say you were previously using the DD BIOS, does that mean you physically had a different monitor configuration? Just want to make sure.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #2643 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 21)
Quote:

Damn, those are nice clocks without having to flash a bios. Maybe you can hit 1600!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by microtech View Post

Hey there Alpina 7!

That question has been asked and answered a few times (I know because I asked it a few weeks ago haha). Check out Laithan's (he is the one that makes the BIOS) reply with a little step by step guide here:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/2510#post_24633907

EDIT: Also what Zoonami says below is true. Your overclocks are pretty dang AMAZING on the stock bios. I guess if it were me I'd still want to see if I could push it further too but honestly you may want to just call it good at 1505 if you can really hit that and stay stable, not many cards seem to be able to.

Really? i didnt think they were that special. ive gotten it to 1511 stable at these voltages but i dont think it likes the memory pushed any further. The highest temp i have seen on my stress test @ these settings was 62c so far. when im gaming i rarely get over 51-54c and im not even on water.... if im to push it any further is it safe running higher voltage? i think it can go up one more value. like 0.08 something how safe is that? how safe are the voltages im running now? i DON'T want to ruin this $700 card.

another thing i dont know if its related but i seem to have 1 issue. every time i restart my computer or turn it on My overclock GURU 2 decides to forget my settings and puts them back to stock. so i have to return them to MY settings. also sometimes i even have to exit out of my OC guru and restart it because all the values are blank. any idea why this is happening? its annoying to say the least. any help would be greatly appreciated

and lastly im running a predator 360 on my cpu.. is there even a reason to water cool my gpu?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

My card can be pushed to those numbers but it will only run for like 40 minutes tops at the fan 100% before it crashes. Not from heat it stays way low like yours but it just has a driver crash. Have you tested yours for an hour or more I wonder?
post #2645 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

I didn't test with this 1.281v BIOS that much (because still on AIR) so it could also need some further tweaking but we had someone who was actually running a water block test the 1.281v BIOS and they didn't report this. I just think it is too much voltage for air unfortunately. It could be VRMs overheating not the GPU itself. I can see why you wanted to try the H2O BIOS to see if you could gain some additional OC headroom but I can't stress this enough, GM200 doesn't like higher voltages on AIR.

These GPUs have a dual BIOS but it is really important to know the difference between DD and DP (they are identical in performance) and be sure not to flash the other one by accident. Just wanted to mention this just in case it wasn't clear. When you say you were previously using the DD BIOS, does that mean you physically had a different monitor configuration? Just want to make sure.
alright! Yeah, i feel like 1475 is a little bit low with my 72% asic score... Nopp, i have had the same monitorsetup all the time. You dont have a DD version of the bios? Gonna read up a little more on DD vs DP so i dont **** up my card....

Would be nice to know the reason why it throttles, cuz its always at 70 degrees on the gpu. Seems a little strange for it to be the vram then?
post #2646 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina 7 View Post

Ok so after finding this thread im Absolutely want to try this on my gigabyte 980ti G1 gaming. but honestly i dont know what or how to do any of this. could anyone take the time to help me do my card? right now im at 1505mhz @ 8000 memory @ 0.075 volts... 139/91 on the power/temp scale

thanks in advance gentlemen

We're happy to help but you'll need to do a bit of "homework" first. smile.gif Just become familiar with the terms, the tools, the difference between DD and DP BIOS', download Maxwell BIOS Tweaker v1.36, NVFLASH from Joe Dirt's thread, any specific questions we're happy to help.

You're getting a pretty good overclock already so I wouldn't expect much more but it will provide other improvements.

Take a look at the original post in this thread, I keep a lot of useful information and links there. Also there are many tutorials in the interweb for flashing a GPU but IGNORE any of them that use Gigabyte's crappy flashing tool smile.gif.. Look for NVFLASH tutorials only wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop24 View Post

Wow nearly 1200w from the wall. What's your CPU and is it highly OC'd as well?

Yup.. CPU is an old XEON X5470 and it is overclocked to 4.6Ghz tongue.gif It is pretty thirsty and can draw over 200W but the majority of the power being used are the GPUs with the modified BIOS removing power restrictions.

Quote:

After some of the more recent Nvidia driver releases, I am getting a lot of crashes at 1500/8000 with my 980 ti G1.

Another weird thing I'm noticing, is if in Precision X I set to default settings (modded bios default), the card will only boost to 1285mhz or so.

Why would that be? The base value should be 1291mhz, so this doesn't really make sense. The bios should be boosting it to 1450mhz or so.

The only thing I can think of is that the card needs the max voltage slider applied to boost properly? I don't really like that idea, so I may just revert to a Gigabyte bios and OC manually with software instead of using a bios at all.

Yes, that's the way they've always been here. The voltage and power % sliders must be maxxed out for overclocking mode. Perfectly normal smile.gif

Quote:

Hey Laithan,

Hope all is well good sir! I've been playing with your bios for weeks now and love it. However one thing I've noticed and wonder about. I see the voltage never goes down even when the card isn't being utilized. I am guessing this is normal? I've noticed that since the voltage stays high (at 1.22) the temperature on the core is always at least 50C even at complete idle with nothing going on. This makes it impossible for the fan to truly ever shut off when idle. It may shut off for a minute but then the temperature will creep up and make it kick on.

Is this by design? I was thinking the fan would still be able to do it's auto-off thing when not under load.

Thanks sir, you are awesome!
Tim

This depends how you configure power management mode. If you choose to use "PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE" or "ADAPTIVE" modes (FYI a reboot is required to make changes really work right). Prefer maximum performance is going to keep your GPU no lower than the default clock speed, which is 1291Mhz. I am currently idling @ 1291Mhz, 1.168v @ 48C temps because I always keep prefer max performance enabled. If you enable adaptive power management mode, then you can drop well below 1291Mhz (and therefor the voltage will also drop considerably). As you can see, even maintaining 1291Mhz is no problem for these GPUs.. I'm below 1.2v and below 50C.

Fanless mode will work if you use adaptive power management mode. wink.gif

Quote:

Thank you Microtech, I figured that must be the case.

It's just different than the bios I'm running on my EVGA GTX 970 that requires no software tweaking, runs at ~1485/8000 stable. I had sort of assumed without additional tweaking via software, the card would run at 1291/1455 core, but I guess not.

Thanks Microtech for helping smile.gif

Zoonami, there are many ways to MOD a BIOS. It is possible to configure the BIOS to not require the use of an overclocking tool to raise the voltage and power % sliders. That's just not how we do it here, we like to give people the choice as to how they want to run their GPU. In my opinion, everyone needs an O/C app anyway to adjust overclocks, monitor, use a custom fan curve etc. so while there, just max the voltage and power % sliders wink.gif

Quote:

I'm curious if anyone has developed a bios for the G1 980 ti, that includes the power targets and voltage tweaks baked in, and thus we would not have to use software tweaking at all? 1291/1455 seems + 8000 memory seems like a good sweet spot for a totally software free bios.

I haven't used nvtweak in months. Maybe I'll go in there and do some digging to see if I can modify what Laithan has already done.

Nope, not here biggrin.gif. Honestly, if I felt that I could live without an O/C I would have put more effort into that kind of BIOS. The reality is that no matter what BIOS I post, it isn't going to be specific to your GPU. The max stable clock speed is different for every GPU regardless of ASIC% (not directly related to max clocks) so unless I posted a copy of the BIOS @ 1455Mhz boost, then another at 1465Mhz boost, and another at 1475Mhz boost, etc. everyone that downloads this BIOS is still going to need to experiment and find the max game stable overclock. This means an O/C app is needed smile.gif.

When using a custom BIOS, unless you MODIFY THE BIOS FAN VALUES, or are on H2O, you NEED a custom fan curve. The STOCK curve isn't aggressive enough. Custom fan curves are found inside O/C apps smile.gif

Even if everyone modified their OWN BIOS, what happens when it turns summer and the temps are higher and humidity raises.. you start to crash.. now you need to re-flash the BIOS to lower clock speeds? That's a pain in the butt.

I use MSI AB 4.11 and I have zero issues with it using cpu cycles, crashing or anything else. Very small footprint. smile.gif

Quote:

My understanding is - that is basically what has been done with this bios. As far as I can tell there is really only the one power and voltage setting on this bios. Just for it to kick in you have to set those sliders all the way to max and that basically "activates" the baked in power and voltage.

At least that is how I am interpreting it, for the bios to really run properly those sliders have to be maxed out and that is the only "real" setting. I may be wrong but that's what it seems like?

It isn't really different from stock it is the values/tweaks within the BIOS that make the difference. For example, with a STOCK BIOS you still have a voltage and power % slider. You still DON'T get the full power of the GPU unless BOTH are maxxed out. There is no difference here except the values/tweaks within the BIOS.

Due to the fact that the voltage range has been increased +0mV - +100mV there is a wider range. Regardless of the range, there is still just a "DEFAULT/MAX" value for voltage in the BIOS. The maximum value is going to be where the most voltage is allowed and that is not going to be available until you max the voltage slider and allow the maximum value defined in the BIOS to then be used. There are more ticks/positions on the slider than with a STOCK BIOS allowing you to dial in, if there was a specific reason you needed to do this (24x7 folding perhaps).

Same goes for the power %. The default power defined in the BIOS will be used when the power % slider is at 100%. The MAXIMUM power defined in the BIOS will be used when the slider is at 150%.

It's pretty simple actually right? wink.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #2647 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

My card can be pushed to those numbers but it will only run for like 40 minutes tops at the fan 100% before it crashes. Not from heat it stays way low like yours but it just has a driver crash. Have you tested yours for an hour or more I wonder?

ive ran it for hours. played flight simulator for 3 hours the other night as well at full settings no issues. so far so good. ran on Realbench of an hour with no issues too.
post #2648 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

This depends how you configure power management mode. If you choose to use "PREFER MAX PERFORMANCE" or "ADAPTIVE" modes (FYI a reboot is required to make changes really work right). Prefer maximum performance is going to keep your GPU no lower than the default clock speed, which is 1291Mhz. I am currently idling @ 1291Mhz, 1.168v @ 48C temps because I always keep prefer max performance enabled. If you enable adaptive power management mode, then you can drop well below 1291Mhz (and therefor the voltage will also drop considerably). As you can see, even maintaining 1291Mhz is no problem for these GPUs.. I'm below 1.2v and below 50C.

Thanks for the reply as always but I am a bit confused. If you have yours on max performance then how is it idling at 1.168v? Sounds like your bios is maybe a bit different from the V4BETAF4 one on the front page? I am using that one and even at idle on max performance mode it never drops below the 1.22v. I will try playing with the adaptive option now and see what happens, but I would like to be similar to yours, always at max performance but keeping a low idle like that.

EDIT: Mine does sit at the 1291 Mhz, but it never goes below 1.22v so maybe I am missing something or need to tweak something in the bios?

EDIT AGAIN: I set it to adaptive and immediately after reboot the voltage was down all the way to like 0.84v so that definitely got it nice and low. Now this is strange though, when I put a load on the GPU now suddenly the voltage jumps up to 1.237V! This is higher than I've ever seen it go before, it was 1.224 before on maximum performance, and seemed to be locked to that 1.224. Hmm interesting... I may have to up my clock a bit more now with this extra voltage and see what happens?!
post #2649 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina 7 View Post

ive ran it for hours. played flight simulator for 3 hours the other night as well at full settings no issues. so far so good. ran on Realbench of an hour with no issues too.

Dang man, want to swap cards? haha really you have a monster card there then it sounds like!
post #2650 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Dang man, want to swap cards? haha really you have a monster card there then it sounds like!

Wow that makes me happy. and here i thought i had a mediocre card..... if anyone can tell me if its safe to go higher voltage ill try to get her running even higher. i just want to stay safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in