GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 266 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #2651 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina 7 View Post

Really? i didnt think they were that special. ive gotten it to 1511 stable at these voltages but i dont think it likes the memory pushed any further. The highest temp i have seen on my stress test @ these settings was 62c so far. when im gaming i rarely get over 51-54c and im not even on water.... if im to push it any further is it safe running higher voltage? i think it can go up one more value. like 0.08 something how safe is that? how safe are the voltages im running now? i DON'T want to ruin this $700 card.

another thing i dont know if its related but i seem to have 1 issue. every time i restart my computer or turn it on My overclock GURU 2 decides to forget my settings and puts them back to stock. so i have to return them to MY settings. also sometimes i even have to exit out of my OC guru and restart it because all the values are blank. any idea why this is happening? its annoying to say the least. any help would be greatly appreciated

and lastly im running a predator 360 on my cpu.. is there even a reason to water cool my gpu?

OC GURU is garbage. I don't even use it and that means I had to give up giving a crap about the card's LEDs. They should have released a stand-alone app that allows us to change the colors but instead they try to force use to use OC GARBAGE, I mean OC GURU.. Use MSI Afterburner 4.11, go into the settings and enable voltage control and disable all the monitoring that you don't need on all the time.

Yes a G1Ti running over 1500Mhz with a STOCK BIOS is impressive, congrats! thumb.gif

Don't be worried about breaking your GPU, I used my GPUs to be the Guinea pigs and beat the crap out of them well before anything gets posted here. You're WELL within limits and these cards all have self-protection built in, plus we're not pushing things to the extreme here either. Max temp is 91C or so, you aren't even close! biggrin.gif Run FFXIV free benchmark @ 4K max setting if you want to see high temps real fast tongue.gif

H2O is definitely a benefit for GM200 because it runs very hot. At a minimum it will keep the GPU cooler and run a LOT quieter because the windforce fans can get super loud. You might even get some additional O/C headroom but that's not guaranteed. I personally have tests where I appear to be stable but the temps are so high I end up aborting the test. Once I get on H2O then I will of course repeat the same test and I suspect it will pass now. So there's no question, it is EXPENSIVE and NOT ALWAYS WORTH IT, but this is how we roll. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

alright! Yeah, i feel like 1475 is a little bit low with my 72% asic score... Nopp, i have had the same monitorsetup all the time. You dont have a DD version of the bios? Gonna read up a little more on DD vs DP so i dont **** up my card....

Would be nice to know the reason why it throttles, cuz its always at 70 degrees on the gpu. Seems a little strange for it to be the vram then?

Not vram (memory), VRM. Voltage Regulator Modules.. They get REAL hot.

ASIC% has nothing to do with your max overclock. This is misunderstood by most. Whatever your max overclock of any given GPU is silicon lottery. For example if every GPU made all had 72% ASIC each one of them would STILL have a different max overclock. The ASIC% is just how much voltage is required to reach the max overclock. Sometimes that is within range of a stock BIOS other times it is not. That's why everyone doesn't get overclocking headroom out of a MOD BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microtech View Post

Thanks for the reply as always but I am a bit confused. If you have yours on max performance then how is it idling at 1.168v? Sounds like your bios is maybe a bit different from the V4BETAF4 one on the front page? I am using that one and even at idle on max performance mode it never drops below the 1.22v. I will try playing with the adaptive option now and see what happens, but I would like to be similar to yours, always at max performance but keeping a low idle like that.

Just make sure you reboot after you switch to adaptive wink.gif

Yes I am using the same BIOS on the front page, nothing different. I have (2) GPUs in SLI also. I assume ASIC% has some influence on the idle voltage.

Keep in mind that when your temps are low, you're fine. When you GPU is @ idle vs under load there's a big difference in heat output even if the voltage was similar. You could always change the default speed in the BIOS also if you really wanted it to idle lower but I wouldn't see this as anything you need to "fix" unless heat was a big problem.

Quote:

Wow that makes me happy. and here i thought i had a mediocre card..... if anyone can tell me if its safe to go higher voltage ill try to get her running even higher. i just want to stay safe.

I wouldn't recommend it on AIR, no.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2652 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Yes I am using the same BIOS on the front page, nothing different. I have (2) GPUs in SLI also. I assume ASIC% has some influence on the idle voltage.

Keep in mind that when your temps are low, you're fine. When you GPU is @ idle vs under load there's a big difference in heat output even if the voltage was similar. You could always change the default speed in the BIOS also if you really wanted it to idle lower but I wouldn't see this as anything you need to "fix" unless heat was a big problem.

Yes I definitely know there is a huge difference between the heat under load and not under load. However on max performance my card keeps the voltage at 1.224 permanently. With the voltage that high I can tell the fan to shut of at 60C... the fans will blow and get it to be 59C, the fans shut off, then it quickly heats up to 60C and the fans kick on for 30 sec, then shut off and repeat constantly. I've tried all different fan settings and different thresholds for when it kicks on. No matter what the heat just creeps on and requires the fan come on. So I can't figure out how yours idles at 1.16 and mine idles at 1.224 when both are at max performance?

EDIT: Just saw your comment about ASIC score maybe affecting it... Mine is at 72.8%
post #2653 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by microtech View Post

Yes I definitely know there is a huge difference between the heat under load and not under load. However on max performance my card keeps the voltage at 1.224 permanently. With the voltage that high I can tell the fan to shut of at 60C... the fans will blow and get it to be 59C, the fans shut off, then it quickly heats up to 60C and the fans kick on for 30 sec, then shut off and repeat constantly. I've tried all different fan settings and different thresholds for when it kicks on. No matter what the heat just creeps on and requires the fan come on. So I can't figure out how yours idles at 1.16 and mine idles at 1.224 when both are at max performance?

Difference is only 0.056v wink.gif
ASIC% I would guess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2654 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Gotcha, thanks for all your replies, I'll keep playing with it.
post #2655 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 27 (Unique: 21)
Quote:

OC GURU is garbage. I don't even use it and that means I had to give up giving a crap about the card's LEDs. They should have released a stand-alone app that allows us to change the colors but instead they try to force use to use OC GARBAGE, I mean OC GURU.. Use MSI Afterburner 4.11, go into the settings and enable voltage control and disable all the monitoring that you don't need on all the time.

Yes a G1Ti running over 1500Mhz with a STOCK BIOS is impressive, congrats! thumb.gif

Don't be worried about breaking your GPU, I used my GPUs to be the Guinea pigs and beat the crap out of them well before anything gets posted here. You're WELL within limits and these cards all have self-protection built in, plus we're not pushing things to the extreme here either. Max temp is 91C or so, you aren't even close! biggrin.gif Run FFXIV free benchmark @ 4K max setting if you want to see high temps real fast tongue.gif

H2O is definitely a benefit for GM200 because it runs very hot. At a minimum it will keep the GPU cooler and run a LOT quieter because the windforce fans can get super loud. You might even get some additional O/C headroom but that's not guaranteed. I personally have tests where I appear to be stable but the temps are so high I end up aborting the test. Once I get on H2O then I will of course repeat the same test and I suspect it will pass now. So there's no question, it is EXPENSIVE and NOT ALWAYS WORTH IT, but this is how we roll. thumb.gif
Not vram (memory), VRM. Voltage Regulator Modules.. They get REAL hot.

ASIC% has nothing to do with your max overclock. This is misunderstood by most. Whatever your max overclock of any given GPU is silicon lottery. For example if every GPU made all had 72% ASIC each one of them would STILL have a different max overclock. The ASIC% is just how much voltage is required to reach the max overclock. Sometimes that is within range of a stock BIOS other times it is not. That's why everyone doesn't get overclocking headroom out of a MOD BIOS.
Just make sure you reboot after you switch to adaptive wink.gif

I wouldn't recommend it on AIR, no.

SO is there not a program to JUST control my wind force LED's? if not can we not just create one? surely it cant be that difficult. i dont want to lose that
post #2656 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

SO is there not a program to JUST control my wind force LED's? if not can we not just create one? surely it cant be that difficult. i dont want to lose that

Nobody accepted the challenge yet..

If I knew how to do it myself I would, not a programmer.

LED Challenge
https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/1850#post_24324939

post #2657 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Ok! it´s so annoying because i´ve been playing witcher 3 for an hour now @1516mhz, running really nice. The problem is that i need to run the fan at 100% to keep the temps below 70....Maybe i should try a bios with like 1,25volts?
post #2658 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
The price of the new Waterforce cards are ~$250 USD more than the G1's in my country. And I want two of them. I wanted the silence and the ability to max them and never thermal throttle but I can't justify that price difference can I? I mean I game with headphones on anyways so who cares about sound r-right guys?
post #2659 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggaaaa View Post

Ok! it´s so annoying because i´ve been playing witcher 3 for an hour now @1516mhz, running really nice. The problem is that i need to run the fan at 100% to keep the temps below 70....Maybe i should try a bios with like 1,25volts?

You've highlighted one reason why putting these cards under H2O is desirable. wink.gif

You may be a bit over-cautious because 70C isn't a high temp for these cards. I just wouldn't let it go past 85C without keeping a super close eye. 92C is max and the card can actually handle more but that's rated max from manufacturer. No need to put up with that much fan noise to keep it under 70C wink.gif

post #2660 of 7855 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop24 View Post

The price of the new Waterforce cards are ~$250 USD more than the G1's in my country. And I want two of them. I wanted the silence and the ability to max them and never thermal throttle but I can't justify that price difference can I? I mean I game with headphones on anyways so who cares about sound r-right guys?

Consider this and an EK water block for a G1.. Not sure if it would be cheaper but it would be expandable. The waterforce does have an upgraded PCB and another 6-pin power connector (same as the extreme board) that could come in handy (we don't know yet if even needed).

Just something to consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in