GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 500 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #4991 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyDancer View Post

So did you guys noticed a decrease in the max over clock you can do with the latest drivers ? I used to be able to run 1520 / 8000 before for an hour of FFXV in 4K and now I'm down to 1505 / 8000. Max temps 72 (dunno if this is good ?)

I'm a bit disappointed with my card, given it has 79,8% ASIC quality...

Drivers lately haven't gone through the greatest QC and sometimes they can absolutely "make or break" your experience. There are people rolling back all the time and stopped even wanting to try new drivers. Having said that, the latest drivers v365.19 have been pretty stable for me I was able to make the 1640Mhz SLI O/C video with this latest driver which was the same maximum speed I was able to get with the older driver I had used when I first overclocked that high. I don't think I am experiencing lower overclocking with this driver anyway at least @ 4K (I mostly test @ 4K).

Your ASIC% is excellent but that's indirectly, not directly related to your maximum stable overclock. If you were stable at a higher speed before, you have to also ensure you are comparing the same benchmark/game using identical settings. The maximum overclock you can reach is going to always be specific to that software when you "dial it in". For example I can run Catzilla 4K @ 1640Mhz but the maximum I could run FFXIV is closer to 1610Mhz.. GTA V / Witcher 3 is pretty demanding and I might have to drop to 1580Mhz.

Some people prefer to NOT dial things in.. they just want a single speed that will work with everything.. for that you have to find your maximum stable overclock under the worst case scenario. A hot room, the most demanding GPU workload you can throw at it (please don't use furmark/kombuster they are really only good for heat and power testing IMO) over an extended period.

The way I test stability is to strap into the gaming chair, open my most graphically intensive game, max out ALL the settings to make it hard for my GPUs and just play the game and have fun. Keep OSD temp monitoring on. Expect some crashes and possibly artifacts. If they happen, just reboot, lower the overclock -10Mhz (I think you really need to test in 10Mhz increments, 5Mhz is just a waste of time) and strap yourself back in for some more gaming. When you've been able to have a good 1-2 hour intense gaming session without issue you've found the stable O/C.

It's always possible some new benchmark or game will push our GPUs harder than ever and we may need to back down the overclock even more.. it's part of what we have to do when overclocking smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post

Re this 980ti g1
At stock bios core B 1491 8000 mem but with with V rel

With bios mod Core B 1555+ 8000mem no caps prefs still in testing phase all this as this is a new 2nd hand card but thus far seems to be handling very well.

will be pushing this more today.

Its performing much better than the other G1 i had which had a way much higher ASIC ... had the same thing with ASIC before with a few 970's i was system building with ....turned out 1 of the lower ASIC one's performed better ...

The other g1 i had was 76 ASIC but did not do well as this one with only an ASIC of 65.7

So i take all this ASIC thing with a grain of salt...

^^ This smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback.

ASIC% is just the voltage that is required to reach the maximum overclock. The value of that maximum overclock is silicon lottery.

Quote:

Laithan, I have a questio regarding my G1 980Ti. My 1500/8000 O/C crashed after 2H of FFXV. When I'm putting 1525/8000, it crashes in 10 mins. I'm trying 1495 now. If it crashes 2H into a bench, can it be that the issue is a PSU issue ?

No I think it is heat. Especially FFXIV in a loop (OMG) I hope you are monitoring temps closely.

The stress testing that you are doing is pretty brutal but it does bring up a good point. A 980Ti on AIR is a challenge to keep happy. As good as the cooler is over a long period of time the ambient temps in the room are going to increase (the heat output from these cards is significant) and if you are looping tests you're going to need to compensate for all the additional heat. The case would need to be open (mandatory), supplemental fans on the GPU backplate (Ghetto tech) and/or other fans dedicated to keep the GPU(s) cool. Fan blowing in the room and airflow (open doors in the room). Otherwise to be honest, I would expect it to crash.

Also JIC important tip: ALWAYS reboot after a crash. As tempting as it is to "keep on going" it's not a good idea and you can expect weird problems. A simple reboot always clears everything up.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4992 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

I deleted my previous 4K video of DOOM @ 1600Mhz because I realized I wasn't actually using max settings. I saw "Ultra" and assumed that that the highest but a couple of the settings have a "Nightmare" graphics setting. This one is truly max, even using maximum AA @ 4K!

Surprisingly the SINGLE GPU held up pretty well. I definitely noticed lag and I can't wait to see what the Vulkan patch does (and SLI profile).

comparing my GPU to an overclocked GTX 1080 (I think mine is faster tongue.gif)

post #4993 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I think my temps are fine. I've been looping for two hours now at 1495 / 8000 and I'm peaking at 71C. I suppose it's stable now. It sees to me tho, because temps are fine. Might it be the VRM modules that are overheating and making it crash ? I read about your experience going from air to water and passing the 1580 cap (it think it was). Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with my OC frown.gif thanks for your feedback. And congrats on your 1640, that's high holly molly !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4994 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Nice video Laithan mate, btw what is the OSD you using, its nice?
post #4995 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I think my temps are fine. I've been looping for two hours now at 1495 / 8000 and I'm peaking at 71C. I suppose it's stable now. It sees to me tho, because temps are fine. Might it be the VRM modules that are overheating and making it crash ? I read about your experience going from air to water and passing the 1580 cap (it think it was). Anyway, I'm pretty disappointed with my OC frown.gif thanks for your feedback. And congrats on your 1640, that's high holly molly !
My WF3OC 980 ti is the same, probably VRM overheating yep, the gpu temps are fine, because they do not increase with overclocking, only the fan speed increase and not really noticeable.
post #4996 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

Thank you! tongue.gif

Yes it could be the VRMs which is why we want to keep the voltage at a moderate level on AIR.

I wouldn't be disappointed really.. The difference between 1495 and 1550 isn't much to be honest. 1500Mhz is average. You've still got a super fast GPU and still getting all the same benefits of the MOD BIOS.

thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolayNeykov View Post

Nice video Laithan mate, btw what is the OSD you using, its nice?

Thank you biggrin.gif

It's just MSI AB customized on the left side and on the right is built into DOOM.

post #4997 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

I deleted my previous 4K video of DOOM @ 1600Mhz because I realized I wasn't actually using max settings. I saw "Ultra" and assumed that that the highest but a couple of the settings have a "Nightmare" graphics setting. This one is truly max, even using maximum AA @ 4K!

Surprisingly the SINGLE GPU held up pretty well. I definitely noticed lag and I can't wait to see what the Vulkan patch does (and SLI profile).
But imagine what a 1080 G1 could do with your tweak abilities. smile.gif

I've said I'm planning to go 1070, but I've recently came across an AIO watercooled EVGA 980ti for $450. I might splurge and get a 980Ti, 1080 or wait for a 1080Ti. I have a 60Hz 4K panel and if I get a card that maxes it out, I won't need one again for a looong time. Anything less, I think I'll have an itch.

|| 7820X @ 4.5Ghz | GTX1080Ti | TUF MARK 1 X299 | 32GB | 970 Pro 1TB | Define R4 | Air | Silent ||
post #4998 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 20)
Quote:

What helped me alot was triple buffering in CP as its openGL give it a try if you have not done so ........ basically its what nvidia are trying to sell as a feature now with the so call fast sync?
post #4999 of 7864 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Gaming Overclocker

Rep: 71 (Unique: 51)
Quote:

+Rep!

Niiiiice gaming oc bro specool.gifthumb.gifdrool.gif

I'm warning you, should you swap the 980ti's one day or another soon, for one (or two) 1080 custom like the upcoming Xtreme one of your gpu's is mine tongue.gif
Not kidding! wink.gifcheers.gif

PS:
Tell me, is the game itself having those osd infos on the right or what?

Arrow RTX
(15 items)
CPU
i9 7900X 4.8GHz @Heatkiller IV Pro
Motherboard
ROG Rampage VI Apex
GPU
RTX 2080 ti @ Vector Acetal RGB
RAM
G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW @4000
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb, 860 Evo 1Tb