GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 57 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #561 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 115 (Unique: 62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

65C, It is just an estimate for all Maxwell chips for the most part. As you pointed out, when you run a MOD BIOS you can persuade the behavior.

VRMgate.. I actually thought it was a Tom Brady joke (lmao), ah nevermind. tongue.gif
Right, my MSI 970 gaming temp throttle starts at 66c .
I guess if you run a modded bios that locks in last boost table clock then you might not notice it as your locking that clcok in 3d .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #562 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 04:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I know that this is a little OT but I need help. I'd like to upgrade my two (SLI) GTX980 G1 1.0 with Samsung ram to bios F3 with stock Gigabyte tools. I've got a G-Sync DisplayPort only monitor and no DVI to DP adapter. How can I flash successfully both DD and DP bioses?
Thank you.
post #563 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDT78 View Post

I know that this is a little OT but I need help. I'd like to upgrade my two (SLI) GTX980 G1 1.0 with Samsung ram to bios F3 with stock Gigabyte tools. I've got a G-Sync DisplayPort only monitor and no DVI to DP adapter. How can I flash successfully both DD and DP bioses?
Thank you.
From my knowledge, you don't have to flash both DD and DP. As Gigabyte emphasize, this particular G1 GTX980 has 2 bios, you just need to flash the DP bios as your monitor plug to the vga card by Display port. If you really want to flash both, that's ok and you need 2nd monitor with DVI port to plug in. Just read the vga flash manual in the Gigabyte vga bios utility tool. But flash both is waste of time as you run only with DP bios with that Gsync monitor.
For specific, I run GTX980 G1 on Asus ROG Swift plug in with DP and I only flash DP bios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #564 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectDieWC View Post

For specific, I run GTX980 G1 on Asus ROG Swift plug in with DP and I only flash DP bios.

Did you flash with NVFlash or stock tool?
Can I use my second card to flash the first one and then exchange them?
post #565 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:

Did you flash with NVFlash or stock tool?
Can I use my second card to flash the first one and then exchange them?

You don't need to do that actually (no screwdriver needed smile.gif), the process is very straightforward. You DON'T even need to disable SLI and certainly don't need to uninstall drivers. biggrin.gif

Steps to flash more than one card at a time:
(1) Disable BOTH cards in device manager (or more if you have more than 2)
(2) Open command prompt as administrator
(3) Use NVFLASH --list to list the adapters in your system. Typically the first GPU = 0, 2nd = 1, etc.
(4) Flash each card, one at a time using this command NVFLASH -i0 -6 you.rom and then NVFLASH -i1 -6 you.rom, etc.
(5) Re-enable both cards in device manager and REBOOT immediately

You will boot right back up with SLI enabled like nothing ever happened smile.gif

The BIOS you will be flashing will always be the "Active BIOS". I personally ONLY flash the DP BIOS also but if you have multiple monitor configurations, especially flex display, projectors, external displays then depending on the conifig you may need to flash both BIOS if you ever activate the other BIOS, but 95% of the time most people won't need to flash both.

DON'T set your overclock program to apply overclock at startup until you find your new values since the BIOS will change things. You will be able to adjust the sliders to a higher value also so you can re-save any overclock profiles with the sliders maxxed with the new values.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #566 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Maybe I will need to connect a secondary DVI monitor in the near future, so I'd like to flash with stock tool before, than experiment a little bit with your bios and nvflash. So my question about using one card and flash the other one was related to stock tool.
post #567 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

Maybe I will need to connect a secondary DVI monitor in the near future, so I'd like to flash with stock tool before, than experiment a little bit with your bios and nvflash. So my question about using one card and flash the other one was related to stock tool.

That's up to you but honestly, the gigabyte tool is FURTHER from stock than NVFLASH is. NVFLASH is made by NVIDIA and is what they use to flash cards. Gigabyte just tried to put a fancy wrapper around the program and make it GUI based but it is doing the same thing in the background. You won't have the ability to even pass a switch. In all honestly, the "front end GUI" program is a piece of crap and I wouldn't recommend using it to anyone. For example, I have run it, I answer NO to a question, and it proceeds with YES response. It hangs and crashes my PC also.

The OP has a link to the original gigabyte flashing instructions if you want to reference them but anyone doing this will tell you, NVFLASH is the recommended method . Don't say I didn't warn you if you want to stick with the "Giga-crap" [email protected] method. thumb.gif

PS. Secondary display doesn't mean you will use the other BIOS, you can even have 3 displays and still only use the DP BIOS, but 4 will require the other BIOS. You can reference the FLEX display configs to know if you will be using the other BIOS.

post #568 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ok, I understand. I think I will use NVFlash and leave the second BIOS (DD) not updated, id I can't do anything with it.
post #569 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

I flashed your custom bios and everything has worked perfectly on my 980 G1! I am still within my return period and am thinking about returning the 980 for a 980 ti. I am using 2 displays via DVI and was wondering what the best way to flash the stock bios back on the card would be. Since I am not using DP, would I add a .rom to the factory Gigabyte DD bios and flash using NVflash, or try to use the Gigabyte [email protected] tool like a normal bios update? Am I accurate in assuming that NVflash would have flashed the DD bios and not the DP? If I wanted to flash both, would I need to flash while connected via DP?

post #570 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by digglez View Post

I flashed your custom bios and everything has worked perfectly on my 980 G1! I am still within my return period and am thinking about returning the 980 for a 980 ti. I am using 2 displays via DVI and was wondering what the best way to flash the stock bios back on the card would be. Since I am not using DP, would I add a .rom to the factory Gigabyte DD bios and flash using NVflash, or try to use the Gigabyte [email protected] tool like a normal bios update? Am I accurate in assuming that NVflash would have flashed the DD bios and not the DP? If I wanted to flash both, would I need to flash while connected via DP?

thumb.gif Thanks for the feedback. thumb.gif

EDIT: Pasting gigabyte screenshot

When you used NVFLASH, it was flashing the active BIOS. There is no way to specify the "other" dormant BIOS that I am aware of. I would stay clear of [email protected], it is garbage. It is actually really important to get this right (DP or DD) or multi-monitor configs won't work right.

The easiest way to know for sure, since you are using both DVI ports, is to unplug your monitor from the DVI-I port (the one CLOSEST to your motherboard when the card is installed). Boot back up into windows and if you still have the same GPU clocks and same slider ranges in MSI AB, you know for sure you are on the DP BIOS or if you flashed the other one (DD).

PM me if you run into any issues. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in