GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 59 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #581 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
yes I have seen these instructions but

DVI-I = I see image on my monitor, everything seems okay
DVI-D = I see only black screen, like when monitor is sleeping... even if I replug cabel to DVI-D when PC turned off

If I turn on PC with cabel plugged in to DVI-D = black screen and if I replug cabel to DVI-I without turning PC off = normal screen, but windows acts like there is no nvidia drivers and gpu-z still shows F3 vBIOS

I am really confused now. Is it hardware issue? I am not able to swith to second vBIOS, which should be still F2 version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #582 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakydog View Post

yes I have seen these instructions but

DVI-I = I see image on my monitor, everything seems okay
DVI-D = I see only black screen, like when monitor is sleeping... even if I replug cabel to DVI-D when PC turned off

If I turn on PC with cabel plugged in to DVI-D = black screen and if I replug cabel to DVI-I without turning PC off = normal screen, but windows acts like there is no nvidia drivers and gpu-z still shows F3 vBIOS

I am really confused now. Is it hardware issue? I am not able to swith to second vBIOS, which should be still F2 version

Ok I just tested. I simplified my display to a single monitor. I was able to get video when I plugged my monitor (projector) into the DVI-I port (where I usually have it), fully shut down my PC, plugged into DVI-D and I got video right away.

I am trying to think.. What could cause that.. Do you happen to have another monitor you could try on that port? I can't think of why it wouldn't like DVI-D but who knows..

Got a DVI to D-SUB adapter and connect dvi to monitor using D-SUB instead of DVI?

Another idea, not so straightforward, would be to try and re-flash the DD BIOS. Perhaps it didn't get flashed right from the factory? You could try to use another GPU to boot windows with (don't even need to install the driver), have another monitor connected to the DVI-D port that isn't working as a secondary display, and then use NVFLASH --list to list the adapters. Your GPU should likely now be adapter 1 instead of adapter 0. You can specify flashing card #1 with NVFLASH -i1 -6 your.rom

Hmmm..

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #583 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

I have only DVI-D (single link) to DVI-D (single link) cabel, DVI-D (single link) to HDMI cabel and D-SUB to D-SUB but without adapter to DVI :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #584 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:

I have only DVI-D (single link) to DVI-D (single link) cabel, DVI-D (single link) to HDMI cabel and D-SUB to D-SUB but without adapter to DVI :-(

Bummer..well, outside of going on a "wild safari goose chase" I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't need the other BIOS. Most cards only have one anyway smile.gif. You don't have to have matching BIOS', doesn't matter at all if not using it.

post #585 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

yes, you are right, I don't use more monitors atm, but this could be nice reason for RMA in future, when it comes to new GPU ;-))

I should be able to test it with my notebook which has HDMI connector, so it will be like this DVI-I -> PC monitor, DVI-D -> notebook monitor

HDMI connector on gigabyte card is working, so I should be able to use 2 monitors if I want to
post #586 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Is this thread still alive?

I have the Gigabyte G1 970 and I have had some weird problems now

https://i.imgur.com/OuEwMth.jpg

As you can see, even with default clocks it wont keep stable core clock (doesn't help if I put the fans to 100% etc..) when playing TF2 etc.

Clocks work fine in Valley for example, and GPU load 99% etc.

So after googling a lot, I think I need custom BIOS to keep voltage on constant levels, but I have no idea how to do this so any kind of help is appreciated..

I have a PCIE2.0 mobo so is that an issue for the BIOS in the start post? I flashed the latest Gigabyte BIOS earlier today.

My last GTX 590 I fried even without touching voltages so I am really afraid to kill these cards mad.gif

Additional pic (GPU-Z):
https://i.imgur.com/eMvm1fU.png

I could do an overwatch in CS:GO with clocks being constant, but some games (Dota2, TF2, ...) give these spikes. These might be some kinda bug in drivers cause I haven't had these symptoms all the time since I bought this card..
post #587 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

I suppose there is no need to copy-paste your vbios to mine, right? Your vBIOS is based on the same one. Should I flash your vBIOS without worries? :-)

post #588 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hi Tom...,

I believe you need to increase your power limit and voltage to sustain the higher clock speeds. You may see increased heat but as long as the temps don't hit 80+ you should be ok.

post #589 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomimoi42 View Post

Is this thread still alive?

I have the Gigabyte G1 970 and I have had some weird problems now

As you can see, even with default clocks it wont keep stable core clock (doesn't help if I put the fans to 100% etc..) when playing TF2 etc.

Clocks work fine in Valley for example, and GPU load 99% etc.

So after googling a lot, I think I need custom BIOS to keep voltage on constant levels, but I have no idea how to do this so any kind of help is appreciated..

I have a PCIE2.0 mobo so is that an issue for the BIOS in the start post? I flashed the latest Gigabyte BIOS earlier today.

My last GTX 590 I fried even without touching voltages so I am really afraid to kill these cards mad.gif

I could do an overwatch in CS:GO with clocks being constant, but some games (Dota2, TF2, ...) give these spikes. These might be some kinda bug in drivers cause I haven't had these symptoms all the time since I bought this card..

Hi there, a couple reasons. One, it could be because those games don't push the GPU hard enough. If they are older games and/or don't have complex graphics, shaders, etc. your card won't run at full boost speed all the time. That's perfectly normal when this happens and why Precision offers "K boost" (which I don't use).

On the other hand, in your pic I see a lot of voltage perfcaps. Throttling can occur from lack of voltage, lack of power or too much heat. When people are seeing throttling below 65C temps, it is usually because the card is limited and this is where a custom vBIOS can help. PCI-e 2.0 is perfectly fine. I run that also. I also had a GTX 590 and they were really a bad engineering design. That's a VERY different GPU and not comparable to Maxwell. Maxwell runs so cool and efficient that putting the cards under H2O doesn't even give much advantage mad.gif. Anyway, you need to hard-mod these cards before you will fry one. They pretty much self-protect these days.

I would recommend you look for a MAXWELL FLASHING tutorial to get yourself familiar. I have posted some links and some information in the OP. When you are confident and brave, come back and post your BIOS if you need help modifying it, I can help thumb.gif Don't worry, it isn't as scary as it sounds smile.gif

Quote:

I suppose there is no need to copy-paste your vbios to mine, right? Your vBIOS is based on the same one. Should I flash your vBIOS without worries? :-)

You are one of the lucky ones. Yup! Flash directly for you smile.gif

post #590 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRev_olution View Post

Hi Tom...,

I believe you need to increase your power limit and voltage to sustain the higher clock speeds. You may see increased heat but as long as the temps don't hit 80+ you should be ok.

^ Yes a great point I failed to mention. I am assuming you are running your card with the Voltage / Power % sliders MAXed out in your fav overclocking app. If not, please do and try again. You want to try and keep your temps below 65C if you can. The card can HANDLE up to ~90C safely, but you will be throttling all the way starting at ~65C. A custom fan curve is usually needed when overclocking beyond factory overclocks and especially when using a modified BIOS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in