GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 63 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #621 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Just for curiosities sake, if you take the stock 980 / 980 Ti version of this card and flash this BIOS to it WITHOUT doing any extra over-clocking can you still take advantage of the extra core and boost clocks that are set by default in this modded BIOS? biggrin.gif

Yes, using this BIOS will give you quite a few benefits over a stock BIOS even if you don't overclock further beyond the BIOS stock clocks such as removing perfcaps and virtually eliminating throttling. To be clear though, this BIOS is overclocking the GPU already for you to a "conservative" speed of 1291Mhz core / 1531Mhz boost.

You will however still need to USE an overclocking application to get that full potential because you need to access the VOLTAGE and POWER % sliders to maxx them out.

EDIT: To let everyone know, I started working on a version of the BIOS that would not require an overclocking app to be used to give the max potential by default, and I got it to work, but I won't be posting it. I was able to get the Power to be maxxed out by default with no issue.. However, in order to get the voltage to max out, I had to essentially disable the voltage slider and use a fixed voltage. This combination resulted in nvlddmkm.sys errors during a certain sequence/action. I was able to re-create the issue on demand. I felt that it is not stable even though the sequence/action isn't likely to occur I didn't want to take any chances posting something I know would be an issue for some.

So like it or not, an overclocking app will still be required thumb.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 137 (Unique: 110)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Yes, using this BIOS will give you quite a few benefits over a stock BIOS even if you don't overclock further beyond the BIOS stock clocks such as removing perfcaps and virtually eliminating throttling. To be clear though, this BIOS is overclocking the GPU already for you to a "conservative" speed of 1291Mhz core / 1531Mhz boost.

You will however still need to USE an overclocking application to get that full potential because you need to access the VOLTAGE and POWER % sliders to maxx them out.

Ah I see, that is easy enough seeing as I use MSI AB as well. Thanks for the quick response! biggrin.gif
post #623 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectDieWC View Post

Appreciated your quick response smile.gif
I'm still on stock cooling so I just push a little bit and test at my own risk :v btw, super stable custom bios. Thank you very much.
My friend here has 980 ti G1 and it is pushing pretty high oc on stock cooling. Hope you will soon release a custom bios for it

Excellent thanks for the feedback. You can push it, just try to keep your temps under 65C if you can (use a custom fan curve).

Please share this thread with your friend, we are waiting for someone with a 980Ti to come have some fun with us tongue.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #624 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I finally just flashed your bios on my 980 SLI. Can you give me some tip to start overclock a little? I'm on air. I need some good and safe values to start from and a good fan profile. I currently use EVGA Precision (latest version) but I you think I should switch to something else (MSI, etc.) let me know. Give me informations about softwares I can use for testing my overclock.

I forgot: my ASIC are 80,2 for the first card, and 75.8 for the second. Both are revision 1.0 with samsung memory.

Thank you.
post #625 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDT78 View Post

I finally just flashed your bios on my 980 SLI. Can you give me some tip to start overclock a little? I'm on air. I need some good and safe values to start from and a good fan profile. I currently use EVGA Precision (latest version) but I you think I should switch to something else (MSI, etc.) let me know. Give me informations about softwares I can use for testing my overclock.

I forgot: my ASIC are 80,2 for the first card, and 75.8 for the second. Both are revision 1.0 with samsung memory.

Thank you.

Hi there, sure I can help. tongue.gif

In the OP I have a section on "How to use this BIOS"' and also "How I test", take a peek there.

Since you are in SLI (me too) your overclocking app should be synchronizing the GPUs. You don't need to use MSI AB, that's just my preference because I can use a skin that isn't super cluttered and wacky..

You are looking to overclock so you will want to ensure that the voltage and power % sliders are maxxed out all the way. This allows the full potential of the GPU. The BIOS defaults are 1291Mhz CORE and 1531Mhz BOOST. This is while leaving the GPU and MEMORY at +0 Mhz. Start out testing at this speed first and then add +10Mhz until you get obvious artifacts. Use something stable and proven to test like 3DMark firestrike.

Your memory overclock shouldn't really improve, there is no change to memory. Overclock your GPU by itself at first leaving memory at +0 to make sure you can differentiate between memory and GPU instability.

If you freeze, that's a TDR and you overclocked more than the GPU can handle.

Make sure to set a custom fan curve to try and keep the GPU 65C and below if possible.

Good luck!

post #626 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

UPDATE:

Early version 1 beta for Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming
biggrin.gif

Early V1 test notes:
* Based on Max Unleashed BIOS for 980.
* Using the Gigabyte D_P F3 BIOS for 980Ti rev 1.0
* Same max voltage 1.281v / similar voltage curve
* GPU core = 1291Mhz
* Boost = 1481Mhz
* Power % slider limit 100% - 150%
* Max power and TDP increased
* PCIe power increased

NVIDIA made a change. Voltage slider no longer adjustable in GM200 BIOS as well as another useful voltage adjustment. mad.gif Need testers. Curious if it will remove perfcaps on a 980Ti. I don't know if it will remove perfcaps. I cannot test this personally.

I'm not posting this on the OP yet. You will only know about it if you follow the thread wink.gif

post #627 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Another small thing: Should I use 2 8pin connectors for vga or 1 dual 6+2pin connector. I'm using Corsair AX760i with single GTX980 G1? I wonder if it affects my overclocking at all?
post #628 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 02:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ok I'll start trying with GPU. Then should I leave memory as it is or should I try to overclock it too? it0s not clear to me.

EDIT: ok... this are my results without overclock. I tried Fire Strike Extreme and got 11051 score. But temps go over 65° and reach about 73-75°, fans are setted with default "aggressive" profile from EVGA Precision X and become very very noisy, stayed at 98% during benchmark... No artifacts, but too much heat and noise.
What should I do?
post #629 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectDieWC View Post

Another small thing: Should I use 2 8pin connectors for vga or 1 dual 6+2pin connector. I'm using Corsair AX760i with single GTX980 G1? I wonder if it affects my overclocking at all?

It is always best when your PCI-e cables come directly from your PS. Each PCI-e plug has a dedicated PCI-e cable. If you double up your 12V PCI-e you can starve the GPU of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDT78 View Post

Ok I'll start trying with GPU. Then should I leave memory as it is or should I try to overclock it too? it0s not clear to me.

EDIT: ok... this are my results without overclock. I tried Fire Strike Extreme and got 11051 score. But temps go over 65° and reach about 73-75°, fans are setted with default "aggressive" profile from EVGA Precision X and become very very noisy, stayed at 98% during benchmark... No artifacts, but too much heat and noise.
What should I do?

You can O/C memory also but just do it after you've reached your max stable GPU O/C. This BIOS should allow max memory overclock and max GPU overclock at the same time.

The noise is one of the biggest reasons people water cool. The best advice I can give is that OTHERS are able to keep the card cooler than that. You want to try and keep it 65C or below. There are some tricks/tips you can think about:

(1) Test with your case OPEN. Most people don't have a real good understanding about airflow in a case. They focus on exhaust fans but don't balance intake with exhaust. You need to move air through the case, not attempt to just exhaust the hot air. If you don't balance this it will also create air noise from either too much positive pressure or too much negative pressure.

(2) Clean the case, blow it out with compressed air (an actual compressor is best just be careful not too much pressure on fans) to ensure that dust and blocked vents are not working against you.

(3) Tie up your wires very neatly in the case, hide as many wires as you can. If you notice my PC pics, it is almost completely open inside, no airflow restrictions at all so air comes in easily and leaves easily.

(4) Use supplemental fans. Depending on you card and your airflow you need to figure out where to mount the extra fan(s). I nice trick I use is to take a quality 80mm fan (as large as the GPU size) and I push large tie-wraps through the screw holes. The width of the tie-wrap fits snug when you push through the hole. The top of the tie wraps on all 4 holes I use as little "feet" for the fan. Adjust and cut them all evenly and you can a fan with 4 little adjustable feet you can rest right on top of your GPU or somewhere else to get air blowing at it. This way the air your GPU is taking in has already been a bit pre-cooled.

(5) Ensure your case is placed where it is getting plenty of cool air. If you have it tucked away inside the cabinet of your desk, that = overheat. Make sure there is at least 2 feet all around your case and nothing is blocking air flow. Don't have it sitting under a window where the sun in hitting it.

(6) Re-arrange PCI-e slots if you can so there isn't anything directly over or under your GPU.

(7) Use a house fan to move air around the area of your PC is sometimes needed. It is almost SUMMER and we need to get creative.

Lastly, high overclocks = more performance = more heat so we have to adjust accordingly, This is expected thumb.gif

post #630 of 7864 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
1481 Mhz on gtx980ti sounds really awesome! But I'm afraid it would be rather 1420-1440 Mhz for long-term stability according to these tests http://www.computerbase.de/2015-06/geforce-gtx-980-ti-custom-test-partnerkarten-vergleich/4/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in