GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 785 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #7841 of 7849 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 499 (Unique: 264)
Quote: Originally Posted by ssiperko View Post
Thanks, but where are the 2060 scores?

Not here https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-b...-top-30-a.html
or here https://www.overclock.net/forum/21-b...-0-scores.html
either

Although I do see some 2080Ti scores

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7842 of 7849 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Oh well, would be fun.. hopefully some 2060 owners see the challenge. I don't want to go cluttering up a 2060 thread lol.

Looking at the specs the 980Ti and the 2060 are pretty similar... faster memory but half the interface bandwidth... ends up even for throughput... sets up a good match for GPU core performance.

14 Gbps Memory
6 GB GDDR6
201.6 GT/s Texture Fill Rate
192-bit Memory Interface Width
336 GB/s Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

980Ti
7.0 Gbps Memory
6 GB GDDR5
176 GT/s Texture Fill Rate
384-bit Memory Interface Width
336.5 Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

post #7843 of 7849 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quiet lately... everyone too busy not wasting minutes of their lives without ray tracing? lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7844 of 7849 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 PM
Overclock Enthusiast

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
To anyone still on serie 9 wondering about the OC on 20 series and the lack of Bios MOD, I would like to share some useful info.

- If your serie 20 card is reporting voltage limitations on perfcap, you can use manual voltage curve overclock to lock your card on the maximum allowed voltage (1093mv), which was one of the main points of bios mod on serie 9.
- If your perfcap is reporting power limitations, bios cross-flashing is a reality on 20 series. Most cards work just fine with bios from other vendors, even custom PCB vs reference PCB bios works. So if your card has a low power limit, just test a few high power bioses and you will most likely find some that works w/o issue.
- For extreme overclockers, who usually go on TI cards, there are some very good bios out there with even 1000W power limit to try out.

I know is not the same but just wanted to share this info, because (for me) while is not the same, those things kind of make bios modding really not necessary.

I wasn't planing to upgrade but had to, and I don't care about RT (right now) because is obviously a new thing and it will take a few generations to mature.
But the raw performance jump from a 980 TI that couldn't even make 1500 Mhz on core to a 2080 that can deliver 2145 Mhz is amazing.

Peace.

» Intel i7 8700K delided 5Ghz | » EVGA CLC 280 watercooler | » Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | » G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3400Mhz CL16
» EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra OC: 2175/8250 @ Kraken G12/x42 | » Dell S2716DG 27' 144Hz G-Sync (DP) + LG 49UJ6525 4K [email protected] (HDMI)
» Sentey 80 Plus Gold 1000W | » Thermaltake Core x71 TG | » Windows 10 Pro 1709 build 16299.1059
post #7845 of 7849 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

I guess it has been a while now and Maxwell is considered "old" now but honestly I'm still extremely happy with my 980Ti's... I honestly don't feel that they are old at all. I am the kind of person that plays with all the setting on max and @ 4K and I figured by now that new AAA titles would be crippling my GPUs but they just aren't... I can play anything with 0 complaints... there's really not yet been a reason for me to upgrade although I know 6GB vram is getting dated. I do admit that my success @ 4K is dependent upon SLI being supported because of course a single 980Ti cannot handle 4K/60. Fortunately the only games I really have that do not support SLI are ID software games and I just had to play them in 1440p.

Which to me highlights what a 980Ti is... it is a solid 1440p GPU... if you don't have a 4K monitor and don't plan on getting one any time soon a single 980Ti is an excellent choice used and these cards were really NOT part of the mining craze so used GPUs are not going to be likely to have been run 24/7 as a mining card. 980/980Ti's seem to have been forgotten... not included on most recent benchmark scores... and I'm really not sure why...because they are still really fast GPUs and absolutely still relevant in 2019.

The most comparable modern GPU I think would probably be the RTX 2060. A 2060 vs 980Ti should be an interesting showdown. A few posts ago I wanted (and still want) to do some benchmarks with someone as this specific comparison is hard to find... and to also compare boost consistency, perfcaps and performance dips due to throttling (we'll log it). Maybe someone will be willing to take me up on my offer if you have a 2060. For the $$ a 2060 is more expensive because it has RTX... I guess I am surprised that this thread hasn't been active again since the Gigabyte 980/980Ti's have dropped in price significantly over time (and the Omega of BIOS modding).

post #7846 of 7849 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Figured I would check in... I'm still loving my 980Ti's... not sure if anyone else has still held on to Maxwell... I'm honestly not complaining yet... "it still just works"

post #7847 of 7849 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by fleps View Post
To anyone still on serie 9 wondering about the OC on 20 series and the lack of Bios MOD, I would like to share some useful info.

- If your serie 20 card is reporting voltage limitations on perfcap, you can use manual voltage curve overclock to lock your card on the maximum allowed voltage (1093mv), which was one of the main points of bios mod on serie 9.
Yes I am getting Vrel and VOP perfcaps on my 970. I think I am gonna try increasing my voltage to 1225. However checking the FTW and SSC versions their voltages seem drastically different. Most of them have much wider ranges. Does having lower minimums lead to more power saving? Should I change my bios to match theirs? And what about the top voltage(picture 1)? Is that the max?

Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
Figured I would check in... I'm still loving my 980Ti's... not sure if anyone else has still held on to Maxwell... I'm honestly not complaining yet... "it still just works"
I think 9 and 10 series are the golden age of Nvidia tbh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	970 Voltage Bios 1.png
Views:	5
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	270680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	970 Voltage Bios 2.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	270682  

Redpilled Current Rig Ryzen 5-1600/XFX Black Edition RX-580/Asus x370 Pro-Gaming/Geil Super Luce 3000hz 16GB/
post #7848 of 7849 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by RamenRider View Post
Yes I am getting Vrel and VOP perfcaps on my 970. I think I am gonna try increasing my voltage to 1225. However checking the FTW and SSC versions their voltages seem drastically different. Most of them have much wider ranges. Does having lower minimums lead to more power saving? Should I change my bios to match theirs? And what about the top voltage(picture 1)? Is that the max?

I think 9 and 10 series are the golden age of Nvidia tbh.
hey there... What GPU do you actually have? Some of the EVGA 970's are voltage locked, depends on the specific model.

Those minimum values were raised on some BIOS' to help with a rare issue that could cause the GPU to freeze when using power management. They have nothing to do with performance under load as those CLKs in your screenshot are all under the GPU's "default" speed and of course also under the "boost" speeds as those start around CLK 60's (where the minimum voltage would be over 1.10v). Those values are only to "step up" the voltages as the GPU boosts. Think of it like climbing a set of stairs and every stair higher you need slightly more voltage to get you up since you are going faster each step also. The first few CLKs needed a boost to "get up and get going" .

Actually adjusting minimum voltages on any CLK isn't going to help with voltage perfcaps. Voltage perfcaps can only be eliminated by syncing maximum voltages (allowing the same voltage as defined in the CLK tables "maximum" at CLK74) to what the maximum voltage allowed will be (this is a different set of sliders, the first 3 actually). The 970 BIOS' posted in the OP all have the perfcaps removed if you want to compare.

post #7849 of 7849 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
hey there... What GPU do you actually have? Some of the EVGA 970's are voltage locked, depends on the specific model.

Those minimum values were raised on some BIOS' to help with a rare issue that could cause the GPU to freeze when using power management. They have nothing to do with performance under load as those CLKs in your screenshot are all under the GPU's "default" speed and of course also under the "boost" speeds as those start around CLK 60's (where the minimum voltage would be over 1.10v). Those values are only to "step up" the voltages as the GPU boosts. Think of it like climbing a set of stairs and every stair higher you need slightly more voltage to get you up since you are going faster each step also. The first few CLKs needed a boost to "get up and get going" .

Actually adjusting minimum voltages on any CLK isn't going to help with voltage perfcaps. Voltage perfcaps can only be eliminated by syncing maximum voltages (allowing the same voltage as defined in the CLK tables "maximum" at CLK74) to what the maximum voltage allowed will be (this is a different set of sliders, the first 3 actually). The 970 BIOS' posted in the OP all have the perfcaps removed if you want to compare.
I have the evga 970 sc acx 2.0 https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...70-4096-150107. Should I update my bios to the latest version? I hear sc and vanilla versions are cross compatible but ftw and ssc are a totally different group.

Well I've tried uping the volts to 1250, and I'd get only vrel and less fps. Then 1237 which was pretty much the same. Then 1225 and it was the least stable out of all of them, causes me to crash. All of these were unOC'd with the exception of 110% power limit. Back to original BIOS and it is really stable OC at +136 core and +403 mem clock but clocks seem to go down from 1512 to 1490s due to perfcaps. Vrel Vop and PWR. FPS is the most on stock BIOS but doesn't seem to change much on 300fps low settings overwatch. Maybe I should increase settings.

>Actually adjusting minimum voltages on any CLK isn't going to help with voltage perfcaps. Voltage perfcaps can only be eliminated by syncing maximum voltages (allowing the same voltage as defined in the CLK tables "maximum" at CLK74) to what the maximum voltage allowed will be (this is a different set of sliders, the first 3 actually). The 970 BIOS' posted in the OP all have the perfcaps removed if you want to compare.

I used only the right(max) sliders from the top voltage table up until the P05 row to increase max voltage, maybe that's why it's not as stable? I understand minimum volts don't help, but will they help with power saving? I want both energy efficiency and performance when I need it. Also perhaps leaving MSI AB and GPUz on while flashing are probably some of the reasons why the volt bios mods were unstable.

Redpilled Current Rig Ryzen 5-1600/XFX Black Edition RX-580/Asus x370 Pro-Gaming/Geil Super Luce 3000hz 16GB/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in