GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 786 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #7851 of 7858 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
Figured I would check in... I'm still loving my 980Ti's... not sure if anyone else has still held on to Maxwell... I'm honestly not complaining yet... "it still just works"
I'm still holding on to Maxwell as well! I've been through the GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 960 (as a secondary card alongside the GTX 980 for some CUDA stuff - now used standalone in a different computer), and just a few months back I finally upgraded to a GTX 980 Ti because 4 GB of VRAM wasn't cutting it anymore (while I had briefly considered getting 10-series card instead, my budget couldn't stretch far enough for a GTX 1080, there weren't really any used 1070 Ti cards at decent prices (nor was it really that attractive), and the 1070 wasn't really an appealing alternative to a 980 Ti).

Every single one of those has been a Gigabyte G1 Gaming model running on air, and every one has been BIOS modded. I've only re-pasted one of them though (the GTX 980, using Gelid GC Extreme), and I'm rather hesitant to re-paste the 980 Ti because some of its thermal pads look like they're in somewhat rough shape and all of the thermal pads have dirt on their edges which I definitely don't want to risk trapping underneath the pads (as the entire card has at least a bit of stubborn dirt residue on it I'm guessing that the previous owner either ran this thing in a really dirty environment or was a smoker who did an exceptionally good job of removing the smell, or heck, maybe both!). Would you happen to have any idea where I could find decent replacement thermal pads for the GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD? I noticed your post a few pages back where you mentioned "Fujipoly premium pads", but some digging on Google has revealed a bunch of different types of Fujipoly thermal pads and I'm not quite about the correct type (or even the sizing TBH)... I found someone else (empyr) who used these pads, their thread says "I used 1mm for VRM and 1.5mm for vRAM. Ultra Extreme Fujipoly pads, been doing well", is that correct? Keep in mind that I'm not switching to a aftermarket cooler, I just want to replace the pads while keeping the same stock Gigabyte cooler, so I'm not sure that the sizes empyr is quoting would even be right for this case... So far I can't find anyone else via Google who replaced the pads with those while keeping the stock cooler . Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, this thread and your posts in it has been an invaluable guide countless times in many different ways, thank you so much for all the work you've put into it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7852 of 7858 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 500 (Unique: 265)
Quote: Originally Posted by NullARC10 View Post
I'm still holding on to Maxwell as well! I've been through the GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 960 (as a secondary card alongside the GTX 980 for some CUDA stuff - now used standalone in a different computer), and just a few months back I finally upgraded to a GTX 980 Ti because 4 GB of VRAM wasn't cutting it anymore (while I had briefly considered getting 10-series card instead, my budget couldn't stretch far enough for a GTX 1080, there weren't really any used 1070 Ti cards at decent prices (nor was it really that attractive), and the 1070 wasn't really an appealing alternative to a 980 Ti).

Every single one of those has been a Gigabyte G1 Gaming model running on air, and every one has been BIOS modded. I've only re-pasted one of them though (the GTX 980, using Gelid GC Extreme), and I'm rather hesitant to re-paste the 980 Ti because some of its thermal pads look like they're in somewhat rough shape and all of the thermal pads have dirt on their edges which I definitely don't want to risk trapping underneath the pads (as the entire card has at least a bit of stubborn dirt residue on it I'm guessing that the previous owner either ran this thing in a really dirty environment or was a smoker who did an exceptionally good job of removing the smell, or heck, maybe both!). Would you happen to have any idea where I could find decent replacement thermal pads for the GV-N98TG1 GAMING-6GD? I noticed your post a few pages back where you mentioned "Fujipoly premium pads", but some digging on Google has revealed a bunch of different types of Fujipoly thermal pads and I'm not quite about the correct type (or even the sizing TBH)... I found someone else (empyr) who used these pads, their thread says "I used 1mm for VRM and 1.5mm for vRAM. Ultra Extreme Fujipoly pads, been doing well", is that correct? Keep in mind that I'm not switching to a aftermarket cooler, I just want to replace the pads while keeping the same stock Gigabyte cooler, so I'm not sure that the sizes empyr is quoting would even be right for this case... So far I can't find anyone else via Google who replaced the pads with those while keeping the stock cooler . Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, this thread and your posts in it has been an invaluable guide countless times in many different ways, thank you so much for all the work you've put into it!

Thanks for the comments! Sounds like you've been a long time lurker
It is going to be difficult to justify Maxwell when used 2070's get closer to a used 980Ti but I think there's still a little life left in the good 'ol GM200

It was a wise move to not remove the cooler without first getting some replacement pads. The stock pads are pretty brittle (especially when old) and once they rip they are basically useless. I have EK Full cover blocks installed so I can only say I am about 90% sure about the pads for a stock cooler. What I do know is that the VRAM pads are THICKER than the VRM pads. I would say your VRAM uses 1.5mm and the VRM uses 1.0mm. Someone asked Gigabyte and I think they actually gave an answer and it was posted here a long time ago but that might be really hard to find in this thread lol. I could be wrong but I think that's what you need.

17.0 W/mK is the best. The prices are a lot cheaper than when I bought them <sigh>

I'd recommend some Kryonaut TIM while you're at it, especially since it's not electrically conductive.

Good luck!

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #7853 of 7858 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the comments! Sounds like you've been a long time lurker
It is going to be difficult to justify Maxwell when used 2070's get closer to a used 980Ti but I think there's still a little life left in the good 'ol GM200

It was a wise move to not remove the cooler without first getting some replacement pads. The stock pads are pretty brittle (especially when old) and once they rip they are basically useless. I have EK Full cover blocks installed so I can only say I am about 90% sure about the pads for a stock cooler. What I do know is that the VRAM pads are THICKER than the VRM pads. I would say your VRAM uses 1.5mm and the VRM uses 1.0mm. Someone asked Gigabyte and I think they actually gave an answer and it was posted here a long time ago but that might be really hard to find in this thread lol. I could be wrong but I think that's what you need.

17.0 W/mK is the best. The prices are a lot cheaper than when I bought them <sigh>

I'd recommend some Kryonaut TIM while you're at it, especially since it's not electrically conductive.

Good luck!
Hey mate I use your bios and it always drop my MHZ when I use furmark https://i.imgur.com/FBDiHSY.png can you check your PM, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7854 of 7858 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by requnael View Post
Hey mate I use your bios and it always drop my MHZ when I use furmark https://i.imgur.com/FBDiHSY.png can you check your PM, please?
Sorry, I don't check PMs often.

Furmark is a power virus and this is expected behavior. It is really good at 2 things only (and one of them is not stability testing)...
(1) To draw maximum power
(2) To generate maximum heat.

This is along the lines of running your engine at full throttle while in park. I wouldn't recommend that you use Furmark, it is not good for your GPU or VRMs. If you are looking for stability testing try running FFXIV free benchmark @ maximum settings in a loop for about 3-5 runs.

I also don't know if you had BOTH the voltage and power % sliders maxxed out but this is required to allow the full power and voltage configured in the BIOS. Anything less will be restricted by design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slidersmaxxed.png
Views:	2
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	274024  

post #7855 of 7858 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry, I don't check PMs often.

Furmark is a power virus and this is expected behavior. It is really good at 2 things only (and one of them is not stability testing)...
(1) To draw maximum power
(2) To generate maximum heat.

This is along the lines of running your engine at full throttle while in park. I wouldn't recommend that you use Furmark, it is not good for your GPU or VRMs. If you are looking for stability testing try running FFXIV free benchmark @ maximum settings in a loop for about 3-5 runs.

I also don't know if you had BOTH the voltage and power % sliders maxxed out but this is required to allow the full power and voltage configured in the BIOS. Anything less will be restricted by design.
There is any chance get your telegram/discord ? can you send me one to pm ,polease?
post #7856 of 7858 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

first congratulate the creator of the thread because it is magnificent and very interesting, the second thank the enormous work done.

although I have been using a bios mod for over a year in my magnificent 980ti extrem with great results, I am having problems and I can not find the msi afterburner on page 1.

my slider of the core voltage does not rise of 87% I was wondering if they could pass me the correct version.
post #7857 of 7858 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by Dekopro View Post
first congratulate the creator of the thread because it is magnificent and very interesting, the second thank the enormous work done.

although I have been using a bios mod for over a year in my magnificent 980ti extrem with great results, I am having problems and I can not find the msi afterburner on page 1.

my slider of the core voltage does not rise of 87% I was wondering if they could pass me the correct version.
<blush> Thanks bud... It used to be more organized but it didn't make it through a conversion too well. I appreciate your kind words!

With regard to the values that you see (Power % and Voltage mV) they are actually are read from the values set in the BIOS. No matter which version of MSI AB that you use, those values won't change unless the BIOS is modified. They are essentially just the difference between default and maximum values. I can explain in more detail if helpful (if you are trying to modify them).

post #7858 of 7858 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Still waiting to see how low Maxwell cards drop. I see that some are able to grab some 980Ti's for ~$200... I'd have no problem recommending that to someone that wants to play games. These new GPU prices are just out of control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in