GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)? - Page 788 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ?(ô?ô)?

post #7871 of 7876 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Happy New Year all..

Anyone still running maxwell in 2020?

I might finally be tempted to upgrade my 980Ti's and jump right to 3080Ti (depending on the price). Red Dead Redemption 2 is now officially the only game that I cannot run at max settings (then again, almost nobody can lol) and SLI is a mess right now. I think 3080Ti might be a true single 4K/60 solution under all conditions even RDR2, but we'll see .

Just saying hello
Yes, still chugging along with a 970 here. Going to upgrade my entire system soon.

Quick question for you, has anything changed with using OC tools like evga preciscion or msi afterburner? I use a custom bios and it had been thoroughly tested. I was playing around today and noticed that gpu-z is showing that I'm hitting performance cap now which makes no sense. I haven't done anything with the bios so I was wondering if anything like the oc tools or drivers could have caused this change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7872 of 7876 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Nope, not that I have seen. You can make sure power% and voltage sliders are maxxed.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #7873 of 7876 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 07:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by Laithan View Post
Nope, not that I have seen. You can make sure power% and voltage sliders are maxxed.
I'm ashamed to say it was actually a rookie mistake I had made. After seeing your reply about the sliders I knew I had been doing that the same way all this time. It suddenly dawned on me that I had been doing some cleaning and unplugged my dvi cable...only to plug it back in to second dvi output by mistake. Swapped it back over and no more issues.

I also wanted to add that I'm also going to be keeping an eye out for the 3080Ti. I had gone with 970 last time around and this next upgrade I'm planning on going with a higher end card depending on what the price/performance looks like.

Thanks again for all of your efforts with the bios modding and of course all of the trouble shooting you have helped a lot of us out with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7874 of 7876 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Thank you, it was really fun. Wish we could have kept going...

post #7875 of 7876 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 11:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Guys, long story short, my warranty provider gave me a brand new Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 with Samsung memory instead of my AMD RX460 (luckkyyyyy as hell I know) because they no longer had RX460 in stock. First thing I did I replaced thermal paste and pads with quality stuff and added thermal pads to backside memory chips and gave them direct contact to backplate for additional cooling. Before the BIOS mod Best I could do was 70Mhz on the core, beyond that it would show artifacts and above 100 it would crash altogether. That would be 1488 clock speed. On the memory I can get +600 but before adding thermal pads on the back it wouldn't go over +300.
With this BIOS it can do 1530Mhz on the core stable and +600 and the memory. Max temp is 78 max and 250W power draw. Even tho I like to keep my room warm.
Should I be worried about future problems? I recently spent all my money on 2600x and a mobo and 16gb ram. So if anything goes wrong with this card I can't buy another one.
Is the first page up-to-date? Is there anything else I should do? I did everything according to the first page.

Thank you to the original creator. Maxwell is still a beast for 1080p gaming.
post #7876 of 7876 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote: Originally Posted by nYm776 View Post
Guys, long story short, my warranty provider gave me a brand new Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 with Samsung memory instead of my AMD RX460 (luckkyyyyy as hell I know) because they no longer had RX460 in stock. First thing I did I replaced thermal paste and pads with quality stuff and added thermal pads to backside memory chips and gave them direct contact to backplate for additional cooling. Before the BIOS mod Best I could do was 70Mhz on the core, beyond that it would show artifacts and above 100 it would crash altogether. That would be 1488 clock speed. On the memory I can get +600 but before adding thermal pads on the back it wouldn't go over +300.
With this BIOS it can do 1530Mhz on the core stable and +600 and the memory. Max temp is 78 max and 250W power draw. Even tho I like to keep my room warm.
Should I be worried about future problems? I recently spent all my money on 2600x and a mobo and 16gb ram. So if anything goes wrong with this card I can't buy another one.
Is the first page up-to-date? Is there anything else I should do? I did everything according to the first page.

Thank you to the original creator. Maxwell is still a beast for 1080p gaming.
Hey bud! Thanks for sharing, good stuff there, glad you were able to get some improvements . The SAMSUNG chips on the 970's are the best, congrats!

It was a very wise idea to refresh the GPU with some new pads/tim as well as giving the backplate some direct contact also. For those who have been around here a while know about "Ghetto cool tech" (lol) but if that's new to you, it consists of an 80mm fan with cut tie wraps in the screw holes as "feet" to blow air down on top of the back plate and away. This will make a considering difference in your backplate temps and could lead to some improved stability. I'd recommend you add that since the backplate is now an active sync to some degree.

I would not be worried about future problems at all personally... have fun with the new GPU and give it a workout. I still have both my 980Ti GPUs shoving 1.293v at them and allowing up to 475W of power each & they are both still working flawlessly. I am on water however as long as you monitor temps (as you are) and use a CUSTOM fan curve (stock curve is not great for a modified card) you should not have any issues. Too much heat is never good for any electronics but you seem to know what you are doing. I would never run FURMARK on a GPU... especially a modified one.. but that's about the only thing I wouldn't do.

I used to say GTAV and FFXIV was a good workout for the GPU but now the crown has to go to Red Dead Redemption II. I had to reduce my overclock a bit to run that stable. I actually run the game @ 1080p with ULTRA settings and it is smooth enough for me.

The MUMOD BIOS' do not have any updates. The latest versions are all still posted in the OP and you don't need to do anything else. There has not been any need to make any changes since I posted them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in