(GTX 970/GTX 980): Why Bios modding is mandatory for most cards if you want a stable overclock - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

(GTX 970/GTX 980): Why Bios modding is mandatory for most cards if you want a stable overclock

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
I agree.
There is another way: disable OCP of NCP81174 and risk the health of VRM active components.
I studied the data sheet of above VRM controller and seems very easy to bypass the OCP hardware protection.
If someone has the time and is so brave to try, I can explain how and, if it works, he can take the honor of the mod. biggrin.gif

PNY GTX970 reference 81% with EK full waterblock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 17)
I am sure there is a hardmod and I already read about this somewhere, but TBH...those cards would be the last on my list I would want to push by any means smile.gif

Right now I am happy being able to run Heaven Benchmark for an hour at 1.187V at 1481 without Black Screen, knock on wood. Was pretty *issed yesterday since I could've sworn I tested for a long time at 1.200V and thought the problem was gone.

SOME of those cards, like the one I RMAed cannot even handle 110% power target at STOCK (!) clocks...imagine that. As I said somewhere else, that's what you get when a company wants to save money and uses cheap components..... EVGA is really good and super-fast with service and RMA....but they definitely don't impress "enthusiasts" with those SC cards...

Bios modding and flashing until the EEPROM smokes!! Yay!!
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brama View Post

If someone has the time and is so brave to try, I can explain how and, if it works, he can take the honor of the mod. biggrin.gif

I am curious nevertheless, it will likely involve some pencil mod, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexy123 View Post

Sure!

1481lol.zip 136k .zip file

Be aware:

This my personal BIOS for my SC ACX2.0 GTX 970 with an ASIC of 70%. On stock, it only boosted to 1.200V

After many tests I concluded that the card hits its limit at 1.212V, therefore I don't use the 1.212V.

It uses my tested 1481.0 at 1.200V where it's stable. Power limit is also slightly increased to 196W default and 206W max. Those cards are IMHO not designed to get pushed higher, not with that junk of a cooler. 196W is a good value to keep temps still reasonable. I haven't seen the card throttling in games (this was the main reason I modded in the first place)..:EXCEPT firestrike demo and some special cases which I think is where most cards throttle.

* Be also aware this is for the standard SC ACX2.0 cards which have a crappy voltage controller which does not go higher than 1.212V and which also doesn't allow setting voltage externally.

A SSC+ etc. uses entirely different components, it also has 1x6pin + 1x8pin...so use my BIOS only if you have a normal SC ACX2.0 card and think that it would do 1480..and you want it stable. (Obviously, SOME cards might get higher....but for me I found 1480 the best, 1510 etc. might black screen me out after an hour or so Heaven Benchmark, even at 1.212V)

Edit: The fact that I dont use the maximum possible Voltage of 1.212V in my bios has another advantage: It never reaches the voltage limit!

I copied your bios values to my G1 Gaming 970 bios and it turns out to be really nice, my FPS went down from 66 to 64 in Heaven from my old custom bios but the voltage and temperatures are way way better, it went down to 1481 at 1.2 vs 1531 at 1.275.
2 fps is nothing so I might keep depending if is stable. Thanks for sharing!
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValValdesky View Post

I copied your bios values to my G1 Gaming 970 bios and it turns out to be really nice, my FPS went down from 66 to 64 in Heaven from my old custom bios but the voltage and temperatures are way way better, it went down to 1481 at 1.2 vs 1531 at 1.275.
2 fps is nothing so I might keep depending if is stable. Thanks for sharing!

Try this one too:

1506-1.200V.zip 136k .zip file
(1506 at 1.200V)

1506.zip 136k .zip file
(1506 at 1.1870V)

The last one uses the max fom my boost table, 1506, at 1.187V. To my amazement my card is actually stable at that clock and voltage.The first one uses 1.200V as max voltage at 1506.

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

Yes, or better, you have to use conductive paint on a resistor in order to make a short circuit between two points and put always to 0 V the feedback used by VRM controller to trigger the OCP. wink.gif

PNY GTX970 reference 81% with EK full waterblock
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I found this thread while searching for a solution to the black screen you describe, I assume this thread is long dead but I have 2x Palit jet stream 970's in slip water cooled with ek full cover blocks.

Once liquid cooled and modded BIOS I ran into the black screen. my cards specs are the following

boost clock: 1304mhz
base:1174
power 100%: 180W
power 110%: 200W
max TABLE boost clock: 1493mhz
stock voltage: 1.262v
max table voltage: 1.281v

based on your findings I intend to test the following:

Boost:1493mhz
base:1174mhz
power 100%: 200W
power 110%: 220W
max table clock as above
voltage: 1.200

I am concerned this will not be enough voltage to be stable as the stock voltage on the cards seems to be higher than the OP's Strixx
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Quote:

I am planning to do that with my 980TI....
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexy123 View Post

Sure!

Be aware:

This my personal BIOS for my SC ACX2.0 GTX 970 with an ASIC of 70%. On stock, it only boosted to 1.200V

After many tests I concluded that the card hits its limit at 1.212V, therefore I don't use the 1.212V.

It uses my tested 1481.0 at 1.200V where it's stable. Power limit is also slightly increased to 196W default and 206W max. Those cards are IMHO not designed to get pushed higher, not with that junk of a cooler. 196W is a good value to keep temps still reasonable. I haven't seen the card throttling in games (this was the main reason I modded in the first place)..:EXCEPT firestrike demo and some special cases which I think is where most cards throttle.

* Be also aware this is for the standard SC ACX2.0 cards which have a crappy voltage controller which does not go higher than 1.212V and which also doesn't allow setting voltage externally.

A SSC+ etc. uses entirely different components, it also has 1x6pin + 1x8pin...so use my BIOS only if you have a normal SC ACX2.0 card and think that it would do 1480..and you want it stable. (Obviously, SOME cards might get higher....but for me I found 1480 the best, 1510 etc. might black screen me out after an hour or so Heaven Benchmark, even at 1.212V)

Edit: The fact that I dont use the maximum possible Voltage of 1.212V in my bios has another advantage: It never reaches the voltage limit!I found this thread because i was looking for a solution to core clock drop that I have for week now.So I try bios of other and try kboost and maximum performance in the nvidia control panel. I decide to look my TDP and temp to look if my card was throlling put my TDP was good and temp to. So after I found this I try
Quote:

Sure!

Be aware:

Edit: The fact that I dont use the maximum possible Voltage of 1.212V in my bios has another advantage: It never reaches the voltage limit!
Quote:

Sure!

Be aware:

I found this thread because i was looking for a solution to core clock speed drop. I try everything: made my own bios, try other bios, change TDP, use kboost and maximum performance in nvidia control panel. So i find your thread and try your bios but i still got core clock speed drop. When I look the voltage, I only go to 1,887 or lower, so my card is only between CLK 63 and CLK 71 for no reason. This is happening in all demanding game.But when i use Valley benchmark, it's only drop with MSAA off or with MSAA in high FPS scene. What can I do tho fix the problem?
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Uhm...the 1st thing you need to do is check and know WHY your core speed drops. There can be lots of reasons, like exceeding TDP, power limit, temperatures. Most likely it's dropping because the card might exceed its Power limit. Do you run MSI Afterburner or a similar tool where you can turn up your power limit? Also, if you run MSI Afterburner (or GPUZ, when you 'install' it) you can actually see the reasons why it's throttling/limiting. (In the line where it says "Perfcap reason")

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in