MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing

post #11 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WerePug View Post

I will quote myself in this thread, since the information is relevant to the OP:
Warning: Long Post (Click to show)

Wow!

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 04:12 AM
Sem
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
GM200 has been out in the wild for a while now and if the author was going to update MBT to fully support it i think he would have done it by now

i suspect nvidia has asked him not to update it to fully support GM200 and we are just lucky the old version 1.36 can still read the file in someway

noticed TPU doesnt have the stock bios from nvidia for GM200 but partner ones have now appeard maybe nvidia is silently cracking down on bios mods

post #13 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem View Post

GM200 has been out in the wild for a while now and if the author was going to update MBT to fully support it i think he would have done it by now

i suspect nvidia has asked him not to update it to fully support GM200 and we are just lucky the old version 1.36 can still read the file in someway

noticed TPU doesnt have the stock bios from nvidia for GM200 but partner ones have now appeard maybe nvidia is silently cracking down on bios mods

My guess is just that the dev has just moved to doing something else and overall trying to find which is the latest MBT and where to find is not exactly easy as many sites offer older versions than 1.36 and there is no central thread or site where you are guaranteed to get the latest version. I really doubt that it's something Nvidia would bother cracking down on as BIOS modded just make their cards even faster compared to the competition and the majority of consumers are not going to mod their BIOS.

If the original dev doesn't wan't to work with the software no more then (s)he should cram it on Github as open source and let others fix any bugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

In defense of the developer,
it seems that the "blame" and/or root cause of this may have been incorrectly placed exclusively on Maxwell BIOS Tweaker.

GM200 is used with Titan-X and 980Ti. MBT was released before GM200 existed and was developed for GM204. Compatibility testing with GM200 would have been impossible. NVIDIA changed things in the BIOS with GM200. Not how we thought initially, where MBT REQUIRED an update to allow access to the missing slider, but instead it looks like they did this to directly target MBT!

The GM200 BIOS itself has been what we may be able to describe as "Locked". IMHO it looks to me like NVIDIA is well aware of MBT and reverse engineered it to understand how to break it AKA: "Clock Blocking". The reason why is because thanks to WerePug for analyzing things that make my head explode (tongue.gif) we can see that the voltage sliders are still RIGHT THERE in the SAME PLACE as they were with GM204 BIOS'.

WerePug was able to figure out that MBT was expecting a certain range of values and if the range falls outside what MBT expects (BASED ON GM204 BIOS structure) the sliders will just disappear. After he modified the value to be within range of what MBT expects, the sliders re-appear in MBT 1.36!

Back to MBT itself:

I do still think we could use a NEW VERSION of MBT because we are forced to have to EDIT THE BIOS with a HEX EDITOR to restore the sliders. If MBT was updated to ignore a range and display the sliders regardless (or some other method to address the issue) we could be back to being able to edit ANY GM200 BIOS we open without hacking it first.

post #15 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Sem
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
interesting theory but if nvidia did target MBT with such a simple trick surely they would think the author would just update to fix it

unless he was asked not to

post #16 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem View Post

interesting theory but if nvidia did target MBT with such a simple trick surely they would think the author would just update to fix it

unless he was asked not to

Indeed, that is our mystery! biggrin.gif

Who knows, an complimentary 980Ti could persuade anyone (this would probably make him laugh reading all this! LMAO!)

jerry.gif

post #17 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 01:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
As much as the internet loves conspiracy theories, the more common answer is something much simpler like in this case MBT being based on "neat" values to avoid breaking a BIOS because it has "unusual" values. If Nvidia wanted to prevent BIOS mods they should've targeted things like clock speed or power target editing. Just saying, there would be far better ways to stop BIOS mods.
post #18 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxu View Post

As much as the internet loves conspiracy theories, the more common answer is something much simpler like in this case MBT being based on "neat" values to avoid breaking a BIOS because it has "unusual" values. If Nvidia wanted to prevent BIOS mods they should've targeted things like clock speed or power target editing. Just saying, there would be far better ways to stop BIOS mods.

Yes, a good point perhaps some kind of encryption implementation.

May the DEV was abducted by aliens? poke.gif

LOL JK biggrin.gif

post #19 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Has anyone tried the same trick to unhide MBT 1.36 voltage table sliders for GTX Titan X? BTW what about MBT source code - is it publicly available somewhere?
post #20 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 111)
I'd love to know what else is hidden in the BIOS. I just lack the knowledge to really know what to look for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in