MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing

post #21 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirt View Post

I'd love to know what else is hidden in the BIOS. I just lack the knowledge to really know what to look for.

There's always this biggrin.gif
https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/960#post_24118227

and especially

https://www.overclock.net/t/1544574/gigabyte-gtx-9xx-g1-gaming-h2o-air-bios-tweaking/1020#post_24122246

but personally, over my head..

If we could access more, we could get to things like memory voltage and memory timings...as well as screw things up worse I guess but that's the life of a Digital Gangsta wink.gif

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 25)
Nvidia always trying to discourage overclocking.....well I might hold back on getting a 980 Ti classified even further now.
post #23 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WerePug View Post

I will quote myself in this thread, since the information is relevant to the OP:
I have not tried this hack yet myself(first have to find out how it's possible on Titan X), but one of our fellows from overclockers.ru (he has 980Ti G1) has tried your mod. BIOS G1_Unlocked and experienced some voltage instability issues: he reported V drops from 1.224 to 1.2 V (lower limit with no overvoltage). This happens even in case of power limit is more than enough and temp is not high(far from throttling). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 32)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadTX View Post

I have not tried this hack yet myself(first have to find out how it's possible on Titan X), but one of our fellows from overclockers.ru (he has 980Ti G1) has tried your mod. BIOS G1_Unlocked and experienced some voltage instability issues: he reported V drops from 1.224 to 1.2 V (lower limit with no overvoltage). This happens even in case of power limit is more than enough and temp is not high(far from throttling). Any ideas?

The GM200 reacts a bit differently to these sliders than one would expect. I had that same issue on my MSI 6G. I fixed it by raising the second slider all the way up to 1.2813 - 1.2813, basically giving the binning mechanism no choice but to target the clocks with this voltage set as minimum (i think).

And the slider unlocking is possible on all GM200 cards, even the titan x, I already posted it in the owner's club of TX, but it didn't much capture the attention of anybody. Here is one of the Titan X BIOS' from the owners club with the sliders unlocked

GM200HC-MAXAIR2-Unlocked.zip 150k .zip file
post #25 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 AM
Sem
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
anychance we can get one for a reference 980 Ti nothing else touched just the sliders unocked

has anyone tried to contact the orginal author of the tool

post #26 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:

I will quote myself in this thread, since the information is relevant to the OP:
Warning: Long Post (Click to show)
Quote:

I have analyzed the file structure of the roms a bit.

I found out, that all voltages are defined in 34-byte long blocks. First 4 bytes are an integer value, defining min-voltage. This value is in milivolts times 1000. Which would make them microvolts, I suppose. Next 4 bytes are the max voltage for that definition.
~ CUT ~
The root of all evil rests with the base values for those sliders. In stock GM200 bios, those are 1150,675 - 1198,47 for the external regulation and 1190,349 - 1239,838 for the temp throttle. It would appear, that along with other "unkown" voltage table entries, the MBT discards values, that is doesn't consider "neat" (multiples of 100, I would assume). Therefore, changing the values to multiples 100 (what gm204 bioses have) caused them to appear in the GUI. I am assuming, this would work for the other unknown values as well, though no reason to poke that bear.

Thank you a lot for your work and sharing. In the end, is it the 2nd slider on your custom bios to avoid vdrop?
I've MSI 980TI Gaming 6G too.
My card over 70°c drop from 1,230v to 1,205v

MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G, Intel I7 3770K, AsRock Z77 Extreme 6, Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz 16GB, Coolermaster HAF XM.
post #27 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote:

And the slider unlocking is possible on all GM200 cards, even the titan x, I already posted it in the owner's club of TX, but it didn't much capture the attention of anybody. Here is one of the Titan X BIOS' from the owners club with the sliders unlocked

Thanks a lot, I was going to make such BIOS myself(with the help of your .rom editing trick), but now it is so much easier thumb.gif. I've actually stopped reading the TX owners thread lately, since it's quite hard to find useful messages there - too much posts nerdsmiley.png BTW do I correctly understand that your modified BIOS is the same as maxair 2, only it has overvoltage regulator unlocked and the default position(min=0mV overvoltage in PX) is the same as default for stock TX ref. BIOS, and the max position is the same as was locked in the original maxair = 1.26V? And so far no one owing TX has actually flashed and used your mod.?
post #28 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:

The GM200 reacts a bit differently to these sliders than one would expect. I had that same issue on my MSI 6G. I fixed it by raising the second slider all the way up to 1.2813 - 1.2813, basically giving the binning mechanism no choice but to target the clocks with this voltage set as minimum (i think).

GM200HC-MAXAIR2-Unlocked.zip 150k .zip file

Thanks for your efforts WerePug, this bios should work on 980ti correct? Obviously the same chip, but is there anything in the bios that is particular to titan x that would negatively impact a 980ti?
post #29 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1590 View Post

Thanks for your efforts WerePug, this bios should work on 980ti correct? Obviously the same chip, but is there anything in the bios that is particular to titan x that would negatively impact a 980ti?

No, that is a BIOS for a Titan-X only which is only available in one design, the reference design. A reference 980Ti would not be compatible with this BIOS as it is for a different GPU. They are both GM200 but all the 980Ti's have a lower CUDA core count and less EDIT: ROPs (texel clock) and half the memory. I wouldn't flash it, could brick your card.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #30 of 326 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 256)
Wow this sucks. I hate getting clock blocked.

On a 2nd note. Asus did something similar with the Strix series cards. Their voltage is locked except if you use the GPU Tweak utility...then you have some overvolting potential.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in