MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing - Page 33 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

MBT 1.36 and GM200 BIOS - Voltage sliders missing

post #321 of 326 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have been looking at your 980 Ti G1 AIR BIOS, and comparing it with what I have set in mine, particularly the power table.
You have yours set up so that by default the card maxes out at 316w, with an increase to 475w using A/B.
I have mine set up so that by default the card maxes out at 425w (sum of pci slot plus 2x8pin), with an increase to 426w using A/B (to combat wake bug if these figures arent different).

I have it this way so that I do not have to use an overclocking tool. My card runs at 1455/2000/1.1625v until it hits 84c, where it begins to step down the frequency, but not the voltage. It's not a major issue as the temperature doesn't go higher, but if the voltage stepped down when thermal throttling, it probably wouldn't drop down so many bins. Fan is configured in bios to be running at 100% by 85c.

I don't have the thermal headroom to run the card at 1.237v set in your bios. I have reseated the cooler and applied decent paste...I suspect case airflow isn't as good as it could be, Fractal Design R3, drive cages restrict airflow... Luckily it is happy with a lower voltage!

Is there a functional difference between setting my power limit high in the bios vs setting it lower and using A/B to increase it to the higher figure set in BIOS?

Last edited by LadFromWales; 05-03-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #322 of 326 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Oh I will give it to you straight

Nope no functional difference

Are you mining? If so then my logic changes.. I am going to assume you are gaming...

As you found there is an alternate way to allow the default power and voltage values to be basically identical to the max values (so you don't need to use an O/C utility).

You can pull 475W from 8+8+slot with a 980Ti, in fact the BIOS is configured for 475W because it was needed believe it or not. I found certain conditions where even 450W was not enough power to prevent power throttling. These are not typical conditions but they exist nonetheless. If you have enough power in the PSU and you want to make sure you NEVER hit a power limit, you'll need to use the values I have defined for all power values and have enough power in the PSU (just FYI)

When you restrict voltage you will not see lower voltages during limited throttling conditions because you've already capped voltages from where they would have normally been, and those clocks, as they drop and map to the voltage table, are likely still within the normal range defined for that CLK...

I can understand your concerns for heat however the solution is to lower the ambient temps in the room and/or utilize proper cooling/airflow, not restrict your GPU (and wonder why it doesn't behave normally ). Lowering the voltage to address a heat issue is simply the very LAST resort if you cannot solve the problem ANY other way... and at that point the LAST thing you want to do is attempt to run a modified BIOS that is going to increase heat output.

Lastly, with performance comes penalty.. and having a high performance PC with the case closed, AIR cooled, is basically just an oven. Unless you've really done your homework with cooling (and have a case big enough to support it) you are probably going to have to run with the side panel off. Simply removing the side panel from a PC can help tremendously with GPU/CPU thermal issues, as long as the ambient temps are also kept low.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #323 of 326 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

I have been using a lower voltage because I have found that for my particular card, at the freqencies I am running it at, that I don't need to put more voltage through it for the card to be stable.

I am testing two different methods of obtaining the clock speed I am looking to attain. One is using the stock bios and voltage table, but with the boost table risen so that clock 60 falls on the clock speed I want, 1455, at 1.187v. Once the card heats up to 72c it drops to 1442/1.168v, 85c drops to 1430/1.149v etc down to 1404/1.124v, which has passed three looks of the FF benchmark. I can't say for sure that it'd remain stable should it dip further, but it took three loops to get the card hot enough for it to drop that far.

And of course your fixed voltage method, which pegs the core at the requested frequency until it hits the set thermal limit, where it'll begin dropping the frequency, further than the above method. Though with this method, stability is guaranteed, as the voltage is remaining at 1.168v throughout. This voltage is the voltage the stock bios runs the card at, when left unfettled. The stock bios drops down through voltages when it drops frequency, as does the above method.

I suspect that if I ran the card at 1.23v as specified in your bios, that the card will consume more power (not an issue, 850w XFX PSU), and throttle sooner and harder. I may try it though, just to see if the voltage reduces under heavy load/heat too. It just seems unnecessary to run 1.23v through the core when 1.168v is enough to be stable at 1455MHz (it'll actually loop FF once at 1506 so I am confident it is happy with 1455 at 1.168v.

EDIT:1.1
Took the stock bios and mirrored your settings, besides setting the power maxes at max together so no OC software, and when under load, the card starts at 1.212v and quickly drops to 1.199v, VREL, clocks 1278 to 1265...weird!

Last edited by LadFromWales; 05-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #324 of 326 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 501 (Unique: 266)
Something isn't right, the BIOS doesn't behave like that.. there is no throttling if there is sufficient power/voltage allowed.

When the GPU boosts it is going to be hitting CLKs in the 70's but your voltage limitation is causing these issues.

To see exactly what I am talking about, here's how you can see that you either have VREL or VOL perfcaps, most likely VREL.

(1) Open GPU-z and switch to the sensor tab
(2) Change the logging interval to .5 seconds (the latest version of GPU-z buries this setting under the sensor tab of the preferences area)
(3) Click the LOG TO FILE option on the sensor tab

Go run some benchmarks or play some games for at least 15 minutes

Save the entire log, zip it and upload it here so I can see what is going on.

Example of when things are working properly, you get NO percaps (UTIL = IDLE)
My voltage is higher because I'm using the H2O BIOS but the behavior is identical across all MUMOD BIOS'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no throttle.png
Views:	17
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	174209  

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #325 of 326 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

It looks as though the second set of voltage sliders do more than just configure how much voltage is allowed to be added in an OC app.
I set them both to the same, 1.2375v, and the card runs without perfcaps, briefly, when running Superposition.
Working as intended, but the card gets too hot too fast in my case at that voltage!
I have attached a log anyway

1600MHz on your 980 Ti under water, nice! I have a feeling mine would do quite well under water as it certainly doesn't need 1.2375v to be stable at 1455MHz.

I plan on doing a new build soon, R7 2700X etc, and a new case with an aim of improving airflow. It's not terrible currently, I can imagine there are 980 Ti's stuffed into much worse cases than a Fractal R3 with high speed fans in the front and back!

EDIT: added a log for the card configured to run at 1.168v, had to run Superposition twice to reach thermal throttle at that voltage.

EDIT AGAIN:
I have tried another method, posted here https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nv...l#post23897936
Essentially due to Maxwell not wanting to throttle down correctly when configuring boost to go to 74, it is based around configuring your desired frequency to rest on the bin the card boosts to by default, in my case, 60.
Bin 60 set at the volts you want, in my case 1.1625v-1.1625v, and stepping down each bin from there to 35 by one notch. I have configured 1455.5 to fall on bin 60.
But I've come across something weird.
If I set GPC XBAR L2C SYS max to the boost tables max which is 1633.0, I get VREL VOP and occasionally PWR soon after stressing the card BUT no frequency throttle until 82c. TDP showing around 65%
If I set GPC XBAR L2C SYS max to my desired overclock, 1455.5, I get no perfcaps until 82c, and even then only VREL, but with the same frequency step down at 82c too.
Ahh, GPC being set higher brings these reported Perfcaps, but no actual change in performance vs setting it to the same as bin 60 1455.

I think I'll leave it like this, the card doesn't heat up as fast with LPC SYS and XBAR set to 1455.5 also, and there is no throttling until 82c, and voltage is stepping down also when this occurs, so freqencies stay higher overall.
Will probably change things again once the card is in a different case/I put it under water!
Attached Files
File Type: zip GPU-Z Sensor Log.zip (3.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: zip GPU-Z Sensor Log-1.168v.txt.zip (6.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by LadFromWales; 05-05-2018 at 05:23 AM.
post #326 of 326 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by LadFromWales View Post
It looks as though the second set of voltage sliders do more than just configure how much voltage is allowed to be added in an OC app.
I set them both to the same, 1.2375v, and the card runs without perfcaps, briefly, when running Superposition.
Working as intended, but the card gets too hot too fast in my case at that voltage!
I have attached a log anyway

1600MHz on your 980 Ti under water, nice! I have a feeling mine would do quite well under water as it certainly doesn't need 1.2375v to be stable at 1455MHz.

I plan on doing a new build soon, R7 2700X etc, and a new case with an aim of improving airflow. It's not terrible currently, I can imagine there are 980 Ti's stuffed into much worse cases than a Fractal R3 with high speed fans in the front and back!

EDIT: added a log for the card configured to run at 1.168v, had to run Superposition twice to reach thermal throttle at that voltage.

EDIT AGAIN:
I have tried another method, posted here https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-n...l#post23897936
Essentially due to Maxwell not wanting to throttle down correctly when configuring boost to go to 74, it is based around configuring your desired frequency to rest on the bin the card boosts to by default, in my case, 60.
Bin 60 set at the volts you want, in my case 1.1625v-1.1625v, and stepping down each bin from there to 35 by one notch. I have configured 1455.5 to fall on bin 60.
But I've come across something weird.
If I set GPC XBAR L2C SYS max to the boost tables max which is 1633.0, I get VREL VOP and occasionally PWR soon after stressing the card BUT no frequency throttle until 82c. TDP showing around 65%
If I set GPC XBAR L2C SYS max to my desired overclock, 1455.5, I get no perfcaps until 82c, and even then only VREL, but with the same frequency step down at 82c too.
Ahh, GPC being set higher brings these reported Perfcaps, but no actual change in performance vs setting it to the same as bin 60 1455.

I think I'll leave it like this, the card doesn't heat up as fast with LPC SYS and XBAR set to 1455.5 also, and there is no throttling until 82c, and voltage is stepping down also when this occurs, so freqencies stay higher overall.
Will probably change things again once the card is in a different case/I put it under water!

I looked at the guide you linked to by Flexy123 and confused on one point. If my default boost for the gpu is 1304 but it auto boosts to 1430 on stock bios at clock state 61 is that the clock state I work on?

Thanks

Save with EVGA. Associate code: K8XL098LGS5O4WZ
Z390 Master
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 FTW2 SLI
RAM
Gskill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 PRO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
Custom water loop
Operating System
Windows 10 64
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in