GTX 1070/1080/TITAN X(2ND GEN) BIOS - Who has it? - Page 60 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

GTX 1070/1080/TITAN X(2ND GEN) BIOS - Who has it?

Closed Thread

post #591 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbtk View Post

I think you may be confusing the memory installed in the 1080 and 1070.
Correct speaking for 1070 here...While tried some MSI BIOSes and the OC of the memory with them was almost not possible. Didn't take into an account it was about 1080..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:03 AM
stock...hahaha

Rep: 124 (Unique: 87)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStealth View Post

Correct speaking for 1070 here...While tried some MSI BIOSes and the OC of the memory with them was almost not possible. Didn't take into an account it was about 1080..

I figured it was just a temporary brain fade. It is Monday after all
post #593 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
wow this place is huge mess people are crazy all this work cross flashing risk of bricking GPUs for slightly higher score and measly 2-3 fps gain ill wait for proper BIOS mod support to remove power limit.

5960X 4.5 / X99 Pro/ 2017 Titan Xp/ XB270HU 165Hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #594 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
what is a best bios for evga founders 1080??? i'm confused:o
post #595 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:52 AM
LiquidHaus Founder

Rep: 76 (Unique: 70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasK1234Xw View Post

wow this place is huge mess people are crazy all this work cross flashing risk of bricking GPUs for slightly higher score and measly 2-3 fps gain ill wait for proper BIOS mod support to remove power limit.

for real.

but what gets me the most is this:

so many randoms coming in here "whats the best bios for my card"

READ. there are 60 pages of info. though I shouldn't say 60, since the past 15 pages have been full of people asking the same questions because they cant bother to read what others are posting about.

www.liquid.haus
Team Heatkiller
post #596 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 331 (Unique: 242)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStealth View Post

Just have in mind this "Memory Support
GDDR5X, Micron"
While flashed on Samsung memory will highly restrict the overclocking abilities smile.gif)

There is no Samsung memory on any GTX 1080 card. No one makes GDDR5X besides Micron, and there are no other models of GDDR5X except 1 model for each speed grade, so all cards have exactly the same memory. GTX 1070's now, that is a different story since they use regular GDDR5.

EDIT: oops I guess gtbtk already covered it.

post #597 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 499 (Unique: 264)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasK1234Xw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisshort117 View Post

for real.

but what gets me the most is this:

so many randoms coming in here "whats the best bios for my card"

READ. there are 60 pages of info. though I shouldn't say 60, since the past 15 pages have been full of people asking the same questions because they cant bother to read what others are posting about.

...this

It's all fun and games until someone loses a GPU. rolleyes.gif

¯\(°_o)/¯

bottom line (Click to show)
All we can do is try to educate/warn.. others will skip the reading/research and/or not care...

MOST Pascal cards are simply POWER LIMITED. This is where this all started. If you have a single 8-pin connector, you will ALWAYS be power limited. Flashing another BIOS isn't going to add an additional 6 or 8-pin PCI-e. TDP/MAX POWER increases are possible by flashing another BIOS. There are some vendors that offer a "GTX 1080" and will also offer a "O/C GTX 1080" where the identical PCB is used but the BIOS is slightly tweaked to offer a factory overclock. There's NO GUARANTEE but it might be possible that the "O/C BIOS" has a higher TDP/MAX POWER limit. Some have reported this and have been successful but it's really not being tracked/logged to share. It's a matter of fishing through 60 pages of posts.

Known safe flashing = reference to reference. IDENTICAL custom PCB to custom PCB. Both assuming the memory type is identical also.

Any cross-flashing using a BIOS from a different PCB design (reference or custom, if it's different than yours) is taking a risk (up to and including bricking) and if you don't brick it you may find oddities like someone mentioned they lost 1,000 max RPM on the fans. Instability because the voltage controller is different and voltage is unstable. Artifacts because the memory is running at the wrong voltage and/or timings. It's REALLY NO DIFFERENT than flashing a BIOS from a different model motherboard with the same chipset as yours.. in theory... although the MB flashing would be much more risky you get the point. It's a BIOS intended for a DIFFERENT GPU DESIGN (even if it has the same GP104 chip soldered).

Right now we have the luxury of all the cards being new and there's LIMITED brands of memory in use (some reduced risk now). Over time, just like every other Maxwell GPU, there's going to be a mix of memory... Micron, Samsung, Eplida, Hynix (SHYNIX) will be out there and the risks when this happens will INCREASE. People are already noting that different memory brands are started to be seen. You really want the BIOS for your specific memory type because I know for a fact that vendors use a different BIOS when they change memory types (at least with Maxwell cards).

A couple FPS isn't worth it... it really isn't..

What we REALLY need is the BIOS editor (and much patience) redface.gif. This should allow us to manipulate the behavior to get the most out of our GPUs. Even these "O/C BIOS'" are limited and would be further modded if we had the editor. This means puzzling throttle points could potentially be removed (voltage, power and thermal). Custom fan curve could be added in BIOS to compensate for pushing the GPU harder. Boost clocks could be modified to not be variable (WYSIWYG). The maximum power for each PCI-e connector could be added. These are all changes (and there's more) that have NOTHING TO DO (directly) with trying to overclock the GPU higher. These changes would take the STOCK BIOS and manipulate the behavior at those STOCK parameters and basically help maintain the same maximum overclock you currently have without throttling down like everyone is reporting.

You want to overclock higher? It's probably MORE of a silicon lottery than ever before.
It seems to me that ASIC% and voltage is almost completely irrelevant with Pascal.

We saw this trend (with a MOD BIOS).
Kepler = ASIC% meant something. Additional Voltage mattered and usually meant higher overclocks (almost guaranteed). A low ASIC% may put you over the threshold of not being able to supply enough voltage to reach the particular chip's maximum overclock therefore a high ASIC% was desired. Too much voltage meant too much heat.

Maxwell = ASIC% was almost irrelevant. Additional voltage helped some but not all. Mixed bag. All Maxwell chips could reach maximum overclock potential of any given chip with the voltage range that was realistically available (between 1.2v and 1.29v) which meant that having a low ASIC% didn't mean you couldn't reach your max overclock it just meant you might have slightly higher heat output when reaching it.

Pascal = ASIC% may be completely irrelevant. Voltage doesn't seem to matter much for most. The fabrication process is so tiny now (remember they skipped 22nm and went from 32nm to 16nm). We haven't been able to thoroughly test this yet. So far, indications point to additional voltage leading to instability not higher performance. As the trend shows, ASIC% and voltage is even LESS important overall now.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #598 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
its hard to read 60 pages and not know if you will find the info... big threads like this usually have a first page summary which summarises what people discovered along the way. it would make the thread much cleaner and less noise.

things like which bioses have been linked, what works etc.
post #599 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Maximum_Unleashed

Rep: 499 (Unique: 264)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post

its hard to read 60 pages and not know if you will find the info... big threads like this usually have a first page summary which summarises what people discovered along the way. it would make the thread much cleaner and less noise.

things like which bioses have been linked, what works etc.

This is a very small thread actually... one of my other threads has 595 pages and it's very well organized in the OP.

I want to make it clear that I'm not speaking or referring to any individual I am speaking "in general". I also want to make it clear that this thread was never intended to facilitate/encourage/foster cross-flashing. I toyed with the idea of trying to help organize this (and only one or two people were interested in sharing detailed results) so it was a bust. After I thought about it more, I'm not going to organize this. This isn't something I want to be a part of really. Cross-flashing and bricking GPUs is not what I'm into. I'm into doing things "correctly / properly" TBH.

This thread was really not intended for this. It was intended to get our hands on a Pascal BIOS to view the parameters and start to MOD it... reality slapped us all in the face when we couldn't even read a single value (initially). Then people started posting BIOS' (as they were asked) but we couldn't look at ANY of them...impatience built..

Many asked about the editor and got bad news... sorry there is no editor at this time.

Instead of waiting (which may be forever but it's life) cross-flashing orgies started. Some have reported bricking and who knows how many others didn't report and/or can't get back on the site to report it due to a bricked GPU.

I think it's time for this to end. Like I said, I just don't want to be part of bricking GPUs. I would suggest if people want to cross-flash they should do so at their own/desire and risk silently and not encourage others to do so. If there's a "home run hit" and there's SIGNIFICANT improvement by flashing another BIOS, and it is THOROUGHLY TESTED, I would write up a DETAILED post and post it in the owner's club for that card if you feel it will benefit others.

Thank you all for your time. I wish we had a Pascal editor and this thread was able to go in a different direction.

MODERATOR, please close this thread and thank you.

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx G1 GAMING BIOS Tweaking
  ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=༼ຈل͜ຈ༽=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿  
░▒▓│ FORKAY‼ «  » WΘΘT ‼ │▓▒░
Xeon E5-1680 V2 (IVY-E) Inside

post #600 of 600 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 46)
FWIW thanks for the thread.

Yes, not a lot of patience. People want answers and they want then now. Although the thread has moved away from your intentions it has nonetheless brought some answers to those questions so a big thanks for that. thumb.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in